C4 Forums | Control4

Programming Block Not Working

The first 5 lines of the programming block work, but when it gets to line 6 ("Set the blind target level on Equipment -> Family Curtains to Open") it stops.  Lines 6-10 will not execute.

Any idea why this is not working?

Programming.jpg

Try adding a 50ms-500ms delay between line 5 and 6. I have seen some systems have issues when telling multiple AV zones to turn off in sequence like that.

Alternatively add in a room control driver and select those rooms in the driver properties. Then use that driver in programming to turn them off with one command vs the 3.

Your programming lines also show your turning the TV's off and not the room. If you don't use the room control driver you should switch it to "Turn Of Family Room" instead of the TV (Select the room on the right side of programming). Room level commands are always better than device level and it will help keep Control4 in sync.

Try a different order.

You may even be able to eliminate all or most of the delays, as the system will naturally be doing the other items and include the time you need between commands, speeding up the time to completion from execution.
Close the blinds
Lock the Doors
Turn off the office
Stop the blinds
Turn off the lights
Turn off the living
Close the blinds
Turn off the family

If the family processor is doing the blinds and some of the other stuff, it's likely the busy point.

9 hours ago, TFlury said:

Try adding a 50ms-500ms delay between line 5 and 6. I have seen some systems have issues when telling multiple AV zones to turn off in sequence like that.

Alternatively add in a room control driver and select those rooms in the driver properties. Then use that driver in programming to turn them off with one command vs the 3.

Your programming lines also show your turning the TV's off and not the room. If you don't use the room control driver you should switch it to "Turn Of Family Room" instead of the TV (Select the room on the right side of programming). Room level commands are always better than device level and it will help keep Control4 in sync.

Thanks for the suggestions. 

1) The TV's in those rooms are not controlled via a control4 remote.  These are turned on/off and controlled via the remote that came with those TV's.  As a result, Control4 often does not recognize when those TV's are on.  By using the "Turn off Family Room TV" it always turns off that specific device.  If I use the room function, the TV will not turn off since the system does not know it is on.

2) I tried your suggestion of adding a delay betwen lines 5 & 6 which did not work :(.  I also tried rearranging the programming lines so the blinds where the first 6 lines of code, but that did not work either. 

Any other suggestions?

8 hours ago, RAV said:

Try a different order.

You may even be able to eliminate all or most of the delays, as the system will naturally be doing the other items and include the time you need between commands, speeding up the time to completion from execution.
Close the blinds
Lock the Doors
Turn off the office
Stop the blinds
Turn off the lights
Turn off the living
Close the blinds
Turn off the family

If the family processor is doing the blinds and some of the other stuff, it's likely the busy point.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I tried a different order and it did not work. 

I also require the 1 second delay after the blinds are set to open and then the command to stop the blinds needs to occur otherwise the blinds will open completely.  The purpose of this code is to solve the issue that control4 often does not correctly recognize what state the blinds are in.  If someone uses the somfy remote to control the blinds, conrol4 does not know.  It only remembers the last position the blinds where in via control from Control4 system.  There is no 2-way communication between the blinds and control4 system which results in the two being out of sync often.  

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

1) huge mistake. Use c4 remotes

Hey MSGreen.  I appreciate the advice but have to chime in with a few comments:

1) The Control4 remotes are expensive and the remote requires a charging base. 

2) Battery life on OEM remotes that come with TV is much better.

3) Control4 remote does not allow voice communication with the TV.

4) Kids and wife are much more comfortable with the OEM remotes (and I understand why).

5) OEM remotes are far more tactile than control4 remotes.

6) OEM remotes are far more responsive than the control4 remotes and navigation through menus and/or volume work much quicker. 

13 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

You are never going to have success with a control system bypassing. 

Using OEM remotes on TVs that you are also controlling via Control4 programming (or with Control4 UIs in addition to the OEM) is a bad idea, and is going to be troublesome.

You may eventually make it work somewhat, but there are no guarantees when the TVs don't report status to the control system, and even when they do, it's problematic to try and make it work that way.

RyanE

By the way, if voice control is important, you are aware C4 has Alexa, google and Josh support (but that only seems to mainly be US) right?   

Also, have you seen the SR260 as an alternative to the NEEO? It's designed to be more similar to a traditional remote: https://www.control4.com/solutions/products/remotes/ (more importantly, unlike the NEEO, it's possible there is more stock availability). Last I checked, you can get a standard battery version, and a rechargeable version.

12 hours ago, RyanE said:

Using OEM remotes on TVs that you are also controlling via Control4 programming (or with Control4 UIs in addition to the OEM) is a bad idea, and is going to be troublesome.

You may eventually make it work somewhat, but there are no guarantees when the TVs don't report status to the control system, and even when they do, it's problematic to try and make it work that way.

RyanE

The standalone TV's that are being controlled via OEM remotes work fine not using a Control4 remote.  They are in rooms that do not have AV receivers and audio is output via the TV's speakers.  My only need for Control4 integration at these locations is to ensure they turn off when they are not being used, for example when nobody is home and the alarm is armed.  Even though every single electronic device in my house does not run through the Conotrl4 environment, I still have great success with my system.

Now that we got that out of the way, can anyone help me with my original query?

Just now, ajd123 said:

The standalone TV's that are being controlled via OEM remotes work fine not using a Control4 remote.  They are in rooms that do not have AV receivers and audio is output via the TV's speakers.  My only need for Control4 integration at these locations is to ensure they turn off when they are not being used, for example when nobody is home and the alarm is armed.  Even though every single electronic device in my house does not run through the Conotrl4 environment, I still have great success with my system.

Now that we got that out of the way, can anyone help me with my original query?

Your assumption that room off will work reliable when you don't power on the room in control4 is not accurate 

5 hours ago, Andrew luecke said:

By the way, if voice control is important, you are aware C4 has Alexa, google and Josh support (but that only seems to mainly be US) right?   

Also, have you seen the SR260 as an alternative to the NEEO? It's designed to be more similar to a traditional remote: https://www.control4.com/solutions/products/remotes/ (more importantly, unlike the NEEO, it's possible there is more stock availability). Last I checked, you can get a standard battery version, and a rechargeable version.

We are currently using the SR260's.  We opted for the rechargeable model as the standard batteries drained too quickly.

When someone who has not been educated how to use the SR260 remote wants to watch TV (young kids, family members who do not want to learn, guests, grandparents etc), the TV's OEM remotes are invaluable.  The OEM remotes are only used on TV's that do not have SR260's so there are not any sync issues.

"By the way, if voice control is important, you are aware C4 has Alexa, google and Josh support (but that only seems to mainly be US) right?".  These are good options, but their functionality is nowhere close to using the voice engine that is integrated into the TV itself.

3 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Your assumption that room off will work reliable when you don't power on the room in control4 is not accurate 

That is why I am using the programming line to just turn off the specific device, not the entire room.  For example: turn off the office --> office tv.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.