C4 Forums | Control4

Network issue inexplicably rearing its ugly head again :-(

Reference:  

So here's the timeline of outages since yanking those Nest Hubs out of my system; prior to removing the Nest Hubs, the outages were pretty much a daily, constant occurrence and many times multiple outages in a single day

March 26 removed Nest Hubs

April 12

April 26

May 1

May 14

May 15

May 16

May 30

June 13

Sept 22 x2

Sept 25

Sept 29

Oct 2 x5

So, other than the anomaly in mid-May, the outages dropped to maybe once every couple of weeks and then slowly decreased and, as you can see, from mid-June to late Sept had completely gone away

It all started up again a little more than a week ago. As far as I can tell, I didn't add anything new to the network except for upgrading my wife and kids' iPhones, but that was on Sept 10th and the outages didn't start until the 22nd

No other new hardware other than the iPhones

Yesterday was the worst day so far with multiple outages for which cable modem reboots worked to get the network back up except for last night where I had to reboot the modem and networking hardware multiple times before it came back up

One thing I just happened to notice was a notification from the Screens/Screens Connect app I use on my Mac to remote in to it from time to time - there was an exclamation mark in its menubar icon that basically said that there was a 'double NAT issue' and referred me to this link:

https://help.edovia.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009645247

I haven't noticed this before but I haven't usually been on my Mac when troubleshooting the outages - I'm usually using the xfinity app on my phone to reboot the modem and/or the OvrC app to reboot the networking hardware or I'm manually rebooting (ie, unplugging/plugging), so I don't know if this double NAT notification always comes up when the outages occur, I'll have to check the next time there is an outage

I did some research and ran a 'traceroute 8.8.8.8' command from my Mac's Terminal app and, as far as I can tell, the first hop is a private IP address and the second hop was a public which, if I understand correctly, is the way it's supposed to be (however, I did this once I was able to get the network back up and that double NAT notification was gone, so not sure if that's a valid test)

Anyway, any thoughts on this double NAT issue? Again, my understanding is that this means that there is some device on my network that is acting as a router and that is causing a conflict with my actual router

I can't, for the life of me, figure out what device this could be if this is, in fact, the cause of the current issue

My cable modem is a modem only, it has no routing capability and, again, no new hardware has been recently added

Every time these outages have been occurring since last week, I've also been checking with Comcast/Xfinity (as well as actually looking at my modem) and it doesn't seem to be an issue from their end

Could there be a software issue that can cause a double NAT situation? Like some kind of software that can serve routing functions causing the conflict? I'm just grasping for straws at this point....

Just now, msgreenf said:

Nothing changed is not reality…Sonos updates all the time for example and many things on your network self updated.  I think what you mean is, you changed nothing…

Yeah I was going to echo that same sentiment...things are constantly changing behind the scenes.

Yeah, I had gone through all the Sonos troubleshooting last time around, confirmed all wifi, etc. so at least *I* haven't changed any of that setup

Point taken about behind the scenes updates, etc. occurring and things getting changed without my knowledge

honestly ive seen this soo many times with araknis 310 routers, without the perfect fix. Settings you have to check of course is STP settings in your core switch, and make sure your core switch has the lowest ip address of all your devices. next would be to static address your dns in the router in 2 places. the main system settings and then in where you set your dhcp pool, this way it forces all devices to use the static address and not the router address. since its xfinity i would try 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76, that has worked for us. before doing these settings i would get calls that all wired deices have internet, but wifi devices say connected without internet. A reboot of the router would always fix it, but thats just a bandaid. since doing those settings i have not had calls from those clients.

Ongoing outage - I think that double NAT was a red herring as I’m not getting that message during this outage

Ran a traceroute 8.8.8.8 from Terminal and, though very slow to run, it’s giving me a private IP address as the first hop and then public as the second hop, so I think that confirms it’s not a double NAT problem

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.