C4 Forums | Control4

Help configuring new switch

rareair

I really need some help configuring a Linksys SRW224G4P switch so my system can see it. My existing switch (D-Link Websmart DES-1228P) was blown out in a blackout. Lots of red lights that indicate power isn't going over. Installers plugged it directly into a wall outlet vs. a surge protector. Don't know why the stupidity, but I really don't want to use them any more due to that and many other completely inept services. Things are more broke when they leave than before they got there. And that D-Link was my second one inside a year, so I just didn't want to go back to the same switch.

So... I need to just get all my cables moved over to this new switch. I tried to just plug them in but then nothing worked on my system.

I'm really novice at this. I'm good with computers and hardware but have NO idea how to connect and configure this situation.

Help!!!

and thank you!

rareair

Here:

I. Connect to the switch using the Web Interface.

The default IP address of the switch is 192.168.1.254 which you will need to change if you are not using a 192.168.1.* subnet or this address is not outside your DHCP scope. If this address is ok on your particular network, you can skip to step II.

a) Change the IP address using the serial interface.

We want to use the Web Interface; to do that, we will need to connect to the switch via a serial cable and using Hyper Terminal assign the switch a valid IP address on our subnet.

B) Use a straight through serial cable (not a null modem) and Hyper Terminal to connect to the switch. The Hyper Terminal settings need to be:

Bits Per Second: 38400

Data Bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop Bits: 1

Flow Control: None

c) Login to the switch.

By default the username is: admin

Leave the password blank.

d) Set the IP address of the switch.

Select: “1. System Configuration Menu”

Select: “4. IP Configuration”

Select: “1. IP Address Settings”

Select: “Edit”

Set the IP Address to a suitable value for your subnet.

Set the Subnet Mask to a suitable value for your subnet.

Set the Default Gateway.

Press ESC and Save your settings

Select Quit

Press ESC to return to the main menu

Select: “7. Reboot System”

Select: “Y” to confirm.

You can watch the switch boot up in Hyper Terminal, then close Hyper Terminal and using a browser connect to the switch via http://IPaddressYouGaveTheSwitch

II. Configure the switch to allow SSDP multicasts on every port, since Control4 gear needs to hear the multicasts.

a) Login to the web interface: http://IPAddressYouGaveTheSwitch

Use the username: admin and leave the password field blank.

B) Select “Multicast” from the top menu. Then select “Static Member Ports” from the sub menu on the thin blue bar at the top. In the “Multicast IP Address” enter the address: 239.255.255.250

(Enter that address regardless of your network configuration).

Then select all the Ethernet ports 1 – 24 and the Gigabit ports 25,26,27,28 and click Add. You should then see a new entry in the table below.

c) Reboot the switch to

Select: “More” from the top menu in black.

Select: “Admin” from the top menu in black.

Select: “More” from the top menu in blue.

Select: “More” again from the top menu in blue.

Select: “Reboot” from the top menu in blue.

Click on “Reboot” and click “Ok” to confirm.

The switch will reboot.

That's it. You do not need to disable Spanning Tree.

Here:

I. Connect to the switch using the Web Interface.

The default IP address of the switch is 192.168.1.254 which you will need to change if you are not using a 192.168.1.* subnet or this address is not outside your DHCP scope. If this address is ok on your particular network, you can skip to step II.

a) Change the IP address using the serial interface.

We want to use the Web Interface; to do that, we will need to connect to the switch via a serial cable and using Hyper Terminal assign the switch a valid IP address on our subnet.

B) Use a straight through serial cable (not a null modem) and Hyper Terminal to connect to the switch. The Hyper Terminal settings need to be:

Bits Per Second: 38400

Data Bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop Bits: 1

Flow Control: None

c) Login to the switch.

By default the username is: admin

Leave the password blank.

d) Set the IP address of the switch.

Select: “1. System Configuration Menu”

Select: “4. IP Configuration”

Select: “1. IP Address Settings”

Select: “Edit”

Set the IP Address to a suitable value for your subnet.

Set the Subnet Mask to a suitable value for your subnet.

Set the Default Gateway.

Press ESC and Save your settings

Select Quit

Press ESC to return to the main menu

Select: “7. Reboot System”

Select: “Y” to confirm.

You can watch the switch boot up in Hyper Terminal, then close Hyper Terminal and using a browser connect to the switch via http://IPaddressYouGaveTheSwitch

II. Configure the switch to allow SSDP multicasts on every port, since Control4 gear needs to hear the multicasts.

a) Login to the web interface: http://IPAddressYouGaveTheSwitch

Use the username: admin and leave the password field blank.

B) Select “Multicast” from the top menu. Then select “Static Member Ports” from the sub menu on the thin blue bar at the top. In the “Multicast IP Address” enter the address: 239.255.255.250

(Enter that address regardless of your network configuration).

Then select all the Ethernet ports 1 – 24 and the Gigabit ports 25,26,27,28 and click Add. You should then see a new entry in the table below.

c) Reboot the switch to

Select: “More” from the top menu in black.

Select: “Admin” from the top menu in black.

Select: “More” from the top menu in blue.

Select: “More” again from the top menu in blue.

Select: “Reboot” from the top menu in blue.

Click on “Reboot” and click “Ok” to confirm.

The switch will reboot.

That's it. You do not need to disable Spanning Tree.

Nice Matt - those are some sweet instructions! It makes me want to buy one of these switches just to follow along!

Alright! The switch is now up and running. Way cool.

Now I'm having trouble getting my mini-touch screens and one controller back online. I see a backlight to them now, so they're getting the juice. Composer just doesn't sense the address when i push the button to set it up. My theater remote isn't working but I actually think it's the controller in there that's not online. I've tried a power cycle and re-address but it's not coming back. There's a few lights that are lit red on the new switch, so I assume it's these components that are out (big assumption, however).

Thanks again for getting me to this point. And thanks in advance for any further tips.

Aaron

Archived