C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 16x16 Audio Matrix - Power Supply issue

dipskhatri

• 1 month later...

I think Amazon external is the way to go to repair the Control4 C4-16ZAMSV3 Power Supply.  Other than the UK seller in this thread, no one includes any type of insulator between the replacement board and the case.  There are 3 US sellers I would steer away from on eBay if you do this fix:

z2008a

audiodenny

theroyalalchemis.t

I recently bought one of these boards (heavy duty version).  Installed ok, powered up ok.  Everything seemed great, but the problem is there is no support except a single screw and a rubber FOOT.  The foot is not balanced in relation to which screw the instructions say to use.  Thus when you are wiggling the unit back into the rack it flexs a bit.  This flex grounds out the bottom of the board to the raised screw holes and sparks go everywhere.  It tripped my home circuit breaker.  

The eBay board lasted a whole 1 time.  Do not buy the design from the above sellers.  The UK seller in this thread has addressed the issue by including a plastic base to mount to.  I tried buying another board (3 times from each above sellers) and insulate it myself. Instead the guy cancels my paid orders banned me at each of the above sellers.  I didn't even want a refund just another board.  Now I have a cut up unit and no idea where to go.  I wouldn't even of found this thread had he sold me another one of his boards, but sure am glad he didn't.

Now I can warn you of what designs to buy and what to stay away from.  I am going to start selling this improved fix on eBay but with all the leads prepped.

I went the "external" power supply route as you posted above its a better solution since the power supply is encased in plastic so it will never ground out on the case.  Mounted it securely inside as above and no more issues.  

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Found a match for the original on Ebay, connected everything back up and 3 zones were silent.  They were all zones that went into my AVRs.  Very odd.

Looked a little closer and those 3 zones, and only those 3, had gotten muted/infinite -dB.  Adjusted them on the screen and everything seems good now.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.