C4 Forums | Control4

Technical Support after setup??

Jedi5

I moved into a house that left behind all their C4 equipment.

I had a dealer come out and set me up with a C4 account, get me up and running. There were some minor bugs I found after the tech left. I reached out the next day to the tech and the tech was able to correct everything remotely. Later that evening after everything was working well, 

my Apple TVs worked fine with both audio and video. Then ATVs started to act up where I can see video but get no audio. Aside rebooting the ATV, I don't know what else to do. I meant I guess I can probably reset them, I'm just afraid that I will make things worse.

My question is, if something comes up after hours, is there a C4 number to call for assistance?

I ask because when I purchased the house, I was told that with C4, there is some 24hr C4 technical support that can help you remotely?? That was coming from the selling agent who was told by the owner, so who knows.

Thanks

They lied...all support is from your local dealer. There are remote dealers but they usually do not work on emergency basis (although a few on here might). C4 does not support owners. Only dealers can get tech support from them.

I would recommend moving to the IR driver on this forum for the ATV and not the "official" version which seems to break a little too often. But in your case it is no audio... so you can control the ATV? If you cannot then try controlling with your iPhone (remote app) to see if ATV is working ok. Did the audio pref in ATV get changed? This is more of an issue with video.  Is the sound run through a receiver? audio matrix? If receiver, does the sound from the other sources come through ok? I agree that when set up C4 works great. But to get someone to help in your home can take weeks right now since C4 dealers are really busy with all the construction.

I reached out (emailed) to my dealer who is closed over the weekend. They responded to by email and basically said the same, there is not 24/7 C4 support.

I'm brand new to C4 so I have no idea how this works or doesn't work.

My dealer pretty much said to let them know of issues and someone will respond in 24hrs.

As for the ATVs, nothing got changed. I didn't tinker with anything. It was working, turned off the room. Turn room back on and no longer working.

So basically then, home owner is at the mercy of the dealer of when they get around to any issues that might come up?

6 hours ago, Jedi5 said:

So basically then, home owner is at the mercy of the dealer of when they get around to any issues that might come up?

Yes and No, Yes you are “stuck” with a dealer, but at the same time, if they did a good job you will never need them again unless u need to add/remove something from your setup, and No you can swap them with other dealers who can do a better job.

Control4 if done right is a set-it-and-forget-it system, rarely needs frequent maintenance.

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions and advising me about C4.

As I've mentioned, I'm brand new to C4 so I really didn't know what to expect.

As @Amr mentioned, I really hope this is a "set it and forget it" system.

As for my ATVs, a tech did try to remotely work on the problem last night but couldn't. So they will have to come out and see if they can fix it on site.

Sometimes I get audio, sometimes I don't, and no I only get background noise but no dialogue.

On 8/1/2022 at 5:59 PM, Jedi5 said:

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions and advising me about C4.

As I've mentioned, I'm brand new to C4 so I really didn't know what to expect.

As @Amr mentioned, I really hope this is a "set it and forget it" system.

As for my ATVs, a tech did try to remotely work on the problem last night but couldn't. So they will have to come out and see if they can fix it on site.

Sometimes I get audio, sometimes I don't, and no I only get background noise but no dialogue.

This is a handshake issue between ATV and your TV, really outside the scope of C4 rather a work for you or your dealer, so you could try from the ATV to play with Audio settings and format until you find a settings that works with your TV, could be a flanky HDMI cable or whatever but again ATV’s really suck, try to stream full HDR 10bit 4K movie from Plex and tell me if you are successful! Any $50 Android TV streamer like Xiaomi MiBox will do it immediately, this is just my frustrating experience with the ATV in general!

If you have a small to medium size system with no complications or many 3rd party drivers or any DIY extensions (MQTT, HA, HB, etc) then it is a solid rock and can work for years without any one touch it.

33 minutes ago, Amr said:

This is a handshake issue between ATV and your TV, really outside the scope of C4 rather a work for you or your dealer, so you could try from the ATV to play with Audio settings and format until you find a settings that works with your TV, could be a flanky HDMI cable or whatever but again ATV’s really suck, try to stream full HDR 10bit 4K movie from Plex and tell me if you are successful! Any $50 Android TV streamer like Xiaomi MiBox will do it immediately, this is just my frustrating experience with the ATV in general!

If you have a small to medium size system with no complications or many 3rd party drivers or any DIY extensions (MQTT, HA, HB, etc) then it is a solid rock and can work for years without any one touch it.

Thanks.

ATV is being used because that's the previous owner used and left behind.

Don't know if he was having issues with ATV or not.

My dealer did get back to me and they will be out to see what the problem is.

Thanks again!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.