Upgrade question - Araknis AN-210-SW-8-POE with 3 AN-500-AP-I-AC access points

Hyper

Question

Looking to improve wireless coverage and speed.  Current install:

AN-310-RT-4L2W

AN-210-SW-8-POE 

3 AN-500-AP-I-AC access points.

Questions:

1. is the "Araknis Networks® 810 Series Indoor Wireless Access Point" compatible with my POE switch?  

2. is it "worth" it to upgrade the access points?  Or should I just scrap the system that came with the house I purchased and just go with eero or others?  

Thoughts?  

Many thanks!

6 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Hyper said:

Looking to improve wireless coverage and speed.  Current install:

AN-310-RT-4L2W

AN-210-SW-8-POE 

3 AN-500-AP-I-AC access points.

Questions:

1. is the "Araknis Networks® 810 Series Indoor Wireless Access Point" compatible with my POE switch?  

2. is it "worth" it to upgrade the access points?  Or should I just scrap the system that came with the house I purchased and just go with eero or others?  

Thoughts?  

Many thanks!

1 yes 

2 that's a tough call. Eero is pretty wonderful but I have good results w the 810s also. The biggest difference IMHO w eero v araknis is eero is more resilient to poor placement where placement matters a lot more in araknis. 

17 minutes ago, Hyper said:

Awesome, appreciate the answer and input.

I have a CONTROL4 system with a bunch of lights and such so replacing the router seems a bit unnecessary...

What are you transferring which requires additional speed? I'm currently using AC AP's in my own home

11 hours ago, Andrew luecke said:

What are you transferring which requires additional speed? I'm currently using AC AP's in my own home

Couple things are pushing the upgrade:

1. wifi strength is quite week from one of the units (hoping the Beamforming will aid for video xfer speed/quality)

2. need system to switch between AP as there's a lot of movement in the home during work video conf - the Fast Roaming Capability should allow for that.  (works great with eero in my other home).

Q: looks like I have to purchase them from a dealer (or ebay).  true?  I full run/manage my full system.

4 hours ago, Hyper said:

Couple things are pushing the upgrade:

1. wifi strength is quite week from one of the units (hoping the Beamforming will aid for video xfer speed/quality)

2. need system to switch between AP as there's a lot of movement in the home during work video conf - the Fast Roaming Capability should allow for that.  (works great with eero in my other home).

Q: looks like I have to purchase them from a dealer (or ebay).  true?  I full run/manage my full system.

The 810, should definitely help with what you are trying to accomplish. I don't have enough experience with Eero to comment on that. Yes, you would have to source used from something like ebay or from a dealer.

On 5/29/2022 at 9:07 PM, Hyper said:

I don't spec Araknis switches do to their config gui and poor POE. The switch you have can do 65W POE, max 30W per port, but if all ports are active they cap at 8W per port. The AN-500-AC aps pull 8-10W (16W max) so if those are your only POE devices you are ok.

That switch can handle 3x 810 aps (3 @ 19.1W max = 57.3W)

As for the 810 vs 500 AP it depends on your space. I got used 500s from ebay for my house because I like the better range and I have minimal items on WiFi.

The 810 vs 510 - 810 has a larger antenna array which allows for more devises to consistently get good bandwidth. The 510 will have slightly better range. I replaced 2x 510 aps with 2x 500 aps in my house. 

The Araknis x10 series do have MU-MIMO which will help with more devices connected to the WiFi.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.