C4 Forums | Control4

HC800 replacement decision criteria

istreich

With the release of 3.3.1, the question of replacing an older HC800 is becoming more timely. 
Can someone simply articulate what both an EA5 and a Core 5 would add (or lose) vs current HC800 (beyond of course the ability to upgrade SW to 3.3.1 and later). 
In this specific case, I also have an IO extender and a Control4 audio matrix switch. 
I understand that Core is more recent and will give you more years… and let’s not reopen the can of worms on EOL or Control4 business model…

Just trying to make an educated and pragmatic decision on the need to replace working HC800 and options to do so (with ideally some indications of price range). 
Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, istreich said:

With the release of 3.3.1, the question of replacing an older HC800 is becoming more timely. 
Can someone simply articulate what both an EA5 and a Core 5 would add (or lose) vs current HC800 (beyond of course the ability to upgrade SW to 3.3.1 and later). 
In this specific case, I also have an IO extender and a Control4 audio matrix switch. 
I understand that Core is more recent and will give you more years… and let’s not reopen the can of worms on EOL or Control4 business model…

Just trying to make an educated and pragmatic decision on the need to replace working HC800 and options to do so (with ideally some indications of price range). 
Thanks in advance!

With an EA5 or a Core 5 you can upgrade to 3.3.1 and beyond and get OSD.  I believe that is what you get by ditching the HC800

So then the question becomes get a used EA5 or a new Core 5 (doubt you’ll find a used Core 5).  It comes down to price - someone can give MSRP on the Core 5 and then its shopping here or eBay for an EA5 and its a financial decision.  You’ll get more years out of the Core 5 before it goes EOL compared to the EA5. In the past C4 has supported controllers for close to 10 years.  The v1 EA5 came out in 2016.  So it is already “long in the tooth” though I think around 2019 they came out with a v2 (a few changes under the hood).  If C4 keeps up with 10 years of support (again its a guess, just based on previous support), will the clock start around 2016 or 2019?  Your guess is as good as anyones.

In addition, Core 5 also has more audio outputs with better audio quality than the ea5, built in zwave radio and will be supporting all z-wave plus enabled devices.  Oh and a newer faster processor. I would also expect that future enhancements may only be supported when running a core series controller. 

14 hours ago, Andrew luecke said:

The Core Series does support H265 with OSD though and higher res though for CCTV. 

Also, HC800 won't support the Halo . 

C4 is also moving along so fast with development, I wouldn't be surprised if within 6 months, that the latest C4 OS adds other massive features which will never be available on HC800. 

To be honest the reason I did not upgrade to EA controller was no 4k Video from CCTV. 

In no rush for a new remote so will hang on until we get Geo fencing and 4k Video 

3.3 is pretty stable and the Colour Wheel was great add on. 

Just a guess, will the EA Controllers be EOL next year - Now the Core has newer faster processor and the new features will be designed for the CORE 

The decision comes down so much on how you have your system designed. If you are using the C4 controllers for the built in audio, IO and the on screen display then you will definitely want the CORE5. The built in audio is definitely the biggest thing to consider.

if you don’t use the built in audio, use something like Lutron for lighting and don’t care about the OSD, you would be surprised how much just an EA1 could do.

Also if you don’t want to buy used then you for sure should just buy a core.

55 minutes ago, therockhr said:

The decision comes down so much on how you have your system designed. If you are using the C4 controllers for the built in audio, IO and the on screen display then you will definitely want the CORE5. The built in audio is definitely the biggest thing to consider.

if you don’t use the built in audio, use something like Lutron for lighting and don’t care about the OSD, you would be surprised how much just an EA1 could do.

Also if you don’t want to buy used then you for sure should just buy a core.

This is a useful summary!

Thanks everyone. Super useful. 

Is there somewhere a side-by-side comparison between Core 3 and Core 5. 

I am using Lutron Ra2 for lighting (integrated with Control4) and don't care about OSD. However, I use Control4 native audio (Deezer, Spotify, Pandora) and have a number of integrations such as alarm, cameras (via Blue Iris), TV controls (IP),... 

My HC800 has been working great until now and I am still debating between used EA5 v2,  and new Core 3 and Core 5. Feedback on differences between EA5 and Core 5 has been very helpful. Adding EA3 in loop would be very useful. 

Thanks again.

I would not upgrade my HC800 to an EA series controller at this point. I still have a HC800 running 3.2.4 and it's great. The processor in the HC800 is a work horse.  I would be tempted to upgrade to a Core 3/5 in the future though, once new remotes drop and new features are added. jm2c! 

31 minutes ago, istreich said:

Thanks everyone. Super useful. 

Is there somewhere a side-by-side comparison between Core 3 and Core 5. 

I am using Lutron Ra2 for lighting (integrated with Control4) and don't care about OSD. However, I use Control4 native audio (Deezer, Spotify, Pandora) and have a number of integrations such as alarm, cameras (via Blue Iris), TV controls (IP),... 

My HC800 has been working great until now and I am still debating between used EA5 v2,  and new Core 3 and Core 5. Feedback on differences between EA5 and Core 5 has been very helpful. Adding EA3 in loop would be very useful. 

Thanks again.

How many streams of audio do you need? That will be the deciding factor. 

1 hour ago, istreich said:

Never used more than one in past few years… 

Is there a way to see how « taxed » performance wise my HC800 is to evaluate how much horsepower I need with new controller?

If you only need 1 stream of audio and your audio matrix supports an input of digital coax then you could just use a CORE1. Also depends on how many IO you need. There is no difference between the CORE 1 and 3 in terms of processing power. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.