C4 Forums | Control4

Digital Audio stopped working

I have a EA5, hooked into a control 4 audio switch, which then goes to an amp/speakers. 

A few weeks ago I was not able to play music through my house on the speakers. I fiddled around composer and all the wiring and I did something that finally got it working. The last thing I did was disconnect and connect the audio out in the ea5/audio switchconnections in composer. Not sure if that's what did it as the hardwired audio in/out isn't what was wrong. 

Anyways, fast forward a week and it's not working again. This time nothing I've done has got it working. Here are the symptoms:

• hardwired in's and out's work. (so I have a TV that plugs INTO the ea5 and then goes out of the ea5 into the audio switch
  • All the digital inputs is what doesn't work (pandora,spotify, nsa, etc..)
  • The EA5 red light that signifies audio is going out DOES light up.
  • pushing a "Test" audio through composer EA5 settings page for "stereo audio out 1" does result in audio in the rooms
  • There is some very light crackling you can hear through the speakers when nothing is on, that I'm pretty positive we never heard before. It's the type of crackling that sometimes happens when a speaker is on but isn't getting an input. This is happening when everything sound wise is OFF though and I'm pretty positive it didn't happen before. However I have no idea if this is completely unrelated!

Here is what I've tried

• Power cycling everything
  • Disconnecting and connecting all the physical wires
  • disconnecting and connecting all the "connections" in composer for the different digital inputs (pandora,spotify, nsa,etc) and ea5.
  • Ensuring both have an IP both showing in composer and in my router

What gives? Any other suggestions?

Also, how does the digital inputs/outputs get connected to the audio switch? I dont see anywhere I can make a connection in the "connections" tab, so I assume it's just a smart connection through the network and I don't have to set anything up as long as both are recognized (they are). Or do I?

i would make sure your digital outs of the ea5 is connected to the digital in of your matrix then in composer make sure the binding is correct and delete the other audio connection is composer, refresh navs, try to to play music, if it works good finish the rest of your connections, if not, try to plug the ea5 digital to another device like an avr and play music, if it works, that tells you there is  a bad audio switch, if it doesnt work then you have a bad ea5. ive seen a few go bad. then in composer disconnect all digital connections and just use analog outs until you figure out if your going to replace the ea5.

3 hours ago, tekki70 said:

i would make sure your digital outs of the ea5 is connected to the digital in of your matrix then in composer make sure the binding is correct and delete the other audio connection is composer, refresh navs, try to to play music, if it works good finish the rest of your connections, if not, try to plug the ea5 digital to another device like an avr and play music, if it works, that tells you there is  a bad audio switch, if it doesnt work then you have a bad ea5. ive seen a few go bad. then in composer disconnect all digital connections and just use analog outs until you figure out if your going to replace the ea5.

I have never had a physical connection between my digital out at EA5 and a general IN on the switch (their is no specifically digital in) . I assume it's all done through the network.

23 hours ago, lippavisual said:

EA5 does not pass audio out through the network.  It's a physical connection, ie: HDMI, toslink or stereo rca.

I see that now. Its passing it through the regular output I have connected. How come I don't see the "connection" anywhere in composer though? All the digital media connections are basically circular and nothing is "connected" to my ea5 output (other than audio switch input). Does the system just choose any available output? All available?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.