C4 Forums | Control4

MyQ DriverCentral driver now completely dead?

pfissure

I have been using the DriverCentral MyQ driver for my Liftmaster garage door.  Yes it has been working just fine.  Until today.  Talking with DriverCentral support they told me that existing accounts had been grandfathered (meaning that Liftmaster was allowing their driver to communicate but only on existing accounts, not any newly created accounts).

But as of today my existing account (havent changed username or password) can no longer check in through the driver.  

I think I am not the only one that was still able to use this driver.  Is there anyone out there that had been using it, is it still working for you?

Thanks.

This is a sad state of affairs for both C4 and Liftmaster.  I continue to be befuddled why Liftmaster has MyQ enabled on Claire Controls (also semi-owned by SnapAV/SnapOne) versus it not working at all with Control4.

I have emailed the person in charge of integrations with Liftmaster and got the blow-off response we'd all expect.

Just such a glaring hole in complete home automation when the largest single opening of your home cannot be monitored through Control4.

I'm sending another email now...

We are also sad about this :(   Here’s our official statement.  

“The developers regret to inform you that the LiftMaster MyQ driver is no longer functional as Liftmaster appears to have moved their API endpoints. As Liftmaster does not have a publically available api the developers are unable to update the driver to regain functionality and therefore the driver will no longer work in Control4. At this time there is no available fix for this issue. Over the last couple years the developers (as well as Control4) have contacted LiftMaster on numerous occasions to update the driver with the official API but unfortunately LiftMaster was not interested in developing the relationship.

If you would like to keep many of the features of the Garage Agent with Liftmaster without the cloud communication you may use the Garage Agent found on the DriverCentral website. That driver does require hardwiring to the motor and using a Nyce sensor or wired contact to give the status of the garage door state. Please let us know if you have any further questions.”

This is my #1 reason why I don't like cloud-based solutions.

They can stop working out from under you, on the whim of someone in accounting at a corporate office miles away from you, and no accountability from the manufacturer when this happens...

For garage doors, nothing beats hard-wired sensors and a hard-wired relay connection to the door open / close button on the wall-mounted GDO controller.

No latency issues, no cloud issues, no firmware version issues...  Easy to setup, you don't need anyone's permission, just a little soldering to a couple of contacts, and installation of door position sensors on the rails.

Mine ALWAYS works, and since I have 2 sensors on the door, I know when it's fully opened, fully closed, and somewhere in-between those 2 states, and knowing that allows me to also know definitively when it's opening vs. closing.

RyanE

1 minute ago, pfissure said:

do you (or anyone) have a howto you could share?  i think its time my 16 yr-old learned how to solder.

depending on what kind of garage door opener you have you may not even have to solder. I didnt. I have a hard wired relay from an io extender to the garage door main unit and a hard wired sensor from the garage door to the io extender (except for my basement garage door that has the sensor going through the security system). works perfect. Search on this forum as there are multiple threads on how to do this.

Although if you have the liftmaster you may have to solder to an opener.

Here's one person's solution:
https://josh.buhler.me/post/c4-garage/

p.s. Better to learn soldering when you are young.  My 56 year old eyes and hand stability make it harder to do soldering on stuff that is pretty small.  If he enjoys that then you should look into Raspberry Pi projects - lots of cool stuff to do there and not much risk as the Pi is so cheap.

1 minute ago, therockhr said:

depending on what kind of garage door opener you have you may not even have to solder.

I have Chamberlain openers that are about 7-8 years old and you can still wire them to a simple relay.  I started doing this last year but never finished the job.

How do you deal with closing a relay as you want it to be a momentary close rather than switch from Open to Closed?  Is there a way to do this in C4?

14 minutes ago, pfissure said:

do you (or anyone) have a howto you could share?  i think its time my 16 yr-old learned how to solder.

https://www.garadget.com/product/security-2-0-wireless-3-door-dry-contact-adapter/

just buy this and wire into a relay (back of a controller, Z2IO, IO Extender, etc)

I think that is all you need to open/close

Sensors are another story.

58 minutes ago, Cinegration said:

We are also sad about this :(   Here’s our official statement.  

“The developers regret to inform you that the LiftMaster MyQ driver is no longer functional as Liftmaster appears to have moved their API endpoints. As Liftmaster does not have a publically available api the developers are unable to update the driver to regain functionality and therefore the driver will no longer work in Control4. At this time there is no available fix for this issue. Over the last couple years the developers (as well as Control4) have contacted LiftMaster on numerous occasions to update the driver with the official API but unfortunately LiftMaster was not interested in developing the relationship.

If you would like to keep many of the features of the Garage Agent with Liftmaster without the cloud communication you may use the Garage Agent found on the DriverCentral website. That driver does require hardwiring to the motor and using a Nyce sensor or wired contact to give the status of the garage door state. Please let us know if you have any further questions.”

For those with the MyQ driver who paid for it - will they have to purchase the Garage Agent or will it be "free" given they paid for the more expensive MyQ driver?

18 minutes ago, zaphod said:

How do you deal with closing a relay as you want it to be a momentary close rather than switch from Open to Closed?  Is there a way to do this in C4?

Yes, momentary is one of the settings for a relay output.  In Control4-land, it's called 'Pulse', as opposed to 'Toggle', and the Pulse option has a pulse length.

RyanE

RelayProperties.png

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

For those with the MyQ driver who paid for it - will they have to purchase the Garage Agent or will it be "free" given they paid for the more expensive MyQ driver?

No charge to move over to the garage agent.  The same LiftMaster license will also unlock the garage agent :).  

8 hours ago, zaphod said:

Can the Z2IO drive two relays and two sensors?  I have two garage doors.

Yes to drive the doors, not sure about also take in 2 wired sensors as I have wireless NYCE sensors. Very small and work really well over 1 year no battery issues as yet. 

9 minutes ago, anon2828 said:

why can't one of the smarter programmers on here make some type of intermediate program that would still allow those of us stuck with MyQ to integrate with Control4?

cause MyQ requires partners to pay a LOT to use their APIs and control4 doesn't allow developers to publish drivers using "hacked" APIs.

MyQ was either smart, or dumb.

They either intended to corner the market and then extort fees.
Or
They didn't expect the adoption rate, have no means of recurring fees, and are looking for revenue to maintain a service they created that's an expense on the balance sheet.

Some vendors charge more for product to allow for support, upgrades, etc. Others intentionally build junk for a quick rebuy cycle.
Garage door openers are at best a 15 year buy cycle, that's a lot of server usage, app support, for a one time purchase without a yearly fee.

Somebody's got to pay.
If their extortion isn't successful, they'll have to start charging the owners or raise prices which would make them less competitive on the shelf.

I have a Global Cache GC-100 in my garage for this, but the problem is how to connect into my network.  Right now I am using an old router as a Wifi bridge but it isn't working consistently. So I need to either feed in a CAT-5/6 cable or come up with a Zigbee solution of some sort. Or try something else.

By the way the GC-100 is a very cost effective unit for IR, relays and sensors as you can generally get them for very cheap on ebay. But they need ethernet to connect to the outside world.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.