C4 Forums | Control4

Time-of-day based dimming / Excluding certain lights from scenes that they belong to

Objective:  Have lights ramp up to "normal" brightness in the early morning and dim down again after sunset.

Approach:  Set up a few Advanced Lighting Scenes that are triggered by Schedule agent events based on sunrise/sunset offset time.  So maybe 0-10% at sunrise, 10-25% 30 mins later, etc.

Issue: if a light has been specifically turned OFF at some point (but it is included in the next scene), I want to leave it off.   I'm hoping for something like "if light is currently OFF, exclude it from this scene."

Or maybe I'm going about this all wrong.

Thoughts/Advice?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, cnicholson said:

I'm hoping for something like "if light is currently OFF, exclude it from this scene

There is no programmatic control over scene/scene settings I'm afraid.

If you want that level of detailed control, you'd have to directly program the lights, vs using scenes (or at least the lights you want that control over).

So you programming would be something like

WHEN 30 minutes after sunset schedule happens
Activate scene {Bulk exterior 30m after sunset scene}
IF liight x is on {note the use of on here, so if it's off, the programming won't trigger and turn it back on)
	set level light x to xx%
IF light y is on.....

Create a lighting scene with the lights you want to have go on in the morning with them all at 0%/off. Then create a lighting scene w ramp rates that you want to execute.  For light turning off I would create a variable that resets every day at the scheduled up and down time. Then if x or y or z light is turned off set variable to off. Look like this. 

If time is sunrise + 15 and Lighting Scene Sunset Go is active (lighting scene is 'active' when all parameters of that scene are met in this case all off that you want to ramp on).
    If Sunrise Variable True
    -> Execute lighting scene sunrise
    If Sunrise Variable False
    -> Set Sunrise Variable True

During the day when a light is turned off you don't want it to turn on again you would program 

When x light turns off
   If sunrise variable is true
   -> Set sunrise variable false

Do same thing for sunset but probably don't need the extra scene. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.