C4 Forums | Control4

What system variable corresponds to the master volume slider in a media session?

RandyR

Question

I start a audio source in a room and then add speakers. In the navigator the screen looks like the image below.  When I move the master volume slider all the levels in the various speakers change accordingly.  

I want to add this same functionality programatically to the up/down buttons on a keypad dimmer but can't figure out what system variable the master volume slider is changing to cause the up/down volume change on all the included speakers.

Can someone help?

Screenshot_20220423-074142_Control4.jpg.c3ffb2c002bc98adc1b7277e1320e7b6.jpg

9 answers to this question

CURRENT_VOLUME is volume for each speaker, and with the media scene deactivated does not impact the other speakers.  You can see those variables in the list of speakers below the pause button on the screenshot. I'm looking for the variable that connects to the master volume slider at the top of the screen that effects all the speaker levels.  It acts like a preamp for the source audio stream.

1 hour ago, RandyR said:

CURRENT_VOLUME is volume for each speaker, and with the media scene deactivated does not impact the other speakers.  You can see those variables in the list of speakers below the pause button on the screenshot. I'm looking for the variable that connects to the master volume slider at the top of the screen that effects all the speaker levels.  It acts like a preamp for the source audio stream.

I don't believe that is available via System variables.

It would be difficult to implement, and would be difficult to use, so I find it unlikely that it will ever be exposed via System variables.

There could be as many media sessions as you have rooms in the project, and they don't always have the same set of rooms in them, and having them just be 'media session 1', 'media session 2', etc. would not be of any value, as you wouldn't know which media session you were trying to adjust the master volume for.

RyanE

The media scenes I am using all have a common room and are activated "based on that room" so that they join the same audio source.  It all works properly on the navigator.  I'm just trying to get the same master volume up/down and connect it to a button on the keypad dimmer. Would anyone at C4 know if that was possible, and if so, how to do it?

15 minutes ago, RandyR said:

The media scenes I am using all have a common room and are activated "based on that room" so that they join the same audio source.  It all works properly on the navigator.  I'm just trying to get the same master volume up/down and connect it to a button on the keypad dimmer. Would anyone at C4 know if that was possible, and if so, how to do it?

I am at C4, and I will tell you, it's not available as a System variable.

RyanE

On 4/28/2022 at 7:45 AM, RandyR said:

Sorry -- I didn't read your question well enough.

I think you could do this with programming (I do something similar in one room that has multiple zones) -- basically, when you press the up or down, have it check your rooms for the current source, and if they match, either sync the volumes or move them proportionally.

Get your dealer to set up a room control driver (multiple room control drivers one for each combination of rooms that you want to control like this).  Your dealer can then bind the volume to your up and down buttons and it will do what you want it to do.  I a, guessing you want to have different room combinations under different conditions. If that is the case then instead of binding, program your conditions and change the the relevant room control drivers volume programtically on a button push.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.