C4 Forums | Control4

August Door Locks always stop working after a couple days, why is it so bad?

I have 4 August Door Locks in my house that are 6 months old so not looking to replace them.  We just got C4 and my Dealer mentioned there's August drivers for it so that's what we set up.  The problem is that it only works for a couple days, then no locks show the proper status, and using the navigators won't actually control the locks.  It's 100% a C4 issue, as when you unlock or lock them, the connect bridge flashes and shows it, and the August app instantly shows the status and update.  If I reboot the controller it works again for another couple of days, and then you notice the status is off and nothing works, so reboot again.  My Dealer suggested switching the doors to ZigBee modules but I have almost $1k of August locks that are 6 months old so really not into swapping them especially as I was told by them August is supported before we went with C4.  My Dealer appears to be out of options and has basically just said lots of people have this issue (which I also see by searching this forum).  Disappointed that we no longer will be able to use locks as part of our C4 system, but anything else I can try before asking they remove them all from C4?

The only thing I wanted to add is if my Dealer goes into Composer and under the August Gateway driver, there's a dropdown with "refresh" and choosing that instantly shows all the status of the locks and they all start working again.  Under programming there's no actions for this driver at all.  Is there any way to do something via programming to have it manually refresh every hour or on a schedule or something?    In addition, if I use programming to lock or unlock the door, that always works.  It's mainly the status it seems that just stops working so therefore the navigators don't work properly.

It's also so disappointing because when it does work, it works great, all locks respond within 3-5 seconds same with status updates.  It just never lasts and you're lucky if you make it more than 2 days before it just starts ignoring all the locks again.  It's also frustrating that the C4 app is not in sync, like it will show the front door as unlocked (which is true) but you use the C4 app to lock it, and then the C4 app shows the door is locked, when nothing happened, it's completely unlocked again and gives a false sense of security.

I haven't had any issues with my August locks and C4. I have one of the older August Smart Lock Pros and one of the newer August Wifi Smart locks. I do have issues with the one with built-in Wifi losing connection to my network, but not with C4. 

Maybe it's just an issue on the Yale locks but I do have a normal August one as well at my condo in the city which pops up.  I guess I could ask they add that one just to see for fun, but wouldn't help me much other than just confirming it's a Yale vs 100% August issue.  It's definitely an issue though as there's post after post mentioning it on these forums if you search, so definitely seems common.  I just have to decide if I want to get the ZigBee ones or just remove the locks from C4 all together, since I JUST bought these August upgrades for these locks 6 months ago and they were like $150 CAD each.  They already had ZigBee in them (as I insisted on that years ago to future proof) but then found out that C4 doesn't support normal ZigBee protocol and need the special version.

9 hours ago, nxr said:

Does anyone know if the August module can be swapped out on an Emtek Empower lock for a Control4 one?

It looks to me like the Emtek Empower is just a rebranded yale assure lock that uses the same modules. The Control4 one COULD work, but I am not sure if it would require a new driver. I would make a new post about this if there isn’t one already. 

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem.  Worked fine until I added a new WiFi lock on another door.  Before 3.2.4 the original front door lock worked but the newer WiFi one on the entry door would work for a few days and then lose track of status.  After 3.2.4 both locks go AWOL shortly after reboot making any status checking and commands useless.

I need the inside mount versions that work the existing lock so switching to Yale is not an option.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I had a ton of issues with my August locks, but after tinkering with my network settings, I think I've finally got them stable. There's still an occasional cloud outage on the August side, but otherwise, they went from working for a week or so at a time to flawless for months.

I have a UniFi network, so your specific issues may be different, but mine had to do with multicast handling, IGMP and a UniFi specific setting called 'uplink connectivity monitor'. August seems to be the only thing in my system sensitive to these things.

On 4/13/2022 at 1:48 AM, booch said:

So, I had a ton of issues with my August locks, but after tinkering with my network settings, I think I've finally got them stable. There's still an occasional cloud outage on the August side, but otherwise, they went from working for a week or so at a time to flawless for months.

I have a UniFi network, so your specific issues may be different, but mine had to do with multicast handling, IGMP and a UniFi specific setting called 'uplink connectivity monitor'. August seems to be the only thing in my system sensitive to these things.

Thanks I'll check.  I do have a Unifi network but actually just tossed my UDM Pro and replaced it with a different enterprise router as I was getting sick of Ubiquiti.  The thing is though I have no issues using the August app, it works 100% of the time and always is responsive.  It's just with C4 where it doesn't, or rather it does for a day and then quits until I reboot the controller.  

I'm still using Unifi APs just not their router anymore, so can't recall if those settings are AP specific or part of the router but I'll check.

I gave up ages ago and ordered the Zigbee modules from my Dealer, but that was almost 2 months ago and he says they are still on backorder.  Was about to just cancel that order and not use locks with C4 at all, but I'll mess with the Unifi settings just for fun when I get home next.

My #1 biggest issue with Ubiquiti is how it literally seems like half the settings or options on their devices are always meant to be disabled.  I've never seen a company promote so many features (like auto optimizing wifi for example), only for their support people to always say "make sure you always keep auto optimize disabled."   Oh and the "make sure you're not using the new UI."

@416to305 I was having a similar issue with my August lock. I have the Yale YRD226 + August connect. I reached out to the developer and they were very helpful. They have a new driver that should be out soon and they are expecting it to solve the status issues. 

Moving to the zigbee module is an option of course, but August has nice features that would be lost. 

8 hours ago, ashwinmj said:

@416to305 I was having a similar issue with my August lock. I have the Yale YRD226 + August connect. I reached out to the developer and they were very helpful. They have a new driver that should be out soon and they are expecting it to solve the status issues. 

Moving to the zigbee module is an option of course, but August has nice features that would be lost. 

I'll mess with it again when I get home as I'm out of town but that sounds promising.  It sucks as I had one August in my Yale YRD226 and it seemed to work well so then I bought 3 more of them which wasn't super cheap.  Then it started with the issue where it would only work for a day or two before having to restart the controller again.  It works great with Home Assistant and has no issues, and I use MQTT with C4 and Home Assistant, so not hard to still use C4 programming to lock or unlock the doors, but ideally I want them showing on the T4s.  I'll see how it goes this weekend as it would be nice if I can get it going before the Zigbee ones ship since they cost just as much as all the August locks did lol.

17 minutes ago, ashwinmj said:

When I had the status wrong in C4, I checked the status via IFTTT and it was fine there. An alternate option could be to integrate the lock with Control4 via IFTTT, since there is an IFTTT driver for Control4. 

Oh true I can look into that also.  I wish there was a "query" or "refresh status" programming action as I feel like that would work also but doesn't seem to be anything like that.

On 4/20/2022 at 9:00 AM, 416to305 said:

Thanks I'll check.  I do have a Unifi network but actually just tossed my UDM Pro and replaced it with a different enterprise router as I was getting sick of Ubiquiti.  The thing is though I have no issues using the August app, it works 100% of the time and always is responsive.  It's just with C4 where it doesn't, or rather it does for a day and then quits until I reboot the controller.  

I'm still using Unifi APs just not their router anymore, so can't recall if those settings are AP specific or part of the router but I'll check.

I gave up ages ago and ordered the Zigbee modules from my Dealer, but that was almost 2 months ago and he says they are still on backorder.  Was about to just cancel that order and not use locks with C4 at all, but I'll mess with the Unifi settings just for fun when I get home next.

My #1 biggest issue with Ubiquiti is how it literally seems like half the settings or options on their devices are always meant to be disabled.  I've never seen a company promote so many features (like auto optimizing wifi for example), only for their support people to always say "make sure you always keep auto optimize disabled."   Oh and the "make sure you're not using the new UI."

This is my problem too. Control and status via C4 is unreliable but it’s rock solid through the August app. I too have a UniFi network. If anyone has any ideas I’m all ears. 

So I have an update.  Pretty much calling it quits on this lol.  I also have no issues in the August app or with Home Assistant and have never had it not respond.

Today I decided to order some TP-Link Omada AP's and controller and gateway off Amazon, so I just installed it all and removed my Unifi network.  I have a 5500 sq ft house, and first thing I was shocked with is with Ubiquiti I need 6 APs to get full coverage, but I installed ONE of the TP-Link Wifi 6 AP's in a central spot, and I'm getting better performance EVERYWHERE in the house on just one AP which is insane.  I'm still going to add a couple more to be safe, but I can even go out to my pool house and was getting 95Mbps from the single AP in the main house, whereas with Ubiquiti I had to put an actual AP out there just to get signal.

Having said that, the August locks still don't work at all.  I rebooted the controller, and my front door lock does seem to work, but the other 3 don't at all.  It shows my garage and kitchen doors both locked right now when they are unlocked.  No matter what I do they never update.  This is with a new router, and APs, so same issue.

This driver is way too buggy so I'll just keep waiting for the ZigBee modules to come.  I have no problem at all on Hubitat or Home Assistant using all 4 of my August locks, and I have never had an issue accessing them in the August app.  It's just C4 they never work with, or they work for an hour and then all stop.  I guess that's why this driver is free 😕

30 minutes ago, 416to305 said:

So I have an update.  Pretty much calling it quits on this lol.  I also have no issues in the August app or with Home Assistant and have never had it not respond.

Today I decided to order some TP-Link Omada AP's and controller and gateway off Amazon, so I just installed it all and removed my Unifi network.  I have a 5500 sq ft house, and first thing I was shocked with is with Ubiquiti I need 6 APs to get full coverage, but I installed ONE of the TP-Link Wifi 6 AP's in a central spot, and I'm getting better performance EVERYWHERE in the house on just one AP which is insane.  I'm still going to add a couple more to be safe, but I can even go out to my pool house and was getting 95Mbps from the single AP in the main house, whereas with Ubiquiti I had to put an actual AP out there just to get signal.

Having said that, the August locks still don't work at all.  I rebooted the controller, and my front door lock does seem to work, but the other 3 don't at all.  It shows my garage and kitchen doors both locked right now when they are unlocked.  No matter what I do they never update.  This is with a new router, and APs, so same issue.

This driver is way too buggy so I'll just keep waiting for the ZigBee modules to come.  I have no problem at all on Hubitat or Home Assistant using all 4 of my August locks, and I have never had an issue accessing them in the August app.  It's just C4 they never work with, or they work for an hour and then all stop.  I guess that's why this driver is free 😕

More APs is your enemy. They compete and we're likely all set on too high a power and placed wrong. 

Nah, they were professionally installed 3 years ago and were required to hit all areas.  We spent a good 2 weeks installing them doing site survey and having people here with equipment measuring signal and doing the install.  Each on its own channel and set to the minimum power level to have proper overlap without being overpowered.  Was the same company I use at my company that does our Cisco installations in businesses (I just refuse to pay the yearly Meraki licencing fee so went Ubiquiti).  It's the Wifi 6 that's making the difference right now, as this single TP-Link AP is larger than 6 of the Unifi ones stacked together, it's like a satellite dish lol.

Thanks for the assumption though!

On 4/20/2022 at 10:00 AM, 416to305 said:

Yeah Ubiquiti definitely isn't for everyone. I like the level of control and frequent feature adds, despite your (correct) point about the bugginess. I think after about a year of living with it I'm now aware of the things that mess with C4, thankfully.

And btw my symptoms were the same when I was having issues with August. App generally worked but C4 would seem to lose status. Much better now, though the August locks do sometimes die without throwing their battery alarms but that's infrequent.

It's about time for other companies to rip off the August form factor with LAN or purely electrical hardware!

• 1 month later...

Well, I guess I spoke too soon -- with the latest (May) Cinegration August driver, my locks are cycling to 'unknown' status every 15m or so. Anyone else having the issue and/or have any ideas?

I can see in the driver (via Composer) that it's tripping "error connecting to August," but I haven't been able to find new (or any) firewall rules, etc. that might resolve the issue. No change in network or its settings since the prior driver.

Thanks in advance for any help.

5 hours ago, booch said:

Well, I guess I spoke too soon -- with the latest (May) Cinegration August driver, my locks are cycling to 'unknown' status every 15m or so. Anyone else having the issue and/or have any ideas?

I can see in the driver (via Composer) that it's tripping "error connecting to August," but I haven't been able to find new (or any) firewall rules, etc. that might resolve the issue. No change in network or its settings since the prior driver.

Thanks in advance for any help.

in the upgrade somehow the binding is being lost.  Ask your dealer to rebind it and you should be back in business

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.