C4 Forums | Control4

Unifi / Ubiquiti Control 4 Issues. I am ready to just give up and feel defeated.......

I been having issues that nobody seems to be able to fix and I am defeated and just ready to give up.... Everything is documented here and I would be forever grateful if someone can help. I am out of ideas and just can't believe this is the way it is.... This has caused such havoc for my family as we constanlty have no lights and has been going on for months and I am ready to rip everything out.... https://community.ui.com/questions/UNIFI-6-PRO-Problems-Feeling-defeated/621db376-d54c-465a-8856-9e3b8f88d801 Hoping someone here can help.

1 hour ago, Jbbrenner90 said:

I been having issues that nobody seems to be able to fix and I am defeated and just ready to give up.... Everything is documented here and I would be forever grateful if someone can help. I am out of ideas and just can't believe this is the way it is.... This has caused such havoc for my family as we constanlty have no lights and has been going on for months and I am ready to rip everything out.... https://community.ui.com/questions/UNIFI-6-PRO-Problems-Feeling-defeated/621db376-d54c-465a-8856-9e3b8f88d801 Hoping someone here can help.

Do port overrides for the ports going to the controllers, panelised lighting modules, touchscreens, and intercom (any C4 branded equipment). turn off STP on those ports and totally reboot network. Try that (its almost certainly the case if you're using STP instead of RSTP)..   

10 minutes ago, Andrew luecke said:

Do port overrides for the ports going to the controllers, panelised lighting modules, touchscreens, and intercom (any C4 branded equipment). turn off STP on those ports and totally reboot network. Try that (its almost certainly the case if you're using STP instead of RSTP)..   

using RSTP at the control level. I have priroties set on switches with RTSP is that what you mean?

3 hours ago, Jbbrenner90 said:

using RSTP at the control level. I have priroties set on switches with RTSP is that what you mean?

3 hours ago, Andrew luecke said:

i think you mean this @Andrew lueckeon the ports themselves here? Does this matter if you use RSTP in the global settings?531503204_CleanShot2022-10-28at20_00.21@2x.thumb.png.873e95cb305cb09aaffe9c206629f2df.png

7 hours ago, Jbbrenner90 said:

I have Ubiquiti working fine for 9 years now with C4, not a single issue!

You have a setup/configuration issue and for sure your network suffers from a broadcast storm, u need professional help, I would decrease the number of AP’s and turn on roaming for a seamless network coverage, the less AP’s the better and faster network performance!

Also put your 2.4GHz back to 20MHz and 5GHz back to 40/80MHz don’t use this 160MHz!

14 hours ago, Jbbrenner90 said:

I like unifi a lot and have a fairly large home network with lots of APs inside the house and a few outside. Also running with C4 and it's been stable.

Here's where i think everyone gets into trouble -> they either try and feel the need for VLANs or the large frequencies blocks for APs in order to get  higher data rates. All good to have, but trouble shooting become a bitch, as in your case.

If it was me, i would backup the configs, and scale down. First get all the APs in the basic RF defaults, as @amr pointed out 2.4@20/40 and 5@40. still problematic, don't use mesh. Use default settings, even auto to start on the APs. Doping a factory reset on the AP can help a lot, but again after putting them back into the system only use defaults to start. Still problematic, remove a few APs...just keep calling back till the problem goes away and determine which part made it go away.

I don't think anyone asked if your laptops and phones still work? Is it only the lights?

4 hours ago, Teehan said:

I almost went down this same path and was advised against it by my dealer.  Seems like all a weird play to get you to buy SnapAV networking equipment.  Good luck!

You can definitely use control4 fine with unifi. The only limitations are when you use vlans (which very few people need, and even the issue caused by that is easily worked around).

The only other issue is that SnapAV can't provide direct support for unifi, and imho they shouldn't (because ubiquiti doesn't offer a proper support channel).So, it will always be easier for those who are inexperienced to use araknis, pakedge or access networks which Snap can provide direct support for

How big is the house where you need 9 ap’s?

Unifi and c4 work very well together and the ONLY time I’ve seen or heard of people having problems(outside of network loops) is when they try to “get fancy” with their network settings 

The fact that 160mhz was even tried makes me question the knowledge level the op has but I also admire the patience & tenacity to get it working right

My advice would be to call in an expert if you value your time and sanity 

And yes… Araknis I feel is overpriced for what it is

yeh that was me trying to get more speed :D. I have since then backed it down to 80mhz. Our house is 3700 sqft total with 1000sqft garage as well.  We have one in garage, 3 Upstairs 1900 sqft and 3 downstairs 1800sqft. Then we have 2 outside in backyard. Most are turned to low and some custom DBM 10 for example. 

8 minutes ago, Jbbrenner90 said:

yeh that was me trying to get more speed :D. I have since then backed it down to 80mhz. Our house is 3700 sqft total with 1000sqft garage as well.  We have one in garage, 3 Upstairs 1900 sqft and 3 downstairs 1800sqft. Then we have 2 outside in backyard. Most are turned to low and some custom DBM 10 for example. 

I have a bigger house, all concrete not wood/drywall and it’s perfectly covered with 3 Gen 5 LR AP’s!  More tweaking not necessarily will bring in more speed, UniFi is tricky, moderate power will for sure have a +ve effect than max power, u need to incrementally work it out!

9 hours ago, Jbbrenner90 said:

Yeh i realized that pretty quickly. Next i will dial them back to 40mhz if it continues.

You could make trouble shooting a little easier. I know nothing about the C4 panelized lighting (ie is the wifi, from the panel to AE or switches), but suggest you just set up 1 AP (uses a test SSID to separate) to do the wifi for a room or small section of your lighting. In the Unifi management you can see what devices are connected to the AP and confirm the test bed. If it works for 1, hopefully it will work across the house. This doesn't fix problems with overlapping RF from other APs, but hopefully you can "tune" your sizes. Heck you can even shut off 5Ghz for testing...

Hmm. Assuming no crazy setup, wifi as such shouldn't affect things, but I'm wondering.....is there any chance some of the ubqt APs are wired BUT do they have wireless uplink enabled? I've seen that create 'soft' network loops which causes all sorts of crazy behaviour....

I have a large unifi stack with C4 throughout the house working almost flawlessly for 10 years with the exception of a similar issue that popped up a few years back due a packet storm from my Sonos.  Two Sonos controllers were plugged in via ethernet to different switches in different parts of the house... When I finally figured it out I just disconnected one of the controllers from the switch and everything worked again.  It was hard to track down as I think the unifi controller would shut off one of the sonos ports on the switch when it caused packet storm so it would come and go.  When it acted up I would loose control of the lights and tv etc. Wife would go nuts..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.