C4 Forums | Control4

IR INputs

Taylor

I don't think they are enabled yet. What kind of RF remote is it? Is it one with an RF base to IR Emitter?

I was talking to a tech at C4 (Jeff Golightly) that said you can write IP drivers, so it may be possible to route it through a computer until the IR receiver starts listening and there are DC's that can be sent to it.

I am going to contact him to this message to see if he knows a way.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it has come time that I need this functionality. Does anyone have any ideas about controlling basic commands via IR/Serial? This is my project for today, and I think it will help others a lot if we can get this figured out. Hit me up and let's get this thing going! I'll call C4 right now and see if there are any options for that.

Pretty much the only functionality I need is to be able to select a source for the digital audio stream. AKA XM Radio --> Media Controller --> STREAM --> Home Theater Controller

It would be awesome if I could get more than that, but that's a start anyway.

Well, I just got off the phone with tech support and they say it is a no go. I'm not willing to give up that easily though. Have you ever gotten ahold of Jeff yet? There has got to be someway to control these devices externally. The tech I spoke with said that the IR Inputs in the back of the MC are there to LEARN IR codes, not accept them. Not sure how that helps at all, but that's what he said. Anyone have any ideas?

The sad thing is that I've tried to work something like that out in my mind before:( I read in the reading that I received during training. They have the IR INputs listed as inputs that allow a device (such as a remote) to send IR commands and the MC Reads them! It says that's what it's supposed to do in the stinking literature!!! Anyway, it's obviously not available yet. Really, it should be a simple programming thing. Even give 10 commands (more would be great, but 10 would work) and have those commands set as an option in programmning. Then, under each command, be able to program macros. That way, whenever the command is receives, it triggers the macro. Simple eh?

The sad thing is that I've tried to work something like that out in my mind before:( I read in the reading that I received during training. They have the IR INputs listed as inputs that allow a device (such as a remote) to send IR commands and the MC Reads them! It says that's what it's supposed to do in the stinking literature!!! Anyway, it's obviously not available yet. Really, it should be a simple programming thing. Even give 10 commands (more would be great, but 10 would work) and have those commands set as an option in programmning. Then, under each command, be able to program macros. That way, whenever the command is receives, it triggers the macro. Simple eh?

Great Idea man...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived