C4 Forums | Control4

Bond Bridge + Gas Fireplace

eggzlot

Anyone have brand/models that they have used successfully to integrate a gas fireplace into Control4 using the Bond Bridge hardware?  I know it needs to be RF compatible but asking a sales person that on the floor at a local fireplace shop may get a cross eyed look so figured I’d do some homework first

I think the remote/ignition system is more important than the brand of fireplace.  I have a Spark Fireplace with a Mertix Maxitrol.  But you can also get Spark Fireplaces with Proflame remotes.

Also two Kingsman fireplaces with Proflame 2 remotes. 

All three are on my Bond Bridge and work great but you can't control flame height (only on/off).  There may be a way to learn all the flame height buttons into the Bond Bridge, but I haven't given it much effort honestly (because it's not that important to me).

9 hours ago, Topspin14m said:

I think the remote/ignition system is more important than the brand of fireplace.  I have a Spark Fireplace with a Mertix Maxitrol.  But you can also get Spark Fireplaces with Proflame remotes.

Also two Kingsman fireplaces with Proflame 2 remotes. 

All three are on my Bond Bridge and work great but you can't control flame height (only on/off).  There may be a way to learn all the flame height buttons into the Bond Bridge, but I haven't given it much effort honestly (because it's not that important to me).

Thanks

maybe my terminology is off.  My house is a real fireplace that was converted to a gas fireplace.  So it has a log set with the pilot light always on and a little box we have to fish for that has a knob we turn to get it going.  There is no height adjustment either with our set up.  Just trying to avoid having to get in there, especially when on/hot, to turn it off.  Does not bother me as much but my wife doesn’t like the set up.

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

Thanks

maybe my terminology is off.  My house is a real fireplace that was converted to a gas fireplace.  So it has a log set with the pilot light always on and a little box we have to fish for that has a knob we turn to get it going.  There is no height adjustment either with our set up.  Just trying to avoid having to get in there, especially when on/hot, to turn it off.  Does not bother me as much but my wife doesn’t like the set up.

Let me know if you figure this out.  I'm in the exact same situation.  Unfortautnely, I think there is tile over the ignitor box, so I'll have to rip that out.  Mine has an On/Off rocker switch on little fake log that just sits next to the gas logs.  Would love to automate this.

5 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

Let me know if you figure this out.  I'm in the exact same situation.  Unfortautnely, I think there is tile over the ignitor box, so I'll have to rip that out.  Mine has an On/Off rocker switch on little fake log that just sits next to the gas logs.  Would love to automate this.

Will do.  we the on/off/restart pilot switch in a box off to the side under a removable metal housing so its easy to access.  not sure what other parts may or may not have to be replaced.  For me its fine, the wife said to automate it if possible so who am I to argue

1 minute ago, eggzlot said:

Will do.  we the on/off/restart pilot switch in a box off to the side under a removable metal housing so its easy to access.  not sure what other parts may or may not have to be replaced.  For me its fine, the wife said to automate it if possible so who am I to argue

I think we can also use a Shelly Relay, but I haven't had the time to do the research just yet.

Just now, LollerAgent said:

I think we can also use a Shelly Relay, but I haven't had the time to do the research just yet.

I can ask someone at the fireplace store, I am sure they would direct me to buy a new set up vs purchasing  a relay, if the floor sales person even knows what a relay is....

2 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

I can ask someone at the fireplace store, I am sure they would direct me to buy a new set up vs purchasing  a relay, if the floor sales person even knows what a relay is....

You don't currently have RF, right?  I don't think mine does.  I feel like it was supposed to, but I think something happened when we were building and I forgot to follow up with the folks that installed it.

Just now, LollerAgent said:

You don't currently have RF, right?  I don't think mine does.  I feel like it was supposed to, but I think something happened when we were building and I forgot to follow up with the folks that installed it.

no not RF

small box with a knob - in the middle its "off" but has a pilot light lit.  when i push in/turn knob to the right, fire goes on.  when i push in/move back to middle goes back to just pilot light on but no flames.  turn to the left, 100% off and I need to re light the pilot light.

1 minute ago, eggzlot said:

no not RF

small box with a knob - in the middle its "off" but has a pilot light lit.  when i push in/turn knob to the right, fire goes on.  when i push in/move back to middle goes back to just pilot light on but no flames.  turn to the left, 100% off and I need to re light the pilot light.

Ok - similar to mine, I think.  Except I have two knobs (the pilot adjustment/push button thing) and a rocker switch.  I'll try to remember to snap a pic when i get home.

Edited by LollerAgent

1 minute ago, LollerAgent said:

Ok - similar to mine, I think.  Except I have two knobs (the pilot adjustment/push button thing) and a rocker switch.  I'll try to remember to snap a pic when i get home.

got ya, if we have a rocker switch I have no clue where it is.  Is it a gas on/off thing?  If so I do have a switch for that but not in the fireplace but below in the basement

2 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

got ya, if we have a rocker switch I have no clue where it is.  Is it a gas on/off thing?  If so I do have a switch for that but not in the fireplace but below in the basement

No, you use the knob to ignite the pilot (mine is always on most of the time like yours).  I actually have another knob too - which I thought was supposed to adjust the height of the flame, but I don't think it does. 

Then you just flip the rocker switch to actually ignite the logs once the pilot is lit.  You can use the rocker to turn the logs on/off as long as the pilot is lit.

I don't know if this helps, but I recently bought this item:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KXCCIW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I connected it to my gas fireplace in place of the wall switch. It was very easy to wire.

I then paired the remote to Bond Bridge and hopefully, my dealer will soon add Bond Bridge to C4 for me. 

I originally bought a unit with a more complex remote on Amazon. However, it used the same button for on/off as opposed to separate on and off buttons. I found it did not work well with Bond Bridge, so I returned it for the above unit, and it works perfectly. 

Not much of an update but I called the placed that installed it, sent them the model/part #s of what they installed years ago and he will see if they can just add an RF module to it, or if they need to replace the whole valve system

I am going to guess they will need to replace everything as the unit only has a push in rotating knob so not sure how adding a module will physically move that knob, but what do I know...maybe there is something internally that the module can move like a relay - they said they will send me an update in a few days as all of their RF remote options are on back order anyways and coming in stock in 2-3 weeks.

So my unit can take an RF remote add on vs having to change out the entire unit.  like everything else it is on back order and its almost March so we aren't using the fireplace much anymore so they will just add us to the list and hopefully we'll get the part installed sometime this Spring so we can use it for the upcoming fall/winter season.

I did ask him for the make/model so I can try to get some FCC codes to run it by Bond Bridge, worst case if I do not integrate it into Control4 life will go on too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.