C4 Forums | Control4

How hard is it to swap out routers?

pinkoos

Is your TV through comcast, and if so, are your boxes on the coax, or are they on your network on Ethernet?

I’m not familiar with comcast boxes or their connection options, but AT&T’s U-verse set top boxes multicast. The switch integrated on their gateway is configured to handle it, but if you just plug them in somewhere else on your network, they’ll choke it to death.

I sort of doubt that’s your issue with comcast, but it’s just a thought…

29 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

The cable modem is just a store bought Motorola SB something or another, it’s just a modem 

Incidentally I had switched that out with something to test if that could be the cause, but the problem still happened, so that ruled out the modem

Yes no Comcast box, just the coaxial going to the modem and then the modem going to the router via Ethernet 

Most likely the Motorola surfboard is also acting as a router.  Have you tried just going from the Motorola to a laptop and see if you have problems? Have you logged into the Motorola to make sure there’s no dhcp or Nat settings inplace?

I tried briefly connecting the Motorola to an iPad but was having problems getting the connection to be recognized, I'll have to explore that again and explore the Motorola settings, though I doubt it's setup as a router in the default config (which it should be running as I have never messed with its config)

I do recall at some point having to do something about NAT in my router config because I was having issues connecting to my IP cameras from within my network (but no issues connecting outside my network) - what should I be checking in my router's NAT settings and making sure is either on or off? Thank you

5 hours ago, pinkoos said:

I tried briefly connecting the Motorola to an iPad but was having problems getting the connection to be recognized, I'll have to explore that again and explore the Motorola settings, though I doubt it's setup as a router in the default config (which it should be running as I have never messed with its config)

I do recall at some point having to do something about NAT in my router config because I was having issues connecting to my IP cameras from within my network (but no issues connecting outside my network) - what should I be checking in my router's NAT settings and making sure is either on or off? Thank you

I'd probably loot at the Motorola being a possible source of your problems. Make sure it's in bridge mode. there should be no IP address on the Motorola. if Comcast gives you an IP address, it should be on your routers not the Motorola box. Also make sure any NAT/PAT and DHCP services are off. Key here is bridge mode......

2 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

I'd probably loot at the Motorola being a possible source of your problems. Make sure it's in bridge mode. there should be no IP address on the Motorola. if Comcast gives you an IP address, it should be on your routers not the Motorola box. Also make sure any NAT/PAT and DHCP services are off. Key here is bridge mode......

As a former longtime Comcast user, I really doubt it's the Motorola unless it is one of the wifi/modem models.  Otherwise, I am pretty certain they don't assign DHCPs--they are just modems you have to connect a separate router to.  If it's a wifi/modem combo, then it definitely needs to be in Bridge mode--if not, I think this is a Sonos issue.

The simple way to figure this out is by answering this question-does the Surfboard have wifi?  If yes, ekohn00 may be right (though, if so, shame on your installer/Comcast for not putting it in bridge mode!  That's a super basic thing.).  In any event, I very much doubt the problem is your Araknis equipment.  Especially if when the internet drops it is dropping on wired devices as well.

8 hours ago, pinkoos said:

Thanks again for all the suggestions 

The modem doesn’t have WiFi, it’s just a modem

I’ll continue to troubleshoot 

Again appreciate the help

A simple check to make sure the Motorola/Cable Modem is in bridge more..go to the router, it should be doing a DHCP request on it's WAN to the cable modem. Make sure it's  getting a public address and not something like 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.1.1. Based on what pinkoos said, I'd also guess its not the Motorola if it doesn't have wifi (I don't deal with cable modems a lot).

Did you ever say which model Araknis Router you have?

• 2 weeks later...

So my dealer logged in yesterday and made all DHCP reservations for connected devices as well devices that were not currently online but showed up in the DHCP table

Now, however, many devices either don’t have any internet connection or are very very slow

Normally, devices get 650 down and 23 up wired and 450 down 23 up wireless 

However, now either devices show as having no connection at all or are getting 650 down 2 up wired and 25 down 2 up wireless 

My dealer is going to see what could be going on but I thought I’d check here too

I’m hoping he saved the config before making all the changes so we can revert back if necessary 

Any thoughts?

17 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

So my dealer logged in yesterday and made all DHCP reservations for connected devices as well devices that were not currently online but showed up in the DHCP table

Now, however, many devices either don’t have any internet connection or are very very slow

Normally, devices get 650 down and 23 up wired and 450 down 23 up wireless 

However, now either devices show as having no connection at all or are getting 650 down 2 up wired and 25 down 2 up wireless 

My dealer is going to see what could be going on but I thought I’d check here too

I’m hoping he saved the config before making all the changes so we can revert back if necessary 

Any thoughts?

first thought....duplicate ip in play, near second, he fat fingered an ip somewhere. or simply the router can't handle lots of reservations.

This has not been fun

Basically he went in and deleted all the DHCP reservation (didn't save the config prior to making changes yesterday so no way to restore)

Several WAPs and even a Wattbox wouldn't come back online for some reason, it took multiple reboots and finally now it seems that things are back online

BUT, there's still a problem - the upload speed is still stuck at 2 whereas it was 20 to 25 prior to yesterday

Also modem reboots now take forever - before, rebooting the modem took about a min for it to come back online

Now, it's 3 to 4 mins

Just got off the phone with Comcast/Xfinity - they did some troubleshooting including having me stick a paperclip in the back of the modem to factory reset it, but upload is still stuck at 2

I really don't know what could be causing this now, so frustrating

My dealer is going to stop by this afternoon to check and connect directly to the modem with his laptop to see what he gets as I don't have that ability (I tried before with an adapter and an iPad, but the physical connection was flaky)

Last resort is he wants to reset the Araknis which will then require reconfiguring whatever was setup previously, but don't know what else we can do or try or check in the Araknis config

Is there something about DHCP that could be causing this upload issue now?

23 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

This has not been fun

Basically he went in and deleted all the DHCP reservation (didn't save the config prior to making changes yesterday so no way to restore)

Several WAPs and even a Wattbox wouldn't come back online for some reason, it took multiple reboots and finally now it seems that things are back online

BUT, there's still a problem - the upload speed is still stuck at 2 whereas it was 20 to 25 prior to yesterday

Also modem reboots now take forever - before, rebooting the modem took about a min for it to come back online

Now, it's 3 to 4 mins

Just got off the phone with Comcast/Xfinity - they did some troubleshooting including having me stick a paperclip in the back of the modem to factory reset it, but upload is still stuck at 2

I really don't know what could be causing this now, so frustrating

My dealer is going to stop by this afternoon to check and connect directly to the modem with his laptop to see what he gets as I don't have that ability (I tried before with an adapter and an iPad, but the physical connection was flaky)

Last resort is he wants to reset the Araknis which will then require reconfiguring whatever was setup previously, but don't know what else we can do or try or check in the Araknis config

Is there something about DHCP that could be causing this upload issue now?

start with basic troubleshooting..... plug your laptop into your cable modem...do you get the right speeds. now plug it into the router (remove all other connections). If you don't get the same speeds something is very wrong. 

51 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Also turns out my Plex and Security Spy servers are no longer accessible from outside my network

1. Port forwarding isn't correct
  2. Firewall rules for the port forwarding isn't correct
  3. WAN IP changed (assuming you don't pay/have a static IP)

Now that I’m testing it more it’s possible that the upload speed is the bottleneck for playback on Plex and SS

I can actually connect to the servers and access the content but it won’t playback, I’m guessing because of the diminished upload speed

10 minutes ago, tmj4 said:
  1. Port forwarding isn't correct
  2. Firewall rules for the port forwarding isn't correct
  3. WAN IP changed (assuming you don't pay/have a static IP)

What he said....  probably got a new IP address when Comcast messed with it.

PS..... I just realized you said your modem reboots now take forever.  - that's either to modem or a problem on Comcast's side. 

I’m sure the modem reboot time and the upload speed decrease are related with each other

However it would be way to coincidental for these issues to occur at the same time as all the router dhcp stuff so I’m convinced at least for now that the modem upload and reboot issues are related somehow to the router stuff my dealer did yesterday

Will need to see what speed he gets when he connects directly to modem

1 hour ago, ekohn00 said:

start with basic troubleshooting..... plug your laptop into your cable modem...do you get the right speeds. now plug it into the router (remove all other connections). If you don't get the same speeds something is very wrong. 

When doing this, unplug the rest of your network too.

The whole thing to me still smells like network loop or faulty inbound internet connection

Thanks for the additional advice/suggestions

At this point, I'll just be happy to get things back to the way they were as of yesterday morning/afternoon, prior to my dealer trying to reserve all the DHCP and all hell breaking loose

The slow upload speed is already very noticeable, not just in terms of the Plex and SS servers, but everyday usage too

I've never had an upload speed this slow (if you don't count my dial up modem days LOL), so am not used to it at all

If we can at least get things back to where they were yesterday....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.