C4 Forums | Control4

Sony TV not staying connected

grunt0r

I keep having issue where 2 TVs fail to WOL but once awake they don't turn off on command either. I usually have to turn remote control, SIMP, C4 etc on and off on the TV settings to get it to work again. And that's only sometimes. Frustrating because it keeps randomly happening. 

If using SDDP, I strongly suggest setting a reserved or static IP and using the IP to identify.

Also, check DHCP lease time, and make sure it's at least 24 hours (I prefer 3 days) as numerous devices that use WOL have a bad habit of holding onto an IP and not requesting a new lease while off. Combined with a short lease time, some routers get a little upset (seen this on Cisco, Araknis and Unify routers, it's pretty universal) and start blocking connections.

12 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

I keep having issue where 2 TVs fail to WOL but once awake they don't turn off on command either. I usually have to turn remote control, SIMP, C4 etc on and off on the TV settings to get it to work again. And that's only sometimes. Frustrating because it keeps randomly happening. 

I am glad to know I was not alone in this as I thought maybe my Sony was starting to fail after several years of being solid.  I have recently been experiencing the same issues mentioned above especially with the TV not wanting to turn off (turning on has been fine).  I ended up adding extra programming at the room level for when the room turns off to power off the TV.  I know you shouldn't have to add that as it was not there before but since then it has been stable and turns it off each time. 

On 12/20/2021 at 3:40 PM, chopedogg88 said:

yes I've seen the same issue with the 2021 Sony TVs that I just installed.  Try enabling Simple IP control on the TV (not in the Control4 driver though), that seems to keep them alive on the network better.

This is the right answer. I went absolutely bonkers for 6 months troubleshooting this exact issue and enabling Simple (despite the driver docs making it sound like a leper) fixed everything. Three months in and I haven’t had a panicked pissed off call since.

On 12/23/2021 at 11:45 AM, BubbaDuck said:

This is the right answer. I went absolutely bonkers for 6 months troubleshooting this exact issue and enabling Simple (despite the driver docs making it sound like a leper) fixed everything. Three months in and I haven’t had a panicked pissed off call since.

My understanding is that SONY has a network card issue in this area. I am unsure if it is a hardware issue at this point or a software issue. Don't know if anyone else has heard this. Or do the solutions suggested above account for SONY's glitches and this is a workaround. I am just not sure about keeping TVs that are known to have an issue, especially if you indicated you just bought them. 

• 2 weeks later...

So after having my TV off for a couple weeks while being away on vacation I come back and the Sony 2021 XR-55A80J was offline. I've power cycled the TV, I've switched it to and from web and simple IP control and still couldn't get it back online right away. I'm not sure what is going on and what to prevent this from happening in the future. My master bedroom Sony TV I switched to simple IP and not have had any problems with it.

• 4 months later...

I have the same issue that is being discussed in this thread. A Sony XR55A80J with a Control4 EA3 processor and NEOO remote. Periodically - approximately once per day - the Sony XR55A80J TV drops the network connection and Control4 is unable to control the TV. The TV is connected with a Cat 6e ethernet cable to a gig switch. When I run the TV's network diagnostic utility, it reports: Cable OK; LAN OK; Internet Failed, but the error state will eventually progress to Cable OK; LAN Failed; and Internet Failed. The TV claims to be unable to communicate with the router, the other 20 or so devices on the network are not experiencing any issue. The issue can be temporarily resolved by restarting the TV. When the TV is in this state it will not respond to a PING command from a PC. The TV is set to use DCHP, but the TV's IP address is reserved in the router. I have temporarily removed the network switch and replaced the cable and that did not make any difference - same behaviour... TV loses the network connection about once per day. TV is set to use Web API with Control4.

I'm dealing with the same issue.  I converted the TVs to IR control via a plug anticipating going back to IP control when stable.  We tried using straight DHCP, DHCP with a reservation, static IP, wired and wireless.   It wasn't reliable and my wife was about ready to rip out the whole damn system.  Used a Cat5 balun- quick and easy wiring swaps- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IXZRXAS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sony recently upgraded firmware on a couple A80Js and they seem to be staying online- available for screen mirroring on my iphone.  I'm not in a hurry to make a change back to IP, but we'll see what happens over time.

13 hours ago, smccray said:

I'm dealing with the same issue.  I converted the TVs to IR control via a plug anticipating going back to IP control when stable.  We tried using straight DHCP, DHCP with a reservation, static IP, wired and wireless.   It wasn't reliable and my wife was about ready to rip out the whole damn system.  Used a Cat5 balun- quick and easy wiring swaps- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IXZRXAS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sony recently upgraded firmware on a couple A80Js and they seem to be staying online- available for screen mirroring on my iphone.  I'm not in a hurry to make a change back to IP, but we'll see what happens over time.

I'm also having the same issue with my A90J. Since the most recent Sony update everything has been flawless (fingers crossed).

@dw886: Could you please be more specific as to which setting you are suggesting changing? Are you suggesting changing from Web API control to Simple IP? Or something else?

The problem does seem to be sleep/power related as the TV never loses connection when it is powered on.

I have confirmed that there is a viable workaround for this issue. If one switches the "Simple IP Control" setting on the TV to ON - without making any changes in Control4 (i.e. leave C4 configured for Web API), it will prevent the TV from dropping the ethernet connection.

The working theory is that the ethernet network adapter in the TV has a Wake On LAN issue when put in the low power state associated with "Simple IP Control" switched to OFF (and TV is powered OFF).

The implication of switching "Simple IP Control" to ON is the TV will consume a bit more power when the TV is powered off because the network adapters are left in a higher power state than with that setting in the OFF position.

Note: Sony has confirmed to me that they have not addressed this issue in a firmware update at this point. The issue is still under investigation.

We use SIMP on and haven't had issues w not waking from LAN. We just had roaming IP address issues but finally got everything static that seems to be working.....open mouth insert foot (prays they don't switch again). Oh and I stopped updating them. Don't use their smart features anyway.

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, drmark12pa said:

Looks like IP control issue have returned.  I have Simple IP checked in tv and via Control4.  I have to switch back to web control too get it to work but then lose several functions.  I've tried everything siding back and forth and nothing is getting Simple IP to work again

• Do you have the TV on a DHCP reservation?
  • How do you have it identified? SDDP? 'hardcoded IP?
  • Do you have the TV hardwired?  If it is hardwired, what is the TV all connected to? Any baluns with LAN connections? Direct to a network switch? Is it on Wifi?
  • Did anything on the network change?  New modem? New ISP? New Router?

Nothing at all has changed. I frequently would have to switch it to web IP then back to simple IP to get Simple IP to work again but that no longer works.  I have a static IP address set via router and it's wired by cat5 nothing else connected to TV at all.  WebIP works for simple C4 commands but some of the cooler fighting( ie screen off only) does not

We switched to IR control of the TVs, but we have the TV's connected to wifi.  Historically, I saw the network connection drop offline (hard wired or wifi) after about 2-3 days.  After the last firmware update, the update that didn't address the connectivity issue per the post above, the wifi connection stayed online.  I haven't updated to the latest firmware but I'm getting prompts.

IR control has been great.  It just works... I expected the IP control to do the same, but hopefully it will get fixed soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.