C4 Forums | Control4

Tidal logon issues

iza34

Not a free upgrade if I have to buy a new controller to support it 👎

4 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

You do realize that since Windows 7 you've been able to update for free as well right? Provided the hardware supports it. Same as MacOS.

And be it Microsoft or Apple's OS - you wouldn't expect either one to keep support up to run current programs (sorry ... apps) on the old (not updated) software.

Something got changed on Tidal's end (as nothing got changed on Control4's end) - Control4 is looking into what it is, and if it could possibly be fixed for those unwilling to replace hardware to get current OS.

Can it be (reasonably) be fixed? No clue at this point. Maybe wait until more is known before going for the 'they're doing it to force us to upgrade' card?

2 minutes ago, Empire76 said:

Not a free upgrade if I have to buy a new controller to support it 👎

Any more than MacOS not being able to upgrade on hardware further back than about 7 years (your HC250 is 9 years old, or if it's your touchsceens, we're talking about 11 year old hardware) - you keep throwing up a complaint about something, comparing it with something that is NO BETTER - and you don't even know IF you need to upgrade.

9 minutes ago, Empire76 said:

Says the c4 dealer...

Point being?

Look, feel free to cry about spilled milk - but at least be honest about what you're complaining about: Your 'complaints' are towards the wrong party (Control4 when Tidal is causing it), about something that hasn't happened yet (Needing to upgrade Control4 hardware to keep using Tidal which is not yet clear), which is something that wouldn't be all that strange if it did happen (as one way or another, the hardware that is stopping you is 9+ years old tech), and you're holding up something else (Apple) as if it's an argument for your case when it's in fact an argument against it (as their support life is shorter than Control4's).

🤷‍♂️

One argument I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned, is that Apple removed Youtube from their Apple TV's at one point too with a software upgrade.

They also intentionally removed Rosetta support approximately only 3 years after the Intel transition was complete, depreciated OpenGL, won't support Vulkan (to force people to use Metal), etc. IOS Support? Pretty much 3 years ONLY of iPads..

And the new ARM transition will likely be rushed through (like the Intel one).. Expect Apple to depreciate intel support in 2-3 years ago.  

I've seen very little evidence of Control4 doing similarly hostile things.. Sorry (in fact, they actually do so much behind the scenes which I know I didn't even recognise when I did installs).. We regularly come across people who are still using systems from 10-15 years ago and Control4 have done very little to break those old systems either. 

Fairly sure the music services actually use compiled code to operate, so, unfortunately might not be a quick fix regardless (ie, not a few lines of code in a lua driver, but rather, tidal probably broke the fundamental way it communicates).

Even a small fix though, Snap would likely need to test extensively inhouse too though. Snap will update the issue as more information comes, but nothing has changed so far. 

If it requires entirely new firmware though because Tidal changed something on their server which legacy Control4 OS versions doesn't support, I couldn't see that happening at all unless Tidal adds support for it again (especially if its something fundamental like encryption which isn't supported by that OS).

As an alternative you can easily move your music collection from Tidal to other services using: https://www.tunemymusic.com/ (i used it to switch from Spotify to Deezer, but at the same time, copied my collection to everything)

Hey Everyone!  Control4 has fixed this issue and will be auto pushing an update to all OS 2 based systems that have the tidal driver to update it to v161 which fixes oauth changes that tidal made.

Once you have the updated driver you will have to login to tidal again but it should be all good after that.

Your dealer should be able to update you sooner if you rather not wait.

12 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Hey Everyone!  Control4 has fixed this issue and will be auto pushing an update to all OS 2 based systems that have the tidal driver to update it to v161 which fixes oauth changes that tidal made.

Once you have the updated driver you will have to login to tidal again but it should be all good after that.

Your dealer should be able to update you sooner if you rather not wait.

Thank you, how will we know when it has been pushed to our system? I don't know how to check what my driver version is.

57 minutes ago, Empire76 said:

Thank you, how will we know when it has been pushed to our system? I don't know how to check what my driver version is.

Easiest way is to wait till Saturday and try to log back into tidal. If you can login it's fixed. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.