C4 Forums | Control4

Enphase api available

Enphase appears to have an api for their solar micro inverters. Would be amazing if someone could create a driver with it especially to shut down loads if goes off grid. Would then love to integrate Tesla driver and Weather api to charge car at amps meeting production or hold charging if sun expected shortly. If I need a faster charge I can always manually override. Just a thought. Would definitely pay.

https://developer-v4.enphase.com/?utm_source=community&utm_medium=answer_links&utm_campaign=internal_reference

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

Prioritizing loads is the kind of stuff that Span has been created to do with its Smart Circuit Breaker Panel.

yeah but short of changing the panels this would be quick and easy also allows for me to change charging speed on electric vehicle based on production 

Reading the documentation, none of the "Free" API's can control anything, just GET data from monitoring, the only API that seems to be able to perform commands is the Commissioning API - which currently has no pricing details, just says its for Partners (registered enphase installers with at least 10 installs) - https://developer-v4.enphase.com/plans

Even the free plan is a bit average but not too bad, 10 hits per minute / 1000 hits per month.. so around 1 hit an hour.. which I guess is okay for monitoring overall consumption and production details.. but it wont let you gather Device Level Production details so you cannot see how much each micro inverter is producing.

FYI - there is currently a driver built using the Local json / xml files available directly off the Envoy-S web UI here - https://github.com/warmenhoven/envoy-c4z

I would think you could program off the status updates no? Ie Solar system goes "off grid" I would assume it's because of grid outage and then turn off 1 AC unit, tell Tesla to stop charging or bump down charge rate significantly, send a push notification, etc. That is what I'm looking for.

11 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

I would think you could program off the status updates no? Ie Solar system goes "off grid" I would assume it's because of grid outage and then turn off 1 AC unit, tell Tesla to stop charging or bump down charge rate significantly, send a push notification, etc. That is what I'm looking for.

ah sorry, yep I get you now, so the driver I mentioned has this option as Grid Detection, it sets a contact sensor state on grid status.. and would be far quicker since you are limited with the cloud API for the roughly 1 call per hour, it could take you as long as 1 hour to detect if your grid connection changes.

• 1 month later...

Hi I just joined the forum and am building a house with Enphase and Control4.  Its whole home backup so if the grid is down and solar production is limited I'd want to trigger a house scene to turn things down and similarly set a variable to be used as a conditional to limit usage going forward.  Pool heater/pump, lights, HVAC set points etc. I view this a a poor mans load control to make sure the battery (20KWHr for me) can last till the next day's sun and get charged again while keeping AC and refrigeration going for at least 24 hours.  So yes this is something I'd really like to see.

With respect to the car, my understanding is the car determines the charging demand from the charging station so I'm not sure there is a way to let the car know it shouldn't drain the house batteries.  I don't expect this to happen often and will just need to watch the alerts and make sure I pause the charging manually whenever there is a prolonged grid outage.

Does your car have an API?  With a Tesla there is an API that allows you to start or stop charging.  Do you have a Tesla, or does your car have anything like that?  I think there is a C4 driver for Tesla, or at least someone was working on one.

Following.

Working with a solar installer now. I specified both electrical panels be replaced with SPAN panels, however only one can be tied into the Enphase battery system. Control4 is my next project and tying everything together with SPAN, Enphase and C4 will make our life so much easier...and predictable. 

On 9/20/2022 at 8:49 AM, JackD said:

Hi I just joined the forum and am building a house with Enphase and Control4.  Its whole home backup so if the grid is down and solar production is limited I'd want to trigger a house scene to turn things down and similarly set a variable to be used as a conditional to limit usage going forward.  Pool heater/pump, lights, HVAC set points etc. I view this a a poor mans load control to make sure the battery (20KWHr for me) can last till the next day's sun and get charged again while keeping AC and refrigeration going for at least 24 hours.  So yes this is something I'd really like to see.

With respect to the car, my understanding is the car determines the charging demand from the charging station so I'm not sure there is a way to let the car know it shouldn't drain the house batteries.  I don't expect this to happen often and will just need to watch the alerts and make sure I pause the charging manually whenever there is a prolonged grid outage.

If you have a Tesla, you can use an app called "ChargeHQ" (https://chargehq.net/), which lets you control when your car starts charging based on the Enphase Envoy solar production information, it is not natively supported yet but there is a few methods of how to integrate it currently with Enphase using their Push API - https://chargehq.net/kb/push-api (see bottom of page for 2 options based on Enphase solar).

I have also made a driver for the Tesla Wall Connector (Gen 3), which pulls in data from it's API and puts them into variables which can be programmed off in Control4 - https://github.com/Leighm0/Tesla-Home-Charger (Note - it cannot control the charger or the car), and there is also an IntrinsicDev driver to control the vehicle here - https://www.intrinsicdev.com/downloads/tesla-vehicle-driver-for-control4/

Thanks - The app seems to try to maximize solar consumptions and savings.  I've got some time yet on my construction and hope the folks from Enhpase / Clipper Creek have this in their product plan for 2023!

Yeah have both enphase, a generator, and solar panels w a Tesla. Haven't found a great way to do this except maybe you could have an outlet or two that aren't going to be powered in outage. Then put a kasa plug or something in there and if that plug loses power trigger programming to turn things off. Tesla driver from intrinsic will allow you to turn off car charging.