C4 Forums | Control4

Best A/V Receiver integrates w/C4?

Gene

On 12/31/2021 at 7:35 AM, ejn1 said:

I would probably put Denon in same camp as Yamaha and Pioneer…

Denon is similar to base level Yamaha and Pioneer/Onkyo - not compared to the Elite versions for Pioneer for example. That's not a knock on Denon as such mind you - they're great amps.

I'm surprised NAD hasn't been mentioned yet - they have the advantage of upgrading modules to keep up with changing tech.

At any rate, frankly ANY mainstream receiver will work fine within C4.

Onkyo/Pioneer HDMI issues are indeed PAST issues.

Don't knock rs232 integration - it's STILL more reliable than IP and independent of your network to boot. Nothing against IP as such, but I don't find "Network control better than rs232 control" as a default is accurate.

In the end the right choice depends on budget, and personal preference.

Well, and available stock at the moment....😶

13 hours ago, ejn1 said:

Thanks, but with the Frame TV, I have the Samsung connect box near my gear so in essence does what you are saying above unless I'm missing something.

with a 4x2 switch you can have one that uses EDID from TV for best video, and EDID from receiver for best audio for receiver. It's not as simple as 'just getting a 4x2' though, as EDID management complicates things here (basic 4x2 switch would use lowest common denominator, which could mean you just lowered BOTH the audio and video quality....)

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

with a 4x2 switch you can have one that uses EDID from TV for best video, and EDID from receiver for best audio for receiver. It's not as simple as 'just getting a 4x2' though, as EDID management complicates things here (basic 4x2 switch would use lowest common denominator, which could mean you just lowered BOTH the audio and video quality....)

Thanks good to know... Wasnt aware of the EDID angle.   If i just let the Samsung connect box do the video switching and run an optical digial out from the Samsung connect to my Anthem preamp, would that "emulate" a receiver from a C4 user experience?

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Denon is similar to base level Yamaha and Pioneer/Onkyo - not compared to the Elite versions for Pioneer for example. That's not a knock on Denon as such mind you - they're great amps.

I'm surprised NAD hasn't been mentioned yet - they have the advantage of upgrading modules to keep up with changing tech.

At any rate, frankly ANY mainstream receiver will work fine within C4.

Onkyo/Pioneer HDMI issues are indeed PAST issues.

Don't knock rs232 integration - it's STILL more reliable than IP and independent of your network to boot. Nothing against IP as such, but I don't find "Network control better than rs232 control" as a default is accurate.

In the end the right choice depends on budget, and personal preference.

Well, and available stock at the moment....😶

I would think the high end Denon's would more than compete with a Pioneer Elite for sound and video quality....   Maybe on a $ to $ comparison the Elite edges it... 

Good call @Cyknight on NAD! I was hoping to get around to mention them for upgrades and their boards but got a bit sidetracked today. In principal, I absolutely LOVE that design/business decision, but I just haven't seen many board updates from them of value. However, I do feel that the introduction of 8k/HDMI 2.1 is the perfect opportunity to leverage this design. 

4 hours ago, tmj4 said:

Good call @Cyknight on NAD! I was hoping to get around to mention them for upgrades and their boards but got a bit sidetracked today. In principal, I absolutely LOVE that design/business decision, but I just haven't seen many board updates from them of value. However, I do feel that the introduction of 8k/HDMI 2.1 is the perfect opportunity to leverage this design. 

They've made numerous board updates for 4K as well as Atmos over time for several models.

Now, whether NAD is the right choice (it doesn't come cheap) is something else entirely of course.

But yeah, especially with the mention of 'aging' specs, I wanted to get their name out there at least 😄

6 hours ago, ejn1 said:

Thanks good to know... Wasnt aware of the EDID angle.   If i just let the Samsung connect box do the video switching and run an optical digial out from the Samsung connect to my Anthem preamp, would that "emulate" a receiver from a C4 user experience?

Yes, though limiting the sound 'quality'/decoding somewhat, though if that matters depends on what the sammy can output, and what your receiver can do (And how many speakers you have to begin with)

6 hours ago, ejn1 said:

I would think the high end Denon's would more than compete with a Pioneer Elite for sound and video quality....   Maybe on a $ to $ comparison the Elite edges it... 

I wouldn't - but in the end a lot of this is opinion. Heck even the 'hard data' values that tend to be given (especially on sound) is debatable in that it's one opinion of it means anything or not. 🤷‍♂️

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

I have Integra AVR’s integrated with C4 and Sonos connects. Work great. One is 9.2 atoms. Other is 5.1 surround. 

I believe Integra is the high end brand for Onkyo, so drivers may work for both brands, assuming that they use the same IP control software.

On 2/22/2022 at 1:42 PM, zaphod said:

I believe Integra is the high end brand for Onkyo, so drivers may work for both brands, assuming that they use the same IP control software.

I think Pioneer, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo and Integra are all the same company. I might not be right, but I think the parent company for Denon also owns all of these brands. I checked my composer drivers, and I have a separate Integra driver for my Integra AVR and a different Pioneer driver for my Pioneer AVR. The setup software for both AVRS IS clearly single sourced. 

6 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

I think Pioneer, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo and Integra are all the same company. I might not be right, but I think the parent company for Denon also owns all of these brands. I checked my composer drivers, and I have a separate Integra driver for my Integra AVR and a different Pioneer driver for my Pioneer AVR. The setup software for both AVRS IS clearly single sourced. 

You are right - I was not aware of that.  There has been a lot of consolidation.  https://www.engadget.com/2019-05-15-sound-united-buys-onkyo-home-audio.html

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.