C4 Forums | Control4

Audio Baluns

Rob21

I'm looking for the best way to send audio from a local streaming player (Roku Ultra) back to the rack. I know of all types of audio baluns and extractors but I wanted to start this thread to see what everyone else is using and recommends. I am looking for a solution that does not introduce any noticeable latency or quality loss. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

58 minutes ago, Rob21 said:

I'm looking for the best way to send audio from a local streaming player (Roku Ultra) back to the rack. I know of all types of audio baluns and extractors but I wanted to start this thread to see what everyone else is using and recommends. I am looking for a solution that does not introduce any noticeable latency or quality loss. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

https://www.blustream.com.au/cat100au

Depends on what type of audio you are looking to extend.  Either way, with a Roku Ultra, you're looking at using 2 devices to complete the job if all you have is CAT wiring.  You'll need a HDMI Audio De-embedder (many types and not all are the same) and then an Audio Extender.

Just now, lippavisual said:

Depends on what type of audio you are looking to extend.  Either way, with a Roku Ultra, you're looking at using 2 devices to complete the job if all you have is CAT wiring.  You'll need a HDMI Audio De-embedder (many types and not all are the same) and then an Audio Extender.

That was my next question. What is everyone using for HDMI audio extractors? Seem’s like another piece that might cause lip sync issues.

This is my go-to.  It includes a DAC as well.

https://www.xantech.com/product/audio-over-cat-cable-built-dac-XT-CAT-ARC-KIT

EDIT:  Actually, Roku Ultra's no longer have optical outs, so if you want to use the kit above, you will need to extract audio from your TV's optical out.  I do this with Samsung and it works fine but YMMV.

Edited by LollerAgent

Thanks for all the help everyone. 

12 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

I usually just run the local sources into a TV, and use the optical out on the TV to the Jtech, over cat5/6 to the rack, and into Triad matrix / amp. 

This seems like the best option for me. Does this method not create any noticeable lip sync delay? I have all Sony TVs, two Samsung Frames, and a triad matrix / amp if it helps.

15 hours ago, Rob21 said:

Thanks for all the help everyone. 

This seems like the best option for me. Does this method not create any noticeable lip sync delay? I have all Sony TVs, two Samsung Frames, and a triad matrix / amp if it helps.

You could also use the analog output of the TV, assuming that it has one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.