C4 Forums | Control4

Core1 / EA-1 as additional audio source/path?

cnicholson

I have a large project with lots of TVs in rooms with speakers in the ceilings.  I have a Core5 as main controller.  I will have some number of Core1s at some (but not all)  TV locations.  In thinking through some edge cases in terms of concurrent streams, I think I could run out of Core5 output ports to the audio matrix.  For example, several different rooms wanting a digital media source or a Shairplay stream playing music from their phones only in their room.

It occurred to me that all the TVs have audio backhaul to the audio matrix and that the Core1 is an input to the TV.

Is this a way to expand my maximum concurrent streams?   It seems that a valid audio path for a (for example) Pandora stream could be:

Inside Core1-->TV-->Bachhaul-->Matrix Input-->Matrix Output(s)-->Amp-->Speaker(s)

Same thing for a ShairPlay stream.  Core5 not in the path at all.

Of course, the TV connected to Core1 would need to be turned on (which I assume would be done auto-magically).

Questions:

Will this work as described just but setting the audio connections/paths?

What is the routing priority/sequence that C4 uses in these case?  Will it first fill up the Core5 output ports and then start using available Core1s?   If I have four Core1s how will it pick which ones to use?  Can I set the order/rules?  If the speaker endpoint of the requested stream is in the same room as an available Core1, I'd like it to pick that Core1 (for example).  Otherwise, I would not want it to randomly turn on a TV in an occupied room or (worst case) interrupt someone actively watching TV because Core1 in there was idle/available.

Any thoughts/advice?

1 hour ago, cnicholson said:

I have a large project with lots of TVs in rooms with speakers in the ceilings.  I have a Core5 as main controller.  I will have some number of Core1s at some (but not all)  TV locations.  In thinking through some edge cases in terms of concurrent streams, I think I could run out of Core5 output ports to the audio matrix.  For example, several different rooms wanting a digital media source or a Shairplay stream playing music from their phones only in their room.

It occurred to me that all the TVs have audio backhaul to the audio matrix and that the Core1 is an input to the TV.

Is this a way to expand my maximum concurrent streams?   It seems that a valid audio path for a (for example) Pandora stream could be:

Inside Core1-->TV-->Bachhaul-->Matrix Input-->Matrix Output(s)-->Amp-->Speaker(s)

Same thing for a ShairPlay stream.  Core5 not in the path at all.

Of course, the TV connected to Core1 would need to be turned on (which I assume would be done auto-magically).

Questions:

Will this work as described just but setting the audio connections/paths?

What is the routing priority/sequence that C4 uses in these case?  Will it first fill up the Core5 output ports and then start using available Core1s?   If I have four Core1s how will it pick which ones to use?  Can I set the order/rules?  If the speaker endpoint of the requested stream is in the same room as an available Core1, I'd like it to pick that Core1 (for example).  Otherwise, I would not want it to randomly turn on a TV in an occupied room or (worst case) interrupt someone actively watching TV because Core1 in there was idle/available.

Any thoughts/advice?

If your audio matrix can take digital audio inputs you could run a coax from your CORE1's back to the matrix and not have to worry about the TV part.

So...I realy don't suggest you use the HDMI out for distributed audio at all - let alone via a TV.

While it can be done, it's going to create odd situations. First C4 tends to choose HDMI over other connection (you can force coax first, but not analogue) so that TV will be on a lot to send music to another room....

If all you want is to use that HDMI stream for music in the room the TV is in anyway - that's a whole different option, and yes that would be fine (I do this myself in a room, where it'll use the screen saver with media meta data as well)

7 hours ago, therockhr said:

f your audio matrix can take digital audio inputs you could run a coax from your CORE1's back to the matrix and not have to worry about the TV part.

This is the way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.