C4 Forums | Control4

Networking hardware - what are people buying these days?

pinkoos

2 hours ago, pinkoos said:

The other reason I was looking at a mesh system is that it seems, at least from my reading, the nodes (ie, "APs") don't need much (any?) configuration, I'm not sure

I was looking at systems that have ethernet backhauls so that I can use the wired ethernet connections in the nodes to optimize connectivity and speed

If you have hardwired AP's in decent locations, you do not need mesh.  There is no point.  

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

you are really defeating the purpose of mesh

How so? This gives gig speed ethernet connections to devices with no/poor wifi connection and a better more stable connection to anything local to that node. This is a significant feature and something a lot of people ask for. 

30 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

If you have hardwired AP's in decent locations, you do not need mesh.  There is no point.  

When you prewire a home..you really dont have an idea of where odd wifi interference will pop up. Not being limited by preset locations is an advantage. Mesh AP nodes are also usually placed in better spots then in an attic or a back room/closet on the ceiling.

4 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

How so? This gives gig speed ethernet connections to devices with no/poor wifi connection and a better more stable connection to anything local to that node. This is a significant feature and something a lot of people ask for. 

cause if you have a wired backbone, why do you need mesh?

Just now, Control4Savant said:

I think you are confused on what hes saying.. the wired connection is to the local devices giving them a wired gig speed connection. Not to the rest of the network hardware… or im off 🙂

I thought he said all his APs were hardwired and he wanted to change to a mesh, which really doesn't make sense to me.

Just now, msgreenf said:

I thought he said all his APs were hardwired and he wanted to change to a mesh, which really doesn't make sense to me.

Could be.. might need some clarity. Iv use that Netgear equipment for the hardwired backhull as I explained above especially for gamers and impromptu remote office locations. 

3 hours ago, pinkoos said:

The other reason I was looking at a mesh system is that it seems, at least from my reading, the nodes (ie, "APs") don't need much (any?) configuration, I'm not sure

I was looking at systems that have ethernet backhauls so that I can use the wired ethernet connections in the nodes to optimize connectivity and speed

Up to you what you want to do. But keep in mind that many products have mesh networking or at least wireless uplinks built in these days. Their marketing simply doesn't revolve around it.

Also, most APs basically use a configuration wizard to make it easy. A product like eero for instance does mesh, but what would you gain if you have Ethernet anyway? These products are easier to configure because theyve simply done a good job with the interface, and have included mesh to make it easier for people with no Ethernet. 

Mesh definitely has its uses. As redundancy, it's incredible, or somewhere with crap wiring, or somewhere you don't have Ethernet. And the quality of mesh on ap's has gotten better (eero for instance I haven't heard anything bad about even in mesh mode).

As an installer I had 200+network installs though. Probably less than 5 used mesh full time in any capacity. These were unifi systems which have the capability built in though (we just didn't use it). Choose your aps based on requirements, not the marketing. The trend for all aps is to simplify configuration by making good defaults and hiding the hard stuff

My thoughts are nodes with ethernet backhauls provide the wired connection back to the 'router' node (or whatever the lingo is)

Then, the nodes provide the wireless connection to the local devices from there

Since the nodes are hardwired, there's no need to place them in range of the router node and no need to place the other downstream nodes in range of the closest upstream node

Some of these nodes even have multiple ethernet jacks, so not only can they be hardwired back to the router node, but an unmanaged switch can be plugged into them to provide a wired connection to the local devices

Anyway, hope I'm explaining this clearly and not confusingly

I realize that APs provide the similar functionality but, like I mentioned, I'm wondering that since the nodes are preconfigured to work with the router node, there may be less chance of the issues I've been having

Thinking out loud....

14 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

My thoughts are nodes with ethernet backhauls provide the wired connection back to the 'router' node (or whatever the lingo is)

Then, the nodes provide the wireless connection to the local devices from there

Since the nodes are hardwired, there's no need to place them in range of the router node and no need to place the other downstream nodes in range of the closest upstream node

Some of these nodes even have multiple ethernet jacks, so not only can they be hardwired back to the router node, but an unmanaged switch can be plugged into them to provide a wired connection to the local devices

Anyway, hope I'm explaining this clearly and not confusingly

I realize that APs provide the similar functionality but, like I mentioned, I'm wondering that since the nodes are preconfigured to work with the router node, there may be less chance of the issues I've been having

Thinking out loud....

You're overthinking it imho. Just wire them in, Commission them, and done..

In a low density environment / non commercial environment, practically any decent ap will work fine.

Mine at home, I simply shoved in 2 unifi aps + router, ran the setup wizard, then turned wifi off on the router (because the wifi on the unifi routers suck). I also enabled wifi power saving support. Fast installation and products like eero are even faster.

Hi All, 

Sorry I was absent. I have some family issues and life got in the way.

There has been some great information here, just remember there is 1000's different opinions when it comes to everything.
I myself have been doing Networking and computers for 20years and I have very stiff opinions when it comes to networking.

But in reality there is definitely applications for MESH networking. Have business that run them 100% for everything, but at the same time they have someone like me to MANAGE that network, sort out routing issues and bandwidth issues. 

Just remember that these "Prosumer" brands like Ubiquity do require a learning curve and a larger setup time to get working right. If you are able to dedicate that time, then go for it. It super interesting and can/does consume me for hours learning and playing.

My motto is always wire before wireless. But if you have no choice then go for it, its amazing what they can do......... If you take the time to set it up.

Just remember to check things like signal strength between units and channels with unit near each other. Do a bit of learning around those areas and you will be amazed at what i can do.  

I'm considering trying out one of these new Eeros

However, my dealer is a bit hesitant that what little Control4 integration I still have left in my house may get broken or, at the least, have to be reconfigured entirely since Eero is not on C4's "approved" list - does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, from my reading, Eero prefers unmanaged switches, though using managed switches (I have a managed Araknis 24 port and 16 port POE switch) will work with Eero, but some settings need to be disabled - again, anyone have any experience with this too?

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.