C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Idiot looking for information about new UI software :)

39CentStamp

I have read many posts at RemoteCentral/AVS and other boards about C4's 'coming soon' customizable UI software. Is this available now?

If not, any ideas when it will be?

If so.. how would a non C4 guy go about getting the software? Is it dealer only or can the software be purcahsed? Is there a developer program that i could take part in to have access to the software?

I am interested in building user interfaces for C4. Thanks for any/all info.

I've been trying for over two years to get help from C4. No luck even after signing a confidentiality agreement.

I have been able to reverse engineer the Director protocol and create my own iPhone user interface. Send me an email and I can share what I've done.

I have read many posts at RemoteCentral/AVS and other boards about C4's 'coming soon' customizable UI software. Is this available now?

If not, any ideas when it will be?

Product is still in development. C4 has not announced a release date. A guesswould be probably some time Q1 or Q2 2010.

If so.. how would a non C4 guy go about getting the software? Is it dealer only or can the software be purcahsed? Is there a developer program that i could take part in to have access to the software?

I am interested in building user interfaces for C4. Thanks for any/all info.

The software to do these customizations is only available to C4 dealers.

^ Alan ....

Interesting statement. For some reason it struck me this afternoon that perhaps the winds could shift in the not so distant future. Would you say it's out of the question for C4 to establish a developers network ? As I'm sure you would agree, those that install are not necessarily the ones who are most qualified to develop code. In the case of 2.0 we're talking about a whole new set of skills let alone the ability to provide a UI. The later of which is a special skill unto itself.

Magnify this against the expansion rate of C4's dealer network (the shedding of recently acquired inventory a demonstration of lack of new dealer commitment), the # of actual qualified dealers as a percentage is dropping precipitously.

If it were my company, I'd be thinking along these lines ......

^ Alan ....

Interesting statement. For some reason it struck me this afternoon that perhaps the winds could shift in the not so distant future. Would you say it's out of the question for C4 to establish a developers network ? As I'm sure you would agree, those that install are not necessarily the ones who are most qualified to develop code. In the case of 2.0 we're talking about a whole new set of skills let alone the ability to provide a UI. The later of which is a special skill unto itself.

Magnify this against the expansion rate of C4's dealer network (the shedding of recently acquired inventory a demonstration of lack of new dealer commitment), the # of actual qualified dealers as a percentage is dropping precipitously.

If it were my company, I'd be thinking along these lines ......

Let's wait and see what happens with 2.0. I think we may all be pleasantly surprised.

• 3 weeks later...

See the quote below which I found linked from C4's website. The rest of the article also make several mentions of customization allowed by installers/integrators only. I sure hope they come up with some new model to allow people like myself (light CE and heavy programming and networking experience) to control my own destiny at my house and save money while doing it. Although I am technically a Gen Xer and a small subset of my demographic, I suspect that the Gen Y consumers are much more like me. Wiki's, social networks, etc will quickly replace the dealer networks relevance to Control4 which is all about moving product in a sustainable and scalable way. If I am running any sort of technology business, I see this trend now and figure out how to adapt.

http://hometheaterreview.com/control4-unveils-new-operating-system---os-20/

"Composer 2.0 - Composer 2.0 ensures that all Control4® solutions are easy to install and configure. Control4 has implemented a Composer 2.0 license activation, which allows authorized dealers to specify the installers allowed to use Composer 2.0 and to lock projects to prevent inadvertent changes."

Archived