C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa control of C4

drmark12pa

Question

I've been using Epic's C4 driver for quite some time but it was mentioned by Epic that most have moved to Control4's native Alexa driver.  I have used that in the past but it was slower and very limited in the commands.  However, I'm wondering if C4 has updated their driver to be more responsive and respond to more commands.  Originally, it couldn't control/set volume in a room and now it does?

Just wondering what people are using....

With the Epic driver I've programmed a huge list of commands that I've been using with previously excellent response but it seems to be less reliant and thinking about moving back to C4 driver if it is able to perform.

10 answers to this question

What OS are you using.  My system was upgraded to OS3 last month.  Before that I was on 2.10.6 and I noticed that the native voice started having to be 'repeated' before it took an action.  Now on OS3 the native voice commands are rock solid.

My response times are still very slow on the native C4 Alexa integration.  I suspect it depends in part where you live.  Would really love to see this fixed as a “…not responding” message following a long wait and followed by the action actually being taken is frustrating!

2 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

My response times are still very slow on the native C4 Alex integration.  I suspect it depends in part where you live.  Would really love to see this fixed as a “…not responding” message following a long wait and followed by the action actually being taken is frustrating!

Big facts. Sometimes it's instant. Sometimes huge delay, "that device isn't responding", and boom - the light then turns on. Haha

I'm on the latest OS as of this weekend.... 

I may have to do some experimenting as it seems that they've added functionality since I was using the native driver and switched over to the Epic driver as I wanted the ability to "SET" volumes and such but these functions appear to be in the native driver now.

Volumes have always been an issue for me with Alexa.
I have given up trying and just use the C4 remote or C4 app now.

upon volume up/down on my receiver, the volume displays on the receiver without adjusting.
The second click moves volume up/down a notch.
So to get any sort of change I click up or down several times.

If I ask Alexa to do it, she does a single pulse resulting in no change.

I tried upping the pulse time on the receiver driver to help Alexa, but this became annoying when using the remote so quickly changed it back.

I do have the epic driver, so I could use a specific command to move the volume up/down 5 notches at a time, but not sure how I'd make sure volume commands use the epic driver as opposed to the native C4 room command...?
I'd probably have to name the epic command distinctly different, which would instantly make it less useful to use.

I used the native C4 Alexa integration initially but quickly got frustrated by it, so switched to Varietas Software's driver for Homebridge (which is normally used for Siri) and used a Homebridge Alexa plugin.  This allows me to use both Siri and Alexa with the same "phrases" and is significantly faster than the native solution as it is integrating to a local homebridge server on the LAN.  My alexa actions are typically within 1 second.  Siri is slower (for all speech conversion not just C4), so I assume the Apple speech conversion takes a different approach to Amazon.  It may also be based on my location.
I chose to use my own homebridge server, but Varietas also offer a solution where they provide the complete package.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.