C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 16x16 Audio Matrix - Power Supply issue

dipskhatri

I have had my C4 audio Matrix for a while and recently it stopped working.  I contacted my dealer who then rang C4 and they said they wont repair it, but they did say we are pretty sure its the Power Supply that is causing the issue.

I live in London UK, does anyone know who can fix this for me or where can I get the part for it?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated as I don't want to spend another coupe of thousand pounds in getting a new one, cant afford it right now.

• dipskhatri changed the title to Control4 16x16 Audio Matrix - Power Supply issue

I recently went through this for a customer.  The power supply that is in the matrix is no longer available.  I found a Meanwell power supply that should have been a direct replacement, but it was on backorder until March 2023.  I found another Meanwell that had a larger Amp rating and went for it anyways (purchased an extra too).  Installed it and all is working well again.

If its a V2/V3 Audio Matrix, you'll need a 5V/10Amp supply and the appropriate Molex connectors to swap on the wiring.  I purchased the NFM-20-5

16 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

That would be it.  Same one I purchased.

Now you either have to splice into the existing wiring that goes to the board or buy the right Molex connectors to mate to the new power supply. 

Thanks going to place the order and will order some Molex connectors, I will let you know how I get on 🙂

On 6/21/2022 at 4:12 PM, lippavisual said:

That would be it.  Same one I purchased.

Now you either have to splice into the existing wiring that goes to the board or buy the right Molex connectors to mate to the new power supply. 

Unfortunately I cant get hold of this power supply  no one has it in stock anymore, so they have recommended this one in replacement https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/detail/xp-power/ECL25US05-T/4785611 I assume this should work?

• 3 weeks later...

That looks like the same power supply as an HC-300.  Does anyone know if that is the case?  If so you could try buying an HC-300 on ebay. 

This is a picture of the inside of an HC-300 with the power supply

Replacing the Power Supply in the Control4 Home Controller HC-300 - 5 kHz

They look similar.  Almost positive the HC300 was 12V vs. the matrix requires 5V.

Only way to know is to open it up and read the power supply.  Either way, the old Gongdha power supplies are no where to be found so choose a manufacturer that has a great reputation for power supplies and make your modifications.  Meanwell is the best I've dealt with.

On 7/12/2022 at 3:46 PM, Ryanjackson said:

This is the one I got and from the same site, trying to find someone who can fit it in for me, I have bought the connectors for it, but its a bit fiddley for me unfortunately. 

Did you change the the original wires in the unit to fit that power supply? 

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2022 at 8:03 AM, dipskhatri said:

Sorry for the radio silence on this, I managed to find a person who sells re-condition PSU here in the UK and I ordered one and fitted it in yesterday and it worked :)

Can you provide the company's info so future people with the issue have someplace to turn to?  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm running into the same 16x16 audio matrix as everyone else...will pick up one of these
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/XP-Power/ECL15US05-T?qs=w%2Fv1CP2dgqoNOSGDo4%2FKYw%3D%3D&mgh=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAqaWdBhAvEiwAGAQlto835awdhGul4JrHJRgjFNZy-Hmtw2yQ6c4fmp3Qllu258ShXw-XYhoCEtwQAvD_BwE

but wanted to see if this would be a decent external solution that seems ever so easy to do the quick splice for the DC connector
https://www.amazon.com/ALITOVE-100V-240V-Converter-5-5x2-1mm-Security/dp/B078RXZM4C?th=1

Thanks C4 fam

Turns out the power supply unit was fine...I wired the new PSU and the unit did not power on (and when i tested the old PSU, it was showing proper voltage)...is there another quick fix?  I'm probably going to buy a new unit, but want to research it (will do some searches in these forums)
Thanks

On 9/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, Matt Lowe said:

you can also do an external power supply of similar output. We did this as finding a drop in internal power supply was more difficult and costly.

Any suggestions on what external power supply to use?  Would something like this work - 5V/5A?  https://www.amazon.com/5V-Power-Supply-Adapter-Converter/dp/B07H9W6MCH/

14 hours ago, zaphod said:

Any suggestions on what external power supply to use?  Would something like this work - 5V/5A?  https://www.amazon.com/5V-Power-Supply-Adapter-Converter/dp/B07H9W6MCH/

that should do just fine. get a phoenix to barrel connect to make it a little easier to wire or direct splice will work too.

44 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

that should do just fine. get a phoenix to barrel connect to make it a little easier to wire or direct splice will work too.

I think I will cut the blue and brown DC wires and splice in a female barrel connector for the DC connection.  And splice into the wires on the AC side as well.  And then just use tie wraps to fasten the brick inside the case through the vents.

Lots of empty space in those cases!

Any idea what type of connectors are used on either end of the power supply and the spot where the DC power connects to the main circuit board?