C4 Forums | Control4

Ghost in the machine

Olichops

This AM the zone in the living room spontaneously started playing loud music. Is there a log to see how this happened and if it was from an external source? I went to the Control4 website and checked on all the devices and they are all mine.  I also cut dealer access to the system. How would I change the password to my account as I don't see that option online?

There's no easy access to logs that will clearly show the 'trigger'.

Most common reasons for 'weird turning on zones' are:

-Sleep/Awake being active without knowing

-Mockupancy driver being running when not wanted

-HDMI CEC control being on on TV's/Receivers/Sources (Note that it's not uncommon to have it off on a TV or receiver but not on a source and it still randomly triggering - or the other way around)

Change password can be done in customer.control4.com under 'My Account' then 'My Profile' for the main account log in, under 'User and Devices' for all other users.

17 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I have had something similar happen that I think was related to Spotify Connect all of a sudden starting to play to a room that was previously active.

My PC does something similar when I put my dual-homing BlueTooth earpieces into their charger.  Occasionally, even though I was listening to media on my phone, when I put them in the charger, it starts a YouTube video playing on my (also connected via BT to the earpieces) PC...

Ghosts in the machine...

RyanE

41 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I have had something similar happen that I think was related to Spotify Connect all of a sudden starting to play to a room that was previously active.

Ah yes, that reminds me, another common one is auto room on drivers for airplay/spotify where one unintentionally starts playing on a phone etc.

22 hours ago, zaphod said:

I’m having the exact same problem with Spotify Connect randomly playing. There’s only 1 room in the house where we use Spotify, to play a bedtime playlist for the kid. At random times during the past month or two, Spotify will randomly start playing in that room. Strangely, it’s not the bedtime playlist, but rather a different shared playlist on that account.

It’s definitely a Control4 or Spotify bug, because no one in our family uses Spotify. None of us even have the app installed.

For me, it’s definitely not unpausing because I’m positive there were no active media sessions in any zone. We typically listen to Pandora and have not experienced the problem with it. It’s only been with Spotify in the one zone that uses only Spotify. 

Anyone that ever used the Spotify connect at your home can play at anytime that as a source. This could be a tech accidentally choosing your house, a previous Airbnb res, you/family or even josh or something like that.  

Try removing Spotify connects and re adding them.  This will unlink any previous phones. 

I had this happen on my twice on Saturday.  Played music in C4 via Spotify on my phone via selecting the "Device" that is a C4 autoplay room.  I shut the room off later on and then somehow it came back on.  I shut it off again.  About an hour later it turned back on once again.

This has happened to me a few times recently, but never happened before.  I haven't changed anything in C4 recently so I am wondering if this is weirdness from the Spotify app on my iPhone.

On 10/29/2022 at 10:59 AM, WhyPhy said:

I’m having the exact same problem with Spotify Connect randomly playing. There’s only 1 room in the house where we use Spotify, to play a bedtime playlist for the kid. At random times during the past month or two, Spotify will randomly start playing in that room. Strangely, it’s not the bedtime playlist, but rather a different shared playlist on that account.

It’s definitely a Control4 or Spotify bug, because no one in our family uses Spotify. None of us even have the app installed.

I had a Heos project in a condo that would randomly play. always late at night. In my system off(and sleep) macro I set the volume to zero before turn off the rooms. that was in 2019 and I dont trust to change the programming.. It works

3 minutes ago, c4toys said:

I had a Heos project in a condo that would randomly play. always late at night. In my system off(and sleep) macro I set the volume to zero before turn off the rooms. that was in 2019 and I dont trust to change the programming.. It works

That’s a good workaround. Thanks for sharing. 

It’s frustrating that there is no way to capture the cause of the issue to permanent fix. 

• 1 month later...

I just posted a reply to a similar/related topic, at 

In my case, it started happening only after I upgraded from OS2 to OS3 (w controller and tablet updates). Previously I could just pause a Spotify session from any device. After the update, the session would magically unpause itself later (first time when we were all fast asleep). My workaround has been to (try to) remember to End Session within C4, after which it hasn't happened again.

Still a pain as it's then a bunch more effort to restart the same playlist, which is usually what I want to restart the next morning, etc., versus just Unpausing, which used to work 100% of time for me in OS2.

So I believe it has to be C4 related, as Spotify itself and usage identical in both cases.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.