C4 Forums | Control4

Amazon Key and MyQ

JAY70

My understanding is that MyQ use to allow integration with Control4 but no longer does. Having both, I was disappointed to learn from my dealer (i checked with another dealer to confirm) that it cannot be done. 

Apparently there is a way to hotwire a relay into the garage system that control4 can use, but it is not a "clean" solution. 

I just decided the number of times that i would require this functionality, I would wait until either they work with Control4 again, or some new solution comes out. 

A friend of mine was not as patient as me and went a direction of integrating a Control4 switch (lighting switch) to toggle open and closed, but you don't get the status of the door being open and closed and thus could not integrate programming such as if open at Midnight, close the door. MyQ has that which is the reason I decided it was not worth it. At some point, the process, work, and cost of integration is more than the benefits derived in my view.  

Hopefully that helps some.

57 minutes ago, Charlie Mackenzie said:

My understanding is that MyQ use to allow integration with Control4 but no longer does. Having both, I was disappointed to learn from my dealer (i checked with another dealer to confirm) that it cannot be done. 

Apparently there is a way to hotwire a relay into the garage system that control4 can use, but it is not a "clean" solution. 

I just decided the number of times that i would require this functionality, I would wait until either they work with Control4 again, or some new solution comes out. 

A friend of mine was not as patient as me and went a direction of integrating a Control4 switch (lighting switch) to toggle open and closed, but you don't get the status of the door being open and closed and thus could not integrate programming such as if open at Midnight, close the door. MyQ has that which is the reason I decided it was not worth it. At some point, the process, work, and cost of integration is more than the benefits derived in my view.  

I am C4 certified and have used the Z2io solution without issue. I am looking for other integrators who may have set the MyQ solution up in parallel.

1 hour ago, Charlie Mackenzie said:

The “hot wire” way has been the official way to do it for a very long time and is as clean as any thing else. This is standard across multiple platforms. Dealers relying on Cloud or plug and play access have been doing it wrong. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Mackenzie said:

We've been hardwiring door openers to either a Z2io or directly to the processor (preferred) for years and never had a problem.  We have tons of sites out there with a very clean solution.  I will try to visit some of these sites next week and show you some very good options.  

4 minutes ago, Jeff W said:

We've been hardwiring door openers to either a Z2io or directly to the processor (preferred) for years and never had a problem.  We have tons of sites out there with a very clean solution.  I will try to visit some of these sites next week and show you some very good options.  

Have you done any MyQ adapters for Amazon Key in parallel with the Z2io solution? I am curious if it will work. I'm thinking it will but was hoping someone here had already tried it since the MyQ product changed API more than a year ago.

Chamberlain/Liftmaster are wankers and should be avoided at all costs.  They changed their API, want to collect a subscription fee and changed their openers so you can't even use a simple relay.  Encourage everyone to buy Genie openers instead.

If that isn't an option check out the Garadget thread.  Garadget sells modified Chamberlain openers that you can connect into C4 via relays.  Or you could use the entire Garadget system to also sense a door opening.

11 hours ago, JAY70 said:

I've never put in a MyQ. That's why I ask. Have you actually done it though?

Many times. They are essential two different control interfaces. C4 is nice as it is not cloud based control and should work no matter what is going on with the cloud service. My concern with these types of products is what happens with they no longer support this cloud based "free" service.

On 2/4/2022 at 4:27 PM, zaphod said:

Chamberlain/Liftmaster are wankers and should be avoided at all costs.  They changed their API, want to collect a subscription fee and changed their openers so you can't even use a simple relay.  Encourage everyone to buy Genie openers instead.

If that isn't an option check out the Garadget thread.  Garadget sells modified Chamberlain openers that you can connect into C4 via relays.  Or you could use the entire Garadget system to also sense a door opening.

It’s pretty silly to have someone install a specialty garage door opener just because the installer wants easy set up. 

But instead you can spend a few hundred in hardware plus an hour or two of additional labour.  What's the cost of a Z2IO plus sensors, modifying remotes and installing all of that?  Or a Garadget (or two if you have two doors).  It isn't just that the installer wants an easy set up, it is actual dollars, compared to alternatives where you just need to install a driver and spend two minutes configuring in Composer.

19 hours ago, zaphod said:

But instead you can spend a few hundred in hardware plus an hour or two of additional labour.  What's the cost of a Z2IO plus sensors, modifying remotes and installing all of that?  Or a Garadget (or two if you have two doors).  It isn't just that the installer wants an easy set up, it is actual dollars, compared to alternatives where you just need to install a driver and spend two minutes configuring in Composer.

There are plenty of inexpensive wireless sensor options and it takes about 15 minutes to solder relay and power to a wireless MyQ compatible remote you can place at a rack or controller location.. 

I've got the legacy CardAccess setup controlling my Garage Doors and put MyQ on one of the doors and it has been flawless.  Amazon was not doing any Key Garage deliveries in my area when I first got it, even though they said it was supported for my address.  Then all of a sudden it was available and I've had around 15 deliveries without a hitch.  Highly recommended, install was easy and I got MyQ on sale for around $20.

13 hours ago, turls said:

I've got the legacy CardAccess setup controlling my Garage Doors and put MyQ on one of the doors and it has been flawless.  Amazon was not doing any Key Garage deliveries in my area when I first got it, even though they said it was supported for my address.  Then all of a sudden it was available and I've had around 15 deliveries without a hitch.  Highly recommended, install was easy and I got MyQ on sale for around $20.

Yes myQ works with Amazon key, but neither integrate with c4, your card access integrates

On 2/4/2022 at 4:27 PM, zaphod said:

They changed their API, want to collect a subscription fee and changed their openers so you can't even use a simple relay. 

While I agree is sucks that they did this, I can't disagree with the logic from their end.  They are a for profit company and not a charity.  It cost money and people to maintain these APIs.  I don't knock them for making a profit off it. 

After the MyQ fiasco, I just keep it separate now.

the MyQ app reliably sends push notifications for it remaining open for 15 mins and 1hr. Also can give temp access to neighbours/friends. I have a keypad on the exterior of my home, I hardly use the actual app for remote opening.

we don’t have my key in Canada yet / but you don’t need C4 to use MyQ.

10 hours ago, tekki70 said:

Yes myQ works with Amazon key, but neither integrate with c4, your card access integrates

RIght, but the original question was if it works in parallel with C4.  I never could get a straight answer about that previously and put off buying MyQ.  Now I'm glad I went ahead.

Also, I'm not sure what the talk about the subscription fee is, I would expect the integration with Key would prevent any of that being forced in the future.

On 2/11/2022 at 10:23 AM, DanITman said:

While I agree is sucks that they did this, I can't disagree with the logic from their end.  They are a for profit company and not a charity.  It cost money and people to maintain these APIs.  I don't knock them for making a profit off it. 

But they seem very much offside with the rest of their industry. I agree that it costs money to create an API, but does it really cost much to maintain it? And I didn't expect it for free, I paid for a MyQ hub and two door sensors that became much less functional due to their shenanigans with the API. So they have made a decent amount of money from me as I own two of their door openers, a MyQ hub and two sensors.

I do knock them for, arguably, being hostile to the end-user and I encourage people to vote with their $$$ and buy other garage door openers that are more end-user friendly.

9 minutes ago, zaphod said:

But they seem very much offside with the rest of their industry. I agree that it costs money to create an API, but does it really cost much to maintain it? And I didn't expect it for free, I paid for a MyQ hub and two door sensors that became much less functional due to their shenanigans with the API. So they have made a decent amount of money from me as I own two of their door openers, a MyQ hub and two sensors.

I do knock them for, arguably, being hostile to the end-user and I encourage people to vote with their $$$ and buy other garage door openers that are more end-user friendly.

I don't think we have any idea on the amount of calls or how much they are supporting to determine if the price is fair.  Its common to charge per call in the API space.  Especially if there isn't a per month subscription cost.  They are also the leader in the space and can likely set the price.  Maybe with the increase in 4sight cost Control4 would consider doing a deal with them. 

On 2/12/2022 at 12:52 PM, DanITman said:

I don't think we have any idea on the amount of calls or how much they are supporting to determine if the price is fair.  Its common to charge per call in the API space.  Especially if there isn't a per month subscription cost.  They are also the leader in the space and can likely set the price.  Maybe with the increase in 4sight cost Control4 would consider doing a deal with them. 

That's  rue, you often do have have to pay small fees to access the API, but that is often because these APIs are cloud based and they can argue that you have to pay for those services, or for obtaining the data.  A weather API could be a good analogy, or guide data for PVR software.

But there is no reason why it has to be cloud based and Chamberlain doesn't have to pay anything to obtain any of the data, unlike weather.  Why can't the API run locally on the MyQ hub, like the way the Hue API runs locally.  Then there is no reason for any ongoing costs to maintain the API, other than security updates, if they are ever required.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:26 PM, Matt Lowe said:

Many times. They are essential two different control interfaces. C4 is nice as it is not cloud based control and should work no matter what is going on with the cloud service. My concern with these types of products is what happens with they no longer support this cloud based "free" service.

I get the feeling that they've struck a deal with Amazon that closed the door on the API. Since my client wants to be able to use Amazon Key and still have the door integrated, we will move forward with the parallel install.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.