C4 Forums | Control4

Outdoor Wi-Fi switch in metal landscape box

Hi All,

i have 2 metal landscape enclosure boxes outside.  1 in the front and 1 in the rear landscaping. They both have a Wemo switch which connects to my C4. Unfortunately my rear landscaping Wemo switch losses Wi-Fi signal constantly. If I put it in my front enclosure it works just fine. Is there a better switch or one I can mount outside of the metal enclosure so as not to lose signal? I also tried the TP-link switch but same issue. 
Thank you in advance. 

10 hours ago, Nehsmit said:

Hi All,

i have 2 metal landscape enclosure boxes outside.  1 in the front and 1 in the rear landscaping. They both have a Wemo switch which connects to my C4. Unfortunately my rear landscaping Wemo switch losses Wi-Fi signal constantly. If I put it in my front enclosure it works just fine. Is there a better switch or one I can mount outside of the metal enclosure so as not to lose signal? I also tried the TP-link switch but same issue. 
Thank you in advance. 

I have the Wemo - also in my landscape box. One of the them also has a week signal due to distance and/or facing the wrong direction.

I ended up using a Unifi Beacon (wifi repeater).  

Basically I would look to see if you can find an inexpensive way to bring your wifi signal closer to the demo...... repeater/wap outside or in the house but closer to the Wemo to get a better signal.

20 hours ago, Nehsmit said:

Hi All,

Thank you in advance. 

Why Metal? Can’t u put it into plastic outdoor enclosure? Amazon have tons of these and cost peanuts

13 hours ago, Amr said:

Why Metal? Can’t u put it into plastic outdoor enclosure? Amazon have tons of these and cost peanuts

Many transformers for outdoor lighting come in metal enclosures. It's a one piece unit, so changing to plastic isn't really an option.

Inside there's typically a plug (outlet) for the transformer where you would put a timer. in place of the old analog timer you could use a WEMO and instantly connect the outside lights to C4.

1 hour ago, ekohn00 said:

Many transformers for outdoor lighting come in metal enclosures. It's a one piece unit, so changing to plastic isn't really an option.

Inside there's typically a plug (outlet) for the transformer where you would put a timer. in place of the old analog timer you could use a WEMO and instantly connect the outside lights to C4.

I’ve done that but it drops the Wi-Fi signal and I lose connection periodically. It’s very hit or miss. So I’m trying to figure a way to keep a better connection. 

15 hours ago, Amr said:

It's probably one of these:
Kichler 150Watt 15CS150SS Transformer - Terradek Outdoor and Landscape  Lighting

Got to get the dohicky outside the enclosure. Either use a waterproof pigtail by Control4 or Kasa, Use a Control4 outlet, or put a switch before the outlet.

On 9/20/2022 at 10:04 PM, Nehsmit said:

Hi All,

Thank you in advance. 

I upgraded my wifi kasa to zigbee and my issues went away.  The zigbee outdoor module is what I'm using and it sits outside the metal enclosure. 

On 9/22/2022 at 7:55 AM, ekohn00 said:

so I’ve updated to an outdoor Kasa and it works great because it’s outside the box, BUT the C4 integration is not great. C4 turns it on but the icon does not turn in in the C4 app. Also C4 won’t turn it off. Is this a Kasa C4 integration issue?

3 hours ago, Nehsmit said:

so I’ve updated to an outdoor Kasa and it works great because it’s outside the box, BUT the C4 integration is not great. C4 turns it on but the icon does not turn in in the C4 app. Also C4 won’t turn it off. Is this a Kasa C4 integration issue?

As I told you there are some issues with the driver right now 

On 9/24/2022 at 11:57 PM, Nehsmit said:

G'day, You shouldn't be having issues if you're on the current Stable version (the issues I've come across are in the beta). I'll send you a PM to allow remote access so we can take a look. It also depends what driver you're linking to, or could be network related (if you're doing something funny with the network, the UDP traffic might not be working properly). 

Andy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.