C4 Forums | Control4

OS3.3.1

FEATURES ADDED

• USER INTERFACE
    • Recently Played is a new scrollable list of the cover art for the last 20 audio selections for quick reselect
      • Listen Page will display last 20 from all sources (Recently Played is not supported by Spotify or ShairBridge)
      • Streaming Services pages will only display last 20 from that service
    • Feedback from end-user and Control4 Partners led to a full redesign of the Lights page to make color more intuitive
      • Light icon now changes color to indicate the color of the LED
      • Color wheel, temperature controls, and preset options now easily accessed with a chevron button
    • UI changes to support Halo and Halo Touch include:
      • Beautiful new blue gradient default wallpaper
      • Elements from our new UI design language that features flat and intuitive elements and emphasizes simplicity and elegance
  • COMPOSER PRO
    • Project Tree Hotkeys (CTRL-D, CTRL-R, and CTRL-E) now work for every page in Composer Pro
    • Recently Played Agent: Enable/disable scrollable list of streaming history
    • Daylight Agent (announced, released through Online Database after OS 3.3.1 launch): allows Partners to configure color temperature and brightness values with regard to sunrise/sunset to provide automated circadian lighting
    • Voice Coordinator Agent: Necessary to allow Halo and Halo Touch to function as an Xfinity Voice and Siri Remote

DRIVERS BUILT

• Halo and Halo Touch
  • DMX Light Driver (OS 3.3.0+)
  • Axxess DCM 3-Channel Protocol (OS 3.3.0+)
  • Axxess DCM 4-Channel Protocol (OS 3.3.0+)
  • Axxess DCM 5-Channel Protocol (OS 3.3.0+)
  • Creative Lighting eDIDIO DMX/DALI
  • Z-Wave Light Common Driver
  • Z-Wave Relay Common Driver
  • Z-Wave Sensor Common Driver

ENHANCEMENTS TO MOBILE AND CLOUD

• Faster Remote Connection updates to remote connection servers and Control4 apps decreased remote mobile app connection speeds by up to 60%

PRODUCTS NO LONGER SUPPORTED (EOL)

• USB Installer software does not support OS 3.3.0+, the CA or CORE Controllers
  • C4 HC800 Controller cannot update to 3.3.1. Systems using this controller must stay on OS 3.3.0 or below.
  • All other devices on 3.x can update to 3.3.1
  •  

With the HC800 going EOL, can you keep this in a project as a second controller (just not Director) or can you simply not upgrade at all if you have an HC800 in the project?  I still have one in one residence (acts a glorified IO extender).  My other residence is updated and I planned on having my dealer update the second house tomorrow.  Now I am thinking that may not be possible?

So I will have to my HC800 removed completely or unable to update my system?  Wow... that is pretty lame on part of C4.  I use my HC800 in rack specifically for streaming music to my C4 amps only and nothing else.  This means I have to get rid of a controller I purchased new and buy a new controller that will essentially do nothing different?

2 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

So I will have to my HC800 removed completely or unable to update my system?  Wow... that is pretty lame on part of C4.  I use my HC800 in rack specifically for streaming music to my C4 amps only and nothing else.  This means I have to get rid of a controller I purchased new and buy a new controller that will essentially do nothing different?

The controller was released in 2012. It's end of life. 

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

The controller was released in 2012. It's end of life. 

Still seems like a lame hit to consumer when it's a basic streaming device function and have to buy new controller just to mimic identical function seems like a cash grab.  If I wanted additional functions/speed I would buy a new controller but for what it's being used for there is no reason to buy a new controller.  Now I'm forced to buy a new controller.  Minus 1 point for Control4......

I totally understand having to finally EOL the HC800 from being a primary controller. It's had a very long life.

That said, just like when the HC-250 went EOL, I cant understand (especially with chip shortages) why they couldnt create a way to continue to have the HC800 act as a glorified IO-Extender. Disable Audio/Video and controller functions. Just let it do IO and maybe zigbee (disable that if its too much trouble). Give the option to flash/update the HC800 to become a dumb IO extender.

29 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

Still seems like a lame hit to consumer when it's a basic streaming device function and have to buy new controller just to mimic identical function seems like a cash grab.  If I wanted additional functions/speed I would buy a new controller but for what it's being used for there is no reason to buy a new controller.  Now I'm forced to buy a new controller.  Minus 1 point for Control4......

You still can use it. No one is being forced to upgrade... 

1 hour ago, TXJosh said:

Daylight Agent (announced, released through Online Database after OS 3.3.1 launch): allows Partners to configure color temperature and brightness values with regard to sunrise/sunset to provide automated circadian lighting

I'll be excited to see this and no longer have a mass of programming hit at sunrise/sunset to change default brightness of loads.

Thank you C4 for advancing the hardware and software platforms to enhance the user experience. As I long time user I am happy to see the accelerated pace of change and enhancement these past few years.

And as a long time user, it’s hard for me to appreciate the complaints regarding EOL on the HC800 that was released 10 year ago. I look forward to the 3.3.1 enhancements, while respecting those that chose to remain on 3.3.0 because they do not want to upgrade or remove their HC800!

That said, it would be nice if C4 could provide sufficient advanced notice on device EOL so impact users have time to upgrade hardware should they chose.

37 minutes ago, therockhr said:

That said, just like when the HC-250 went EOL, I cant understand (especially with chip shortages) why they couldnt create a way to continue to have the HC800 act as a glorified IO-Extender. Disable Audio/Video and controller functions. Just let it do IO and maybe zigbee (disable that if its too much trouble). Give the option to flash/update the HC800 to become a dumb IO extender.

So much easier said then done. And even if possible, would likely extend the release of new software features by months if not longer. And much cheaper to upgrade your hardware than pay for the cost of code to dumb down the hardware.

35 minutes ago, therockhr said:

just like when the HC-250 went EOL, I cant understand (especially with chip shortages) why they couldnt create a way to continue to have the HC800 act as a glorified IO-Extender.

Continued development, testing and support across software updates, security certificate expiration, new security requirements...not to mention that it's the last of the pre android controllers.... There's plenty of reasons to stop supporting a device that's 10 years old and has not been sold in 6 years.

I understand it's never fun to have to replace devices (I've had to replace controllers and touchscreens myself ... dating back to the MC and HTS controllers, LED screen keypads and mini touch screens) to stay up to date - but you're not forced to stay up to date.

12 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

You still can use it. No one is being forced to upgrade... 

So for $1000 I can replace my HC800 to have multiple audio out with the EA3 with no change in function.... and no more upgrades to every other component in my system (>60 lights).  

So next up when C4 decides to "upgrade" perhaps the light switches and dimmers I have, it won't allow my system to upgrade either so new switches and dimmers will be needed to provide the same function.  Seems like a scam Control4 would pull..

12 minutes ago, C4 User said:

Thank you C4 for advancing the hardware and software platforms to enhance the user experience. As I long time user I am happy to see the accelerated pace of change and enhancement these past few years.

And as a long time user, it’s hard for me to appreciate the complaints regarding EOL on the HC800 that was released 10 year ago. I look forward to the 3.3.1 enhancements, while respecting those that chose to remain on 3.3.0 because they do not want to upgrade or remove their HC800!

That said, it would be nice if C4 could provide sufficient advanced notice on device EOL so impact users have time to upgrade hardware should they chose.

Why would I change out something that works perfectly fine for the function it's being used for now?  Simple audio outputs doesn't seem like a reason to ditch an entire controller.  Perhaps just disallowing certain functionality I can understand but basic control of audio out?

2 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

So for $1000 I can replace my HC800 to have multiple audio out with the EA3 with no change in function.... and no more upgrades to every other component in my system (>60 lights).  

So next up when C4 decides to "upgrade" perhaps the light switches and dimmers I have, it won't allow my system to upgrade either so new switches and dimmers will be needed to provide the same function.  Seems like a scam Control4 would pull..

Except it doesn’t.  They have NEVER done that before and made lights not upgradable.  You are using emotion not fact in that argument.  They HAVE and will continue to EOL controllers.  Controllers vs switches/dimmers are very different.

Just now, drmark12pa said:

Why would I change out something that works perfectly fine for the function it's being used for now?  Simple audio outputs doesn't seem like a reason to ditch an entire controller.  Perhaps just disallowing certain functionality I can understand but basic control of audio out?

Then don’t upgrade…the hardware doesn’t work perfectly fine for OS 3.3.1…

8 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

?

Nothing stops working if you don't update right the day of release - why would they have to announce it?

I waited almost a year for T4’s to replace my T3’s and the same for new locks. If a device is nearing hardware EOL I would like sufficient notice so that I do not have to wait a year to take advantage of new features.

7 minutes ago, Baubas Cat said:

If upgrading from an HC-800, is it worth getting the newer CORE or is the EA just as good?

I would recommend CORE.  At this point you have to expect that EA will have a shorter lifespan.  There is also difference in Z-wave support between the EA and core.  If you want to do Zwave you 100% want CORE

48 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Continued development, testing and support across software updates, security certificate expiration, new security requirements...not to mention that it's the last of the pre android controllers.... There's plenty of reasons to stop supporting a device that's 10 years old and has not been sold in 6 years.

Those things would be valid reasons if not for the existence and continued support of the IO Extender. I am guessing that controller has a similar architecture as the HC800 and was also pre android.

it just seems to me to be a way to help dealers/end users by being able to upgrade a customer that might not want to upgrade to a CORE 5 just to get the number of IO they need. A dealer could upgrade them to a CORE 1 or CORE 3 instead and not have to redo any wiring or connections.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.