C4 Forums | Control4

New AVA remote for Control4

anon2828

4 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

If Control4 would take the top half of the Neeo and the bottom half of the SR… they would be in business… 

Exactly.  I would even be fine if they also got rid of hard buttons for the numbers since I barely use those.  But the other buttons in the middle of the remote need to stay.

Just one example of the type of setup I would love to see as an option on the next round of remotes. This is from Crestron. Looks like they finally went Wi-Fi instead of charging for one of their gateways. Not sure that’s better - remote functionality was great even though more expensive - the gateways made a great connection with never a drop in about 14 years of using the system before switching to C4. But for the price premium, I think this remote costs more than the 8” T4 🤦‍♂️ 

But something like this format would be nice.

Note: All keys are backlit on this remote . . .

D56EEFDD-34DC-47CA-B997-174600F0CE5D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jakelay said:

Just one example of the type of setup I would love to see as an option on the next round of remotes. This is from Crestron. Looks like they finally went Wi-Fi instead of charging for one of their gateways. Not sure that’s better - remote functionality was great even though more expensive - the gateways made a great connection with never a drop in about 14 years of using the system before switching to C4. But for the price premium, I think this remote costs more than the 8” T4 🤦‍♂️ 

But something like this format would be nice.

Note: All keys are backlit on this remote . . .

D56EEFDD-34DC-47CA-B997-174600F0CE5D.jpeg

Agreed… Control4 went from the best to worst in the category…fell asleep with its success. 

EB81E696-09DD-4F13-A818-F476526F1764.jpeg

34BFA75D-AA19-454A-8C2A-E3569E0803D1.png

5F415DC9-5B75-4FAE-8C2C-9CB15FC1756D.jpeg

10 hours ago, zaphod said:

Exactly.  I would even be fine if they also got rid of hard buttons for the numbers since I barely use those.  But the other buttons in the middle of the remote need to stay.

Most of my 50+ age clients would still prefer numbers… but once STBs all go to streaming that will be obsolete so I understand the design. 

Other than this new AVA "remote," does anyone hear of rumors of C4 adding or upgrading a remote? I have a 260 in my family living, the NEEO in my living room, but want something for my bedroom. Figured if something new was on the horizon, I would wait for it and move one of the other remotes to the bedroom. I have no interest in the AVA, as I already have a perfectly fine Android tablet and an iPhone. 

That Crestron has always been my "gold standard" - and by always I mean the last few years that it has been on the market.  Has a nice screen, plenty of hard buttons but still no 0-9

I am a STB family so it is still hard to look at remotes without 0-9.  Apple, Amazon, Roku etc have all designed remotes (albeit small) that have only 4-5 buttons.  So not sure why you cannot take that Crestron design or the Savant design and get 0-9 on there and remove some of the other buttons.  How many buttons are needed for apps/streaming?  home,  up/down/left/right, play/pause/stop?

This AVA remote is quite frankly ridiculous.  "Using the remote the company continues allows homeowners to control systems from Sonos, Control4, Savant, Crestron, Lutron and more." That's so misleading as by that logic, every iPhone, Android phone, tablet, etc are also all made for Control4, Savant, etc.  The whole reason I got Neeo remotes is because the C4 app is too slow.  You open it on iPhone and it's always a good 1-2 seconds where it says "Connecting to System" and it does that on Android and iOS.  It's not terrible, but it's far too slow to use it as a TV remote.  I tried for a bit and had to give up.  I can't even imagine how slow it would be grabbing the remote, having to click the C4 app and wait a second for it to come up just before I can control the volume.  Half the time on my phone I'll select a room with media playing, and it doesn't even show on the bottom the media for a good 5 seconds or so.  I usually end up hitting Watch or Listen and manually picking the source as that's often faster.

This remote seems like it's made for the DIY crowd, like the people using Home Assistant or those other do it yourself type systems that don't have a good remote or any support for one.  That makes more sense having it run SmartThings or other apps like that.  But for $1300 or whatever it is.... LOL.

I do agree with the other comments though on the C4 remotes.  The Neeo's are just OK but that's about it.  We got C4 a couple years ago but have been getting quotes on Savant entirely for the reason shown in the screenshot above.  They actually support COLORED lighting.

On 3/10/2022 at 11:26 AM, BY96 said:

Other than this new AVA "remote," does anyone hear of rumors of C4 adding or upgrading a remote? I have a 260 in my family living, the NEEO in my living room, but want something for my bedroom. Figured if something new was on the horizon, I would wait for it and move one of the other remotes to the bedroom. I have no interest in the AVA, as I already have a perfectly fine Android tablet and an iPhone. 

But this isn't a C4 product. Its a third party device. And it isn't a remote, its an android touchscreen crammed into the form factor of a remote. 

Nothing has been announced for a new C4 remote. 

$1,200 for a remote? We have the Neeo’s at half of this price, am not really sure how they are planning to make money out of this? With this price I don’t think they can grow more than one remote per house hold, also u need a dealer to install it for u!?

29 minutes ago, Amr said:

$1,200 for a remote? We have the Neeo’s at half of this price, am not really sure how they are planning to make money out of this? With this price I don’t think they can grow more than one remote per house hold, also u need a dealer to install it for u!?

Which 'they' are you talking about?  Since this is not Control4 hardware, they have a larger audience than the Control4 Neeo remote.

In any case, I would assume they have some gameplan and some strategy for this to make them money...

RyanE

1 minute ago, RyanE said:

Which 'they' are you talking about?  Since this is not Control4 hardware, they have a larger audience than the Control4 Neeo remote.

In any case, I would assume they have some gameplan and some strategy for this to make them money...

RyanE

“They” who made the remote, even a larger audience or whatever can’t justify this huge price tag, I don’t believe any one would dumb $2,400 on a couple of remotes and a company would made a fortune out of it.

31 minutes ago, Amr said:

And there's the question no one has acknowledged.
What's in it for the dealer? Another audio line, there's loads of those.

All these Sonos killers, you know what, survey a couple Sonos owners, sound quailty improvements will NOT make their top 10 desired features list.
I'm not saying there isn't room for high end audio.
But if you're starting with a single driver molded speaker and Spotify, you better have one heck of a sales story.

1 minute ago, RAV said:

And there's the question no one has acknowledged.
What's in it for the dealer? Another audio line, there's loads of those.

All these Sonos killers, you know what, survey a couple Sonos owners, sound quailty improvements will NOT make their top 10 desired features list.
I'm not saying there isn't room for high end audio.
But if you're starting with a single driver molded speaker and Spotify, you better have one heck of a sales story.

My profession is consumer products, services, costing, end user pricing, launch, lifecycle, etc. Would love to take a look at the business case and what assumption had made it there …

4 hours ago, bobbay said:

What control company sells cheaper touchscreens? Yes android tablets and ipads are cheaper, but third party.

There are several examples of touchscreens at less than half the costs of C4 (some you mention), maybe not the HA competitors you are comparing to.   Over $1000 for a touchscreen is over priced in my opinion.   I have a 13" touchscreen from Ubiquiti that is $299 and is better built, better designed than my C4 screen, imho.  

this AVA buttonless remote is a joke.  C4 needs to show up on the remote front.  I've been patient for a while, but at a certain point if they won't compete with Crestron Home or Savant on the remote side, home owners will have to make decisions how important a remote is.  Maybe C4 is banking on a remoteless home as they cozy up to josh.ai and that's why they've fallen asleep at the remote wheel?

16 minutes ago, WisC4 said:

this AVA buttonless remote is a joke.  C4 needs to show up on the remote front.  I've been patient for a while, but at a certain point if they won't compete with Crestron Home or Savant on the remote side, home owners will have to make decisions how important a remote is.  Maybe C4 is banking on a remoteless home as they cozy up to josh.ai and that's why they've fallen asleep at the remote wheel?

You do know the AVA is not made by Control4, right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.