C4 Forums | Control4

Director-MC or HTC?

ES_Dave

Using a system with a media controller and 3, soon to be 4 or 5 HTC's. With the HTC having 2x the flash memory, would the system be faster to use a HTC as the master instead of the Media Controller? Right now I am using the MC as the master and the others as slaves. And would changing that effect anything negatively?

I assume that would be as simple as connecting in system manager and enabling another unit's Director and Zigbee server, disabling the MC director and Zigbee, and reconnecting everything back to the new director?

Has anyone tried changing Directors on an system after the fact?

Did it cause issues?

The system should be faster with the HTC as the master. I tried it both ways on my personal test system and now have it setup with the HTC as the master. In theory, you should not have any issues if your bindings are setup correctly.

I assume that would be as simple as connecting in system manager and enabling another unit's Director and Zigbee server, disabling the MC director and Zigbee, and reconnecting everything back to the new director?

Maybe not that simple, but close. What you will find is that the current project resides on you MC. All the HTCs will be blank slates. What you will need to do is backup your current project. Disable the director on the MC and enable your HTC director. Then load the saved project on the master HTC. In the network ID screen, make sure you disconnect all HTCs and the MC and begin the process of re-identification. Make sure you identify the HTC that is the master first before you identify any of the others.

As a tip for people, when you disable the director on a controller it doesn't clear the existing project on the controller. So for example, you could program a whole system on controller A, and temporarily disable director, use controller A as a slave to controller B for a certain period of time, and then when you re-enable director on controller A it will still have the original program on it ready to go. I think this is cool. Makes my testing really sweet.

Archived