C4 Forums | Control4

Purchased Home With Existing Control4 - How To Transfer/Set Up

Danimite

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a home that has Control4 installed. I’ve been looking into how to best transfer the system to me, but am unsure the best approach. 

From looking at past discussions, I’m unsure whether a transfer can be done independently, or if I’d need to contact a dealer. I’d like to do it without the cost of a dealer; however, it seems a dealer may need to register the controller under a new account. 

Is there a best way to go about this? Apologies as this has been asked already - I didn’t quite understand the sequence of steps and am new to Control4, but excited to start using this system.

Thank you! 

Yes the system can be transferred without a dealer, but only if the previous owner is willing to let you use their same Control4 account (they can rename it, change the password, etc).  If they want to use their account in a new home, or if they don't give you the account login for whatever reason, then you'll need to register the system under a new account (which only a dealer can do).  PM me if you need help with this (I'm a dealer and do remote progamming), I've helped several others in your situation (for a fee).

thanks

Ari

@Danimite as a long time user of C4 (not a dealer) I highly recommend you start by engaging one of the remote dealers on this forum to look at your system, ensure it is up to date, and to help you get setup and comfortable with the system. They will also be able to tell you what you have and equally important what you do not have. If your tv or AVR is integrated into C4, than you will need a dealer to configure this part of your system regardless. Having been a C4 user for almost 15 years now, a LOT has changed and improved. I promise it will be worth your time and money. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.