C4 Forums | Control4

HC250 Troubleshooting

First post on here but hoping someone can help or at least give me a 2nd opinion.  I have a small Control4 system which is only an HC250 which controls a media center through IR sensors, SR260 remote, and a couple light switches.   Its about 7 years old.  Went to turn on the TV last week and the remote wasnt connecting and neither was the App.  I checked the lights on the unit and the blue power light is on and the wifi is flashing orange.  The unit is connected by ethernet to the router and its showing power on the port but no data.  I also dont see the static IP on the router as active.  

I see several posts on here about the SD card possibly being corrupt.  I mentioned this to our local dealer and he said he checked with Control4 and they think the processor has failed and wants $1500 to replace it.

Does this sound right and if so, how hard would it be to reprogram the unit if I just replaced the 250 myself?  I can get a used HC250 for about $25 on ebay.

HC250's are 3 generations behind at this time, don't run OS3 and were released 10 years ago. Many recently written drivers might not work on OS2 either (or, some features on them will be broken).  

OS3 was released 3 years ago now, and you'd need a dealer to reprogram anyway (and there are lots available, even online). 

I'd personally still be inclined to upgrade honestly unless the cost is a serious issue.   

1 hour ago, Andrew luecke said:

HC250's are 3 generations behind at this time, don't run OS3 and were released 10 years ago. Many recently written drivers might not work on OS2 either (or, some features on them will be broken).  

OS3 was released 3 years ago now, and you'd need a dealer to reprogram anyway (and there are lots available, even online). 

I'd personally still be inclined to upgrade honestly unless the cost is a serious issue.   

Cost is only an issue because this system is only acting as a glorified universal remote currently.  It doesnt do much more than my old Logitech remote did.  I've already paid over $2K since it was installed 7 years ago and its broken down 4 times already.  

If I cant get it up and running relatively cheaply I'll probably just pull it out and toss it.

22 hours ago, nhn2a said:

Cost is only an issue because this system is only acting as a glorified universal remote currently.  It doesnt do much more than my old Logitech remote did.  I've already paid over $2K since it was installed 7 years ago and its broken down 4 times already.  

If I cant get it up and running relatively cheaply I'll probably just pull it out and toss it.

Get the used 250 then, but if there is no copy of your project, a remote dealer will Assest you for sure, but programing remotely will be hell!

2 hours ago, Amr said:

Get the used 250 then, but if there is no copy of your project, a remote dealer will Assest you for sure, but programing remotely will be hell!

I have the backup of the project.  Just need a dealer to link it to my account and restore the project.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.