C4 Forums | Control4

Upgrading HE

TGannon

So he is my deal. During my original install, my dealer installed the wrong (older) version of HE on my laptop (did not match director). When programming with it, everything works fine.

Later on, I wanted to install HE to another computer. I did this via a link sent to me by my dealer. That version (which was installed on my desktop) matched the version of my director.

I didn't use the new version much, but when I added a decent amount of media, my HC300 froze up and I lost control (no scenes, remote didn't work, etc). The only way to get things back up was to reboot the HC300, as well as my entire network. Now, when I even try to connect to director at startup (with the matching version), everything freezes.

Fast forward to the present. I've done all my programming on my laptop (using an older version of HE), as I don't appreciate having to reset my network. My problem is, I am getting a new laptop, and need to reinstall HE on it. I am not confident that when I install the new, matching version of HE on the new laptop that everything will work (as it doesn't with my desktop).

Is there any trick to upgrading? Does anyone have experience with any situations that are remotely near to what I am encountering? Any advice at all? I'd rather not have to involve my dealer, as that means more $$$$ than it costs to get a few dimmers!

So he is my deal. During my original install, my dealer installed the wrong (older) version of HE on my laptop (did not match director). When programming with it, everything works fine.

Later on, I wanted to install HE to another computer. I did this via a link sent to me by my dealer. That version (which was installed on my desktop) matched the version of my director.

I didn't use the new version much, but when I added a decent amount of media, my HC300 froze up and I lost control (no scenes, remote didn't work, etc). The only way to get things back up was to reboot the HC300, as well as my entire network. Now, when I even try to connect to director at startup (with the matching version), everything freezes.

Fast forward to the present. I've done all my programming on my laptop (using an older version of HE), as I don't appreciate having to reset my network. My problem is, I am getting a new laptop, and need to reinstall HE on it. I am not confident that when I install the new, matching version of HE on the new laptop that everything will work (as it doesn't with my desktop).

Is there any trick to upgrading? Does anyone have experience with any situations that are remotely near to what I am encountering? Any advice at all? I'd rather not have to involve my dealer, as that means more $$$$ than it costs to get a few dimmers!

You need to use the version of Composer HE that matches the version of software on your system. There is no trick to installing or upgrading. You should be able to use the link sent to you to install the version of Composer HE that matches your system software version.

So he is my deal. During my original install' date=' my dealer installed the wrong (older) version of HE on my laptop (did not match director). When programming with it, everything works fine.

Is there any trick to upgrading? Does anyone have experience with any situations that are remotely near to what I am encountering? Any advice at all? I'd rather not have to involve my dealer, as that means more $$$$ than it costs to get a few dimmers![/quote']

You need to use the version of Composer HE that matches the version of software on your system. There is no trick to installing or upgrading. You should be able to use the link sent to you to install the version of Composer HE that matches your system software version.

OK, than that leads to a secondary question I guess: What could be causing my system to freeze EVERY time I log onto the correct version of HE?

Archived