C4 Forums | Control4

Has anyone set up Roon with a 8 port Matrix Amp?

Hi Folk, 

we're playing around, but it seem to be a bit confusing on how to set up roon.

We physically have a Mac Mini running as a Roon Core. The mini is connected to an INPUT on the 8 Matrix Amp.

What we can't figure out is how to define the endpoints. It doesn't seem like the Core Driver has any connections, and at the same time we don't see connections from the Zone that could work with an existing output not he 8 Matrix. 

thanks for any tips.....

Hi Folk, 
we're playing around, but it seem to be a bit confusing on how to set up roon.
We physically have a Mac Mini running as a Roon Core. The mini is connected to an INPUT on the 8 Matrix Amp.
What we can't figure out is how to define the endpoints. It doesn't seem like the Core Driver has any connections, and at the same time we don't see connections from the Zone that could work with an existing output not he 8 Matrix. 

thanks for any tips.....

Do you want the Roon to be integrated into C4? If so, you need a nucleus. But if you just want it as a source you control outside of C4, I’m sure there is a way to set that up. I’ll let others weigh in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

Do you want the Roon to be integrated into C4? If so, you need a nucleus. But if you just want it as a source you control outside of C4, I’m sure there is a way to set that up. I’ll let others weigh in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that used to be the case. however they now moved drivers to open source and have stated that any device can be a core.

1 hour ago, Topspin14m said:

Interesting.  You get the same interface either way?

Who know, right now there's a lot of frustration. We would have expected the Roon Core driver to have Audio Out Connection we can link to the Matrix Switch then the same with the Zone driver. Not much information, or help from Roon.

The app is interface is probably one of the best, and search C4 interface is nice, and has search (unlike plex) But with all the difficulties and lack of remote access, I'm leaning towards staying with Plex. 

On 6/29/2022 at 2:44 AM, Gary Leeds UK said:

Yes you get the same interface - We have is working the House PC been the Core 

@Gary Leeds UKany chance you have it working through a C4 Amp and whole home audio. From what we can see, ROON relies on airplay to distribute audio. The core driver didn't even have connections in the c4 app...  very cool app, but I'm loosing confidence vs the simplicity of plex

thanks.

4 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

@Gary Leeds UKany chance you have it working through a C4 Amp and whole home audio. From what we can see, ROON relies on airplay to distribute audio. The core driver didn't even have connections in the c4 app...  very cool app, but I'm loosing confidence vs the simplicity of plex

thanks.

No we use with Sonos 

• 4 weeks later...

So just in case anyone in the future stumbles upon this post, here's how we use Room and whole home distro with C4......

We're using a MacMini as the Roon Core (server)

Whole home audio is supplied by control4 matrix amps.

For every individual stream of music, I used a Pi with WifiBerry OS and a WifiBerry DAC. The DACs are connected via ethernet to the same network as the Roon Core. The RCAs on the DACs connect to an input channel on the Control4 Matrix Amp.

Music selection is simple. From Control4, select the room -> audio -> roon.

Once the room is playing, music choices can come from either C4 or any Roon controller (a pc, phone, iPad running Roon).

23 hours ago, dew1551 said:

you can just take a usb day as output and input it to the matrix and it will play as well. 

Sometimes the easiest connection can be overlooked.

Yes, the easiest way from Core to Amp is probably this...if the USB ports are available and nearby.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.