C4 Forums | Control4

New Lighting keypads

tebery

featuring lower power consumption' date=' stiffer tactile response[/quote']

Do you have a reference for the "stiffer tactile response"? The WAF could improve substantially if you could actually feel when you had turned the lights on...

I don't have any yet so I can't say. Hopefully someone will chime in as soon as they get some delivered.

Can I mix the ZigBee and ZigBee Pro devices in the same project?

If I recently purchased through my dealer a number of non-Pro dimmers and switches, and

keypads for a new project and they have yet to be installed, should I attempt to have them all

exchanged for the ZigBee Pro equivalents?

Which controllers can communicate to ZigBee Pro devices?

Or phased another way: If dimmers required a hardware change to support ZigBee Pro, don't

the controllers also need a similar hardware change?

If I recently purchased through my dealer a number of non-Pro dimmers and switches, and

keypads for a new project and they have yet to be installed, should I attempt to have them all

Or phased another way: If dimmers required a hardware change to support ZigBee Pro, don't

the controllers also need a similar hardware change?

The dimmers are merely a software update. These dimmers now shipping come with Zigbee Pro. The firmware of the dimmers, once upgraded to Zigbee Pro, cannot be downgraded to use Embernet.

You cannot mix zigbee pro and embernet devices in the same project. The entire project must be upgraded to run 1.8 or later.

There's no need to exchange your dimmers, unless you really want the lower power consumption or "better tactile feel". They will still function exactly the same as the new ones.

All controllers can communicate to zigbee pro devices. In 1.8 or later, an HC-300, 500, or 1000 is needed to be the "master controller", making the 200, HTC & MC slaves.

The Zigbee Pro move is a firmware update, and as such, the firmware of the zigbee radios in the controllers (the 1000 doesnt have one) can be updated as well without a hardware change.

If I recently purchased through my dealer a number of non-Pro dimmers and switches' date=' and

the controllers also need a similar hardware change?[/quote']

The dimmers are merely a software update. These dimmers now shipping come with Zigbee Pro. The firmware of the dimmers, once upgraded to Zigbee Pro, cannot be downgraded to use Embernet.

You cannot mix zigbee pro and embernet devices in the same project. The entire project must be upgraded to run 1.8 or later.

There's no need to exchange your dimmers, unless you really want the lower power consumption or "better tactile feel". They will still function exactly the same as the new ones.

All controllers can communicate to zigbee pro devices. In 1.8 or later, an HC-300, 500, or 1000 is needed to be the "master controller", making the 200, HTC & MC slaves.

The Zigbee Pro move is a firmware update, and as such, the firmware of the zigbee radios in the controllers (the 1000 doesnt have one) can be updated as well without a hardware change.

The lower power consumption and tactile changes to the dimmers and switches seems to be more that just a software change.

So if I upgrade my controller from C4OS 1.7 to 1.8 does is automatically upgrade the FW on all of the ZigBee devcies in the project to use ZigBee Pro?

The lower power consumption and tactile changes to the dimmers and switches seems to be more that just a software change.

True, the new dimmers are actually a *new* dimmer, but it is only being released in a ZigBee Pro version.

So if I upgrade my controller from C4OS 1.7 to 1.8 does is automatically upgrade the FW on all of the ZigBee devcies in the project to use ZigBee Pro?

Yes, although it's not *completely automatic*, as there are a couple of steps that happen (it upgrades devices to a 'halfway point' called mini-app, then they get updated from there to Pro after they join the ZigBee Pro mesh network) that a dealer would typically need to be present to join them to the mesh.

RyanE

Are original dimmers and switches still available that do not run on Zigbee Pro? Originally it was said they would be available for quite some time, possibly close to a year. How close are we to that time?

Same question for 3 and 6 button keypads.

Archived