C4 Forums | Control4

Driver / Method to control "Addressable" LED Strips

jevansoh

Hello,

I've been researching a way to control individually addressable (pixel) LED strips but am coming up short.

I'd like to be able to select a solid color, the white channel, and also be able to select a program built into an LED controller such as rainbow, chasing, aurora, fire, etc from a Control4 touchscreen/remote.

Is there a driver or other workaround/method of controlling these types of RGBW Addressable/pixel strips?

I've read a little about DMX control, but I don't know anything about it or how that would work, what I'd need to buy, where to learn how to set it up with Control4, etc.

I'd much prefer a plug-n-play solution if one exists and I have no problem buying a different controller if there is one that works with Control4 and individually addressable pixel LED strips.

Thanks for your help.

You could look at TPLink KL430. They support a few effects: 

And TPLink Driver of course (we have totally rewritten our TPLink driver, and it will actually be released soon).  

Technically, it uses JSON for setting the effects, and whilst we don't expose it in the driver, if there was enough demand we probably could (but there are more than enough effects built in, including christmas scenes, chasing effects and a lightning one). 

If you explicitly need per pixel though, it probably can't do that

Thanks for the info, Andrew.

The strips I'm using are high density COB addressable strips with over 700 LEDS per meter, so I'm afraid the TP Link strips won't work.

What I need to find is a controller (even if it's bundled with a strip, as I could just throw the strip away and use the controller if it is compatible with my type of strips.  Sadly the TP Link controller is not compatible) that will work with standard IC Addressable LED Strips that can somehow interface with Control4.

Through my research, I found people talking about using a DMX controller of some kind to do this, but I don't know how that works and what I need to look for??

DMX is your friend here. 

You'll need a DMX addressable Pixel controller can pretty much use anything. Setup all you scenes etc from here. 

https://www.enttec.com/product/lighting-communication-protocols/dmx512/din-pixie-2-universe-dmx-to-led-pixel-converter-controller/

Secondly you'll need an RS232 DMX engine that will connect to control4. this is what will allow you to control your LED tape from C4.

https://response-box.com/gear/2019/02/rs-232-dmx-engine-rj45-outputs/

Link for C4 driver

https://www.blackwiredesigns.com/store/advanced-dmx-for-control4/

Thanks 

Muj

Edited by mujtaba.khokhar
Forgot to add link for C4 Driver

Depending on the complexity of your pixel animations, you need a controller to perform the shows, if it is just generic rainbow effects there are more options.

I'd be very surprised if each of those pixels would be individually addressable. usually the pixels would be in small groups.

Do you have the link to the tape you were looking at?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.