C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Thermostat Logging

Schrader

I recently had a garage heater installed and am going to be using a Control4 thermostat. I'd like to log the heater usage for the first few weeks so I can try and determine the most efficient temperature to set it at. I'd like to know when the heater turns on, when the heater turn off, and what the temperature is inside/outside when these events happen.

So here's what I think I need to to:

1) Determine indoor temperature. Easy enough, thermostat has temperature.

1) Determine outdoor temperature. I have a CA Wireless contact sensor in the garage for my garage doors. I know these have the option for a remote sensor. What sensor do I need?

2) Track heater usage. I see there's a 'fan state changed' programming option, but I'm unsure what my options are here besides an email notification. I could email myself the outdoor temperature every time the fan state changed and manually figure out heater run times and indoor/outdoor temperature differentials from there.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks!

I

2) Determine outdoor temperature. I have a CA Wireless contact sensor in the garage for my garage doors. I know these have the option for a remote sensor. What sensor do I need?

Here is the sensor that CardAccess sells. I am sure there are others but this is the one that CardAccess includes with the garage kit

http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/automation/products/index.php?a=details&i=EXT10A

I think trying to pull this kind of reporting out of C4 is going to be painful. Not impossible, but very painful.

You might be better off with a kill a watt style meter and a temp. logger. You would have to manually enter the data, but it would be easier than trying to get it all into C4.

If you have a TED meter, you could just profile the heater and use the TED via Peaksoftware to give you a graph of usage.

Archived