C4 Forums | Control4

C4 compatible streaming player to watch Youtube, Netflix and etc outside USA

I need some suggestions for Control4 compatible streaming players which are supported outside USA.
I should be able to control the streaming player from the Control4 app.
I need to watch youtube, Netflix and etc...

I have been using Apple TV and it sucks big time when it comes to Control4 integration.
Apple TV keeps disconnecting whenever a new update arrives. Every time it gets disconnected, I need to reset Apple TV and reupdate. 
With the most recent IOS update, even though it displays that the C4 remote is getting connected, it cannot be controlled. 

I'm looking for a good streaming player, where the C4 integration is stable and doesn't get disconnected due to updates and etc....

Thank you
Dinushan Paranavithana

41 minutes ago, alanchow said:

My favorite is the Chromecast with Google TV.

Just watch how much data the Chromecast uses...  My oldest was living in the basement with his family a while back, and his wife streamed YouTube videos over Chromecast, and it *REALLY* sucked up the data.

Caught it in time to not get dinged for overages, but the Chromecast used considerably more data on the network than the 2 Rokus which were used by the rest of the family.

I ended up needing to restrict the Chromecast's data rate on the router.

Just something to keep an eye on.

RyanE

3 hours ago, RyanE said:

Just watch how much data the Chromecast uses...  My oldest was living in the basement with his family a while back, and his wife streamed YouTube videos over Chromecast, and it *REALLY* sucked up the data.

Caught it in time to not get dinged for overages, but the Chromecast used considerably more data on the network than the 2 Rokus which were used by the rest of the family.

I ended up needing to restrict the Chromecast's data rate on the router.

Just something to keep an eye on.

RyanE

Not something i care about since we have unlimited data.  Most people over in Australia have unlimited data but pay for different speeds.

5 hours ago, alanchow said:

My favorite is the Chromecast with Google TV.  Supports 4k HDR and is bang for buck if you're after streaming services.

Works great with the following driver.

https://www.chowmainsoft.com/android

Hi @alanchow

is it possible to connect a Chromecast with Google TV or Xiaomi Mibox to a Control4 Audio & Video Matrix switch to access it from multiple TVs?

Also will I be able to take the full control of the GUI of Chromecast with Google TV using Control4 app from the iPhone just like we control AppleTV?
(Hope it is not a must to have a SR260 or Neeo remote to navigate the operating system/GUI of the device)

So are both devices controlled through Control4 over IP?

Thank you
Dinushan 

12 hours ago, Cyknight said:

AppleTV = IR integration, period. IP doesn't add any benefit anyway. Use an IR driver and it'll work just fine.

Android TV is likely available, and the above mentioned driver is excellent.

Best integration is probably Roku, but as per above post I can't comment on availability.

Hi @Cyknight

Im having a 4th Gen Apple TV. Is it possible to control through IR? I tried once but it didn’t work out.

Another isssue with ATV is that it suddenly turns off (The LED indicator turns off). Then it doesn’t turn on even with the ATV remote.
Then I need to unplug the power cable and replug it to turn ATV on. 
This issue was common in multiple ATVs I had. 

Thank you
Dinushan 

Yes, it can certainly be controlled IR - look for Jessie Smith on here, and there's a 3rd party driver that has some added commands and works great.

As far as the turn off - just set the appleTV to never go to sleep and you should nbe fine, though on both the C4 made and Jessie's driver, a press of menu and cancel right after each other usually wakes it up just fine.

22 minutes ago, Dinushan Paranavithana said:

Hi @alanchow

is it possible to connect a Chromecast with Google TV or Xiaomi Mibox to a Control4 Audio & Video Matrix switch to access it from multiple TVs?

Also will I be able to take the full control of the GUI of Chromecast with Google TV using Control4 app from the iPhone just like we control AppleTV?
(Hope it is not a must to have a SR260 or Neeo remote to navigate the operating system/GUI of the device)

Thank you
Dinushan 

Yes, yes and yes.

52 minutes ago, Dinushan Paranavithana said:

Hi @alanchow

Thank you
Dinushan 

Yes.  That is correct.  In fact you actually get more controls than whats on the remote with transport controls in addition to navigation.

Am just tying to understand how u failed to get an IR driver to work? Were u using the correct driver? Jesse driver works, IR will never stop working whatever Apple do with tvOS!

For me my favorite ever steamer is Xiaomi Mi Box, very cheap, I use it wired not WiFi with IRUSB and Chowmain IRUSB driver, great box, lovely Interface and with the proper smart DNS service, all US contents can be viewed.

48 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

I don't think they're much different than other VPNs & DNS service from the US. So if you have one try it but make sure the Ip is swiped to the US, and you're using a US based DNS server.

I have a great experience with them, they have a great customer service and they added a service for me that was not supported before in less than 48 hours from my request.

On 3/13/2022 at 7:20 AM, South Africa C4 user said:

Even in SA

Same here, though I can't speak for all of Canada. Some providers still 'state' a download limit, but unless you're talking bitcoin mining or (pro) server hosting (not talking about hosting something like a minecraft server)........nothing ever happens.

Just now, Cyknight said:

Same here, though I can't speak for all of Canada. Some providers still 'state' a download limit, but unless you're talking bitcoin mining or (pro) server hosting (not talking about hosting something like a minecraft server)........nothing ever happens.

Here in Ontario Bell and Rogers are unlimited in their high-ish end plans that have download speeds of about 200Mbps or more.  Unfortunately they no longer allow you to see how much data you use - I would love to have seen how much I would have used at the peak of the pandemic.

36B9033C-48C1-46FA-83C1-DE34E1071548.thumb.jpeg.94780bb74f6efce3fdd6b6138766cfde.jpeg

Hi Guys,

I bought a Xiaomi Mi Box S and tested it with Control4. I used @alanchow’s Android TV driver for the integration. It works well when connected directly and I even tested it through Binary MoIP using a Pakedge SX switch. Only problem I’m having right now is when I connect the Mi Box S to a Leaf AV Matrix, I’m not getting the sound from TVs in all zones. Any idea why this could be ?

Thank you

42 minutes ago, Dinushan Paranavithana said:

36B9033C-48C1-46FA-83C1-DE34E1071548.thumb.jpeg.94780bb74f6efce3fdd6b6138766cfde.jpeg

Hi Guys,

I bought a Xiaomi Mi Box S and tested it with Control4. I used @alanchow’s Android TV driver for the integration. It works well when connected directly and I even tested it through Binary MoIP using a Pakedge SX switch. Only problem I’m having right now is when I connect the Mi Box S to a Leaf AV Matrix, I’m not getting the sound from TVs in all zones. Any idea why this could be ?

Thank you

I've never used the Mi Box Personally (but fairly sure it's one in our office Alan has tested actually). In all likelihood though, you need to go into the the audio settings and enable something like PCM/Stereo mode (it might be trying to output as TrueHD or other surround formats not supported by some TV's) 

Hi @Andrew luecke

Actually my AVR Sony DA5800ES is in my server room. 
The speakers are in the Theatre room to listen to music and video's audio which are connected to this AVR.
I connected both Mi Box S & Chromecast to the Leaf AV Matrix.
One of the outputs of Leaf AV Matrix (Zone 5) is connected to this AVR (HDMI Input GAME) to get the video's audio through the receiver. 

However, the audio of Mi Box S & Chromecast is not outputting through the AVR. 
But the audio of Apple TV works.

I tried changing the settings of the AVR, but I couldn't figure it out yet. 

5 hours ago, Dinushan Paranavithana said:

Hi @Andrew luecke

Actually my AVR Sony DA5800ES is in my server room. 
The speakers are in the Theatre room to listen to music and video's audio which are connected to this AVR.
I connected both Mi Box S & Chromecast to the Leaf AV Matrix.
One of the outputs of Leaf AV Matrix (Zone 5) is connected to this AVR (HDMI Input GAME) to get the video's audio through the receiver. 

However, the audio of Mi Box S & Chromecast is not outputting through the AVR. 
But the audio of Apple TV works.

I tried changing the settings of the AVR, but I couldn't figure it out yet. 

Did u tried to change audio settings on the MiBox?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.