C4 Forums | Control4

MyQ DriverCentral driver now completely dead?

pfissure

12 hours ago, zaphod said:

Can the Z2IO drive two relays and two sensors?  I have two garage doors.

No.

It's configurable to ONE of the following modes:

1. 2 relays
2. 4 contacts
3. 1 relay and 2 contacts
4. SPDT relay
5. DPST relay

If Genie can have Control4 integration out of the box, why not MyQ?

It is ridiculous.  Someone at Control4 needs to get their heads straight and fix this mess.  I get that there are options to hardwire, or rip out my openers and get Genie (which doesn't support Amazon in-garage deliveries which are gold), but when we decided on Control4, MyQ was supported and we purchased the Liftmaster openers based on that.  I don't want to hassle with hard wiring (recognizing the advantages of not relying on cloud based services), I just want it to work.  I'd even pay something reasonable per year to have it work.

20 minutes ago, anon2828 said:

It is ridiculous.  Someone at Control4 needs to get their heads straight and fix this mess.  I get that there are options to hardwire, or rip out my openers and get Genie (which doesn't support Amazon in-garage deliveries which are gold), but when we decided on Control4, MyQ was supported and we purchased the Liftmaster openers based on that.  I don't want to hassle with hard wiring (recognizing the advantages of not relying on cloud based services), I just want it to work.  I'd even pay something reasonable per year to have it work.

Why not try IFTTT?  Buy the driver and program it to open/close your garage door?

I feel your pain and C4 did get their head straight - they do not allow 3rd parties to reverse engineer drivers anymore.  MyQ driver was built prior to that decision.  So they were allowed to keep it active but not sell new licenses.  

ive been burned a few times so I’ve learned when possible buy devices that have native C4 drivers and/or do not require cloud integrations. Just less fail points. 

57 minutes ago, anon2828 said:

It's not Control4's fault.
Liftmaster is trying to extort money from those who want to integrate. If Control4 paid them, then everyone will put their handout and we'd really be screwed as an industry.
No idea what their deals are with their "partners" they list, but that's the scoop I heard regarding Control4.
Liftmasters the bad guy here.

3 hours ago, anon2828 said:

It is ridiculous.  Someone at Control4 needs to get their heads straight and fix this mess.  ... I'd even pay something reasonable per year to have it work.

2 hours ago, RAV said:

It's not Control4's fault.
Liftmaster is trying to extort money from those who want to integrate. If Control4 paid them, then everyone will put their handout and we'd really be screwed as an industry.
No idea what their deals are with their "partners" they list, but that's the scoop I heard regarding Control4.
Liftmasters the bad guy here.

Stated policy is that they will not pay - because they will not charge for a driver (they support). And no, you cannot opt to pay a yearly fee, it would be per call to the driver.

You really ant to hand out a CC and pay every time you open and close the door, plus the regular poll for curtrent state?

The third party drvier was using a back-door option, and were asked to cease sales, and I guess now are blocked.

I understand the technicalities, but it is still a total bummer.  When we were designing the house I was not as familiar with C4 as I am now, so the difference between a native and 3rd party driver was not known to me (and I am certain others are in the same situation).

The implementation I have of MyQ also uses HomeKit.  Is there any way to have Control4 allow for control through HomeKit?  I am aware of the HomeKit bridge - wonder if that could work - would you still get the icons on the Navigator showing garage door status?

What I really want to be able to do is to glance at C4 at the end of the night and see the garage door status, door lock status, alarm status, etc.  The only thing missing for me is the garage door...

1 hour ago, anon2828 said:

I understand the technicalities, but it is still a total bummer.  When we were designing the house I was not as familiar with C4 as I am now, so the difference between a native and 3rd party driver was not known to me (and I am certain others are in the same situation).

The implementation I have of MyQ also uses HomeKit.  Is there any way to have Control4 allow for control through HomeKit?  I am aware of the HomeKit bridge - wonder if that could work - would you still get the icons on the Navigator showing garage door status?

What I really want to be able to do is to glance at C4 at the end of the night and see the garage door status, door lock status, alarm status, etc.  The only thing missing for me is the garage door...

20 minutes ago, Dave w said:

so if I am replacing my openers and throwing the LiftMasters in the trash what should I buy that does work and will keep working with C4?

The proper solution is to hard wire LiftMaster keypads and 3rd party connect sensors. That has ALWAYS been the case. It's not just Control4. 

9 hours ago, Dave w said:

so if I am replacing my openers and throwing the LiftMasters in the trash what should I buy that does work and will keep working with C4?

I believe Genie is an option with a driver that doesn't get broken every once in a while.

I have no idea how to solder and I soldered(had to buy some cheap supplies) my liftmaster remote in 30 minutes.  I called my dealer and installed two Nyce tilt sensors.  Then i programmed the two buttons that I soldered to the buttons on my garage remote.  Then I plugged my soldered wires into my controllers contact switches.

didn't need no z2io either.  less than an afternoon of work and done.  The only catch is that your garage remote needs to work from your rack locations.  if it doesn't then you might need the z2io.

This is easy and way more reliable than the cloud options I have tried in the past.

14 minutes ago, RyanE said:

It's not all that complicated or expensive to hard wire, and a *LOT* easier and less expensive than replacing the garage door opener(s).

Better solution all around.

RyanE

I'm just sorry i didn't do it sooner and wasted sooo much time on trying to make the various cloud driver options work

If you're going to use a z2io per door, I recommend getting 2 contacts right off the bat.  It's not any harder to wire up both an 'opened' and a 'closed' contact at the same time, and you then get the benefit of knowing when the door is 'partially opened', and also knowing when it's opening / closing.

The Garage Door experience button shows all 3 states (plus 'unknown'), which is nice for 'real' feedback.

RyanE

9 minutes ago, slash007 said:

No way to have someone make a custom driver?

Control4 does not recommend 3rd parties create drivers without permission for API access of the manufacturer, and if one is created due to 'backdoor' access to an API, may be removed from Control4 projects.

Front door or no door, unfortunately, and unless the manufacturer is willing to play nice with their API, the customer suffers.

Sorry.

RyanE

P.S.  Probably cheaper to hardwire the existing installation than buy a 3rd-party driver.

for those interested - photo of the remote and then the inside of the remote and how to solder the wires.  when you open the remote the circuit board will be showing the other side (with the battery).  flip it over.  the areas where I did the solder are for the button all the way to the left (Big button) and then the button all the way to the right.  we do not use the middle button (just how the garage door installer set up our 2 door garage).

If using a relay one wire goes into COM, one goes into NO.  done.

Sensors you can hardwire or get the NYCE wireless tilt ones.

This remote is in my rack next to my EA5 easily 60-80' from the door yet it still works perfectly at that distance.

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 8.06.05 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 8.07.16 AM.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.