C4 Forums | Control4

Best Locks for C4

14 minutes ago, CentralAirTechC4 said:

I am looking to put zigbee locks in a new rental. The home owners wants locks that they can change codes remotely through C4. What are the pros and cons of the different locks using zigbee? I have installed schlage and yale before without problems. How is kwikset? Thank you for your help!

I use Kwisket, no real complaints.  My two cents, get ones that have native drivers versus cloud/3rd party drivers.  I also like Kwikset for the "smart key" feature as it is easy to get all locks using the same key without a locksmith.  I think Baldwin may have that feature too but not on the line that is C4 compatible.

20 hours ago, CentralAirTechC4 said:

Thank you all for your help! I ordered some Kwikset locks that should be here next week and I am excited to see how they do!

Heres Hoping you ordered the kwikset locks with the C4 zigbee card :)

• 3 months later...

If I get a Kwikset or Baldwin C4-compatible lock, which app do I use to manage the lock? Such as provisioning new users, changing codes, etc? Is this in the C4 app or the native manufacturer app? Can I still use the manufacturer app to lock & unlock or only via C4 app?

Kwikset vs Baldwin? People seem to recommend Kwikset, but wife like Baldwin. Any actual downsides to the latter?

9 hours ago, maxspivak said:

If I get a Kwikset or Baldwin C4-compatible lock, which app do I use to manage the lock? Such as provisioning new users, changing codes, etc? Is this in the C4 app or the native manufacturer app? Can I still use the manufacturer app to lock & unlock or only via C4 app?

Kwikset vs Baldwin? People seem to recommend Kwikset, but wife like Baldwin. Any actual downsides to the latter?

For kwikset you manage everything you mentioned in the c4 app

cant speak for Baldwin as I have no experience 

• 10 months later...
41 minutes ago, ceefour321 said:

@eggzlotHow do you get the kwikset smartkey locks talking to C4?

https://www.kwikset.com/smartkey-security

SmartKey just allows you to rekey the doors to have 1 matching key without calling a locksmith.  That feature is manual and outside of c4

that said I have 3 of the Kwikset locks and they work fine.  I upgraded 2 of them for style purposes but never had a failure 

7 hours ago, ceefour321 said:

@eggzlot so when using smart key deadbolt, do you also have a separate kwikset lock on the door that integrates with C4?

.....or this type of setup, you just have a smartkey deadbolt and no other C4 lock on the door.

smartKEY have nothing to do with ANY control (or "smart") system at all. Smartkey is just a way of keying physical keys more easily, be it for a new key or to key different locks to the same key without needing matched cylinders.

No more or less. Basically stop using 'smartkey' as a type of lock to integrate. Even smartCODE locks aren't really 'smart' in that those are the ones without a wireless communcation and just have on device set codes and time based autolock options.

Kwikset's line of 'app/control system controlled' locks is called HOMECONNECT. C4 has their 'own' line they sell, though the cards from those can be used in many other kwikset HOMECONNECT locks as well. As mentioned above, Zwave is an option as well. 'just' bluetooth varieties are not.