C4 Forums | Control4

C4 basic came with the house, want to admin it myself

Hi,

I'm new to all things C4, it came with the place we bought but I'd like to do some basic admin work myself. I did a bit of research a while ago and came across some home admin software that I could buy. 

My controller version is 3.1.3 and it's been off for months. Tablet has been off and in the cupboard for months now but keen to give it another go. Can someone help with the software / license required?

Thanks

I have access to my customer portal and I can renew. I'm happy to do it but only if it's worthwhile. The tablet thing doesn't even connect to the system at the moment, I couldn't add any additional components before I put it all away. I'm curious about re-licensing and using it vs using homeassistant

You don’t need a 4site lic. for use on most of the local system.  It would be helpful if you gave more information on whats all part of your Control4 system, but you will not get any support for Composer Pro here,  just the client based programming support.  HA is a far more capable system but involves much more work/support on the client end. 

15 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

HA is a far more capable system but involves much more work/support on the client end. 

HA is a *different* system.  "Far more capable" unless, of course, you want to do multi-room audio and video.  The go-to for Audio / Video control for HA has traditionally been the Harmony Remote, which is a discontinued and unsupported product.

Not sure I agree with "more capable" even for non-AV cases, but there are certainly things HA can do that Control4 doesn't handle terribly well (graphing, 3rd-party ZWave device support, etc.).  HA's custom UI is HTML-based, which has pros and cons.  The biggest con is you have to design it yourself.

RyanE

6 minutes ago, RyanE said:

HA is a *different* system.  "Far more capable" unless, of course, you want to do multi-room audio and video.  The go-to for Audio / Video control for HA has traditionally been the Harmony Remote, which is a discontinued and unsupported product.

Not sure I agree with "more capable" even for non-AV cases, but there are certainly things HA can do that Control4 doesn't handle terribly well (graphing, 3rd-party ZWave device support, etc.).  HA's custom UI is HTML-based, which has pros and cons.  The biggest con is you have to design it yourself.

RyanE

I don’t really like to do HA even for clients who can handle it… I agree its FAR and not at all a perfect system. Within that understanding you can automate everything us “Pros” can in addition to every random piece of tech you can get your hands on online since there is a huge community of support and driver creation. 

Most people arent wanting or needing traditional audio and video distribution with streaming and wireless audio, or a $500  “universal remote” when were also holding our phones or tablets. 

12 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

I don’t really like to do HA even for clients who can handle it… I agree its FAR and not at all a perfect system. Within that understanding you can automate everything us “Pros” can in addition to every random piece of tech you can get your hands on online since there is a huge community of support and driver creation. 

Most people arent wanting or needing traditional audio and video distribution with streaming and wireless audio, or a $500  “universal remote” when were also holding our phones or tablets. 

There are a *lot* of things people don't *need*, but still like.

Holding my phone, I'll still pick up the remote every time.

I agree on most points, I only point that out because it's a major limitation of HA, if that's important to the homeowner.

RyanE

1 hour ago, AdamTechoSage said:

It’s only lights connected to my Control4 at the moment, I’m looking to manage garage door access, more lighting and get the tablet to re-connect to the system.

I’m not looking for composer pro access, would love to be pointed in the right direction for what I need to configure it though. 

You can’t add anything you can program actions after addition of what you need by a licensed dealer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.