C4 Forums | Control4

Axxess Contact Sensors issues

So I have 5 Axxess contact sensors in my project, 1 indoors (Actually in a wine fridge for temp and door opening/closing notifications) and 4 outdoors on a fence gates for open/close detection.

I had a power failure at my house on Thursday and I noticed on Saturday when my electrician came to fix my generator that failed in the outage that I was not getting fence notifications when the gates would open.  I am not sure if we stopped getting notices before or after Thursday so I cannot say 100% they are tied together (power outage and no more alerts).   I've tried to go to my events log and filter by these sensors but they are not available in the list so I do not really know when I stopped getting alerts and check ins from them.

The 4 sensors are all showing offline.  Now before someone says Axxess sensors arent rated for outdoors I know but I've done some sealing to them and I live in NJ and it hasn't been too cold, no snow, and it has rained enough since I installed them (June of this year) that it seems odd that all 4 "broke" at the same time.  I could see if 1 of the 4 weren't sealed properly and took on some water, or it was negative degrees and they all froze, but that really isn't the case.

I have a EA5 running my project but these are on a ZAP hosted by an EA1.  I've rebooted both controllers, no luck.  

I could take them off the fence and re-ID 1 by 1 but that won't be super fun or easy.  Any other ideas or suggestions or just a root cause of the potential problem?

These are battery operated, right? Have you tried pulling the battery on one and reinstalling?

We have three of these in our garage and occasionally one goes in the fritz. Pulling the battery and reinserting fixes it. Note I have Programming set on the Offline event for each sensor that notifies me when it goes offline. You might want to add the same. 

1 hour ago, cjh said:

These are battery operated, right? Have you tried pulling the battery on one and reinstalling?

We have three of these in our garage and occasionally one goes in the fritz. Pulling the battery and reinserting fixes it. Note I have Programming set on the Offline event for each sensor that notifies me when it goes offline. You might want to add the same. 

Thanks

Funny enough I thought I put offline programming in but I'll have to go back and check.

At any point did all 3 go on the fritz at the same moment?  To me that is odd, with 4 devices sure I can see one falling offline.   its electronics and stuff happens.  but for all 4 to go down at once I wanted to know if there was more I needed to look at.  Getting these on/off the fence posts require a lot of tape and as its getting a bit colder in my area, its not super easy!

17 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Are these sensors in the same area? Is there any other device offline (as in a light switch that may be the only feasible hop for them to use?

nothing seems to be down.  As far as "near" each other, eh 3 of them are kinda close (2 are on a double door gate and a 3rd is on a single gate maybe within 20-25' of the double gate) but the 4th one is on the opposite side of the yard at another gate entrance so that is 100+ feet away.  I do not have any Zigbee devices outside from C4, so the hops are happening off devices from inside my house and nothing appears down but I'll triple check.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.