C4 Forums | Control4

C4 doesn't know when Roku has been turned on or off via the app or Roku remote, is that normal?

416to305

Question

Will post here first before bugging my dealer.  I have a lot of TCL TV's that have Roku built in and I use them with C4.  The problem though is let's say I use the Roku app or the Roku remote to turn on the TV or YouTube, C4 never has any idea of this.  All Navigators, Neeo's etc act like the room is turned off.  If I want to turn the TV off using a Neeo I have to basically tell it to launch YouTube or something else and then press Power Off.

Same in the reverse, I use a Neeo to turn on YouTube on the Roku which works, but then I use the Roku app to turn it off.  C4 then shows now playing in that room as Roku TV forever, even though it's turned off.

Is that normal?  It's IP controlled and uses Mini Apps so I don't get why C4 doesn't report proper status.  

10 answers to this question

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Correct. The Roku is not 2way. 

Incorrect.

The Roku and Roku TV drivers are 2-way drivers.  That said, they're HTTP drivers, and the *Roku device* protocol doesn't expose any power information in the API.

The Roku TV protocol, however, *does* expose power information (returned in '<power-mode>' from the 'query/device-info' call), although a driver version has not been released that polls for that status.

https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/debugging/external-control-api.md

RyanE

44 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Incorrect.

The Roku and Roku TV drivers are 2-way drivers.  That said, they're HTTP drivers, and the *Roku device* protocol doesn't expose any power information in the API.

The Roku TV protocol, however, *does* expose power information (returned in '<power-mode>' from the 'query/device-info' call), although a driver version has not been released that polls for that status.

https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/debugging/external-control-api.md

RyanE

Ok. Thanks for clarifying. But the statement is accurate that due to the lack to polling it doesn't act like a 2 way driver. 

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

Ok. Thanks for clarifying. But the statement is accurate that due to the lack to polling it doesn't act like a 2 way driver. 

Both drivers currently poll for Current App.

You can tell if it's on Netflix or YouTube, etc.

But yeah, it's functionally mostly a one-way driver.

RyanE

I have been wondering about this myself.  Thanks for the clarification.  I would love to see an updated driver that polls for status.  We have several customers that have use Roku TV's in secondary viewing areas.  I have a couple in my own setup as well.  I have been happy with them.

Roku TV Version 145 has been posted to the online database.

ROKUTV_POWER_MODE variable has been added, and for Roku TVs (not standalone players), it can be used to determine the TV's current power state.

You can use programming to select / deselect the Roku TV in the room when the power mode changes.  This Composer code sample is in the driver documentation (you would put this in the Variable Changed for ROKUTV_POWER_MODE):

? If [room]->Roku TV->ROKUTV_POWER_MODE EQUAL TO PowerOn
  ? If [room] Selected Video Device is not Roku TV
    -> Select the Roku TV as the video source in [room]
? Else
  ? If [room] Selected Video Device is Roku TV
    -> Turn off [room]

RyanE

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.