C4 Forums | Control4

ATV tvOS 16 update killed connection

There is a refresh command (may be called something else) on the bridge that will probably fix this.  I have programmed this as a custom button on my system (for the occasional loss of connection that I have had after an update) and also added it to my system start up code so that if a family member reboots Control4 in frustration, this will catch it and sort the problem.

I am only aware of losing connectivity twice in years (I have been using the driver since the day it was released) and this has fixed it both times.

Hi, 
i also tried the "refresh" command, didn´t help either.
Here´s the output triggering it:

-------------------------------------------------------------- ExecuteCommand --------------------------------------------------------------
ExecuteCommand(LUA_ACTION): ACTION: REFRESH
------------------------------------------------------------------ Refresh -----------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------- StopDaemon ----------------------------------------------------------------
--------> [6001/9200]: {"method":"stop"}
--OCSC--> [6001/9200]: OFFLINE
--OCSC--> [6101/9200]: OFFLINE
------------------------------------------------------------- DisconnectRemotes ------------------------------------------------------------
---DEV--> C4:SendToDevice(43, "NOT_ACTIVE", {})
--------------------------------------------------------------- AppleConnect ---------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------- ReadyToConnect --------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------- SetSetupCode ---------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------- StopDaemon ----------------------------------------------------------------
--------> [6001/9200]: {"method":"stop"}
--OCSC--> [6001/9200]: ONLINE
--------> [6001/9200]: {"method":"status"}
<-------- [6001/9200]: {"data":{"bridged":false,"provisioned":true},"method":"status"}
{ data = { provisioned = true, bridged = false }, method = "status" }
Bridge not running...  Provisioned: true persisted setup code: 164-45-896
----------------------------------------------------------- CreateAppleDiscovery -----------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------- BeechDiscovery --------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------- CreateRemote ---------------------------------------------------------------
Creating Non-Voice Remote for Discovery.
--------> [6001/9200]: {"args":{"devices":[{"caps":[],"id":1,"name":"Control4 Remote","state":{"remote_tcm:supported-configuration":{"buttons":["menu","playpause","tvhome","select","up","right","down","left","volup","voldown","audioinput","power","generic"],"ticks":1000},"remote_tcm:target-control-list":{}},"type":"remote"}],"force":true,"name":"","persist":"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","setupcode":"164-45-896"},"method":"bridge"}
--OCSC--> [6101/9200]: ONLINE
--------> [6101/9200]: {"method":"remote","args":{"id":1}}
<-------- [6001/9200]: {"data":{"paired":true,"setupcode":"164-45-896","setupuri":"X-HM://0023QQ1U0Y1YK"},"method":"bridge"}
{ data = { setupcode = "164-45-896", setupuri = "X-HM://0023QQ1U0Y1YK", paired = true }, method = "bridge" }
-         Bridge Started.
<-------- [6101/9200]: {"data":{"active":0,"available":[{"identifier":260487782,"name":"Kino"}],"bridged":true},"method":"remote"}
-------------------------------------------------------------- ParseRemoteMsg --------------------------------------------------------------
{ data = { bridged = true, available = { { name = "Kino", identifier = 260487782 } }, active = 0 }, method = "remote" }
---DEV--> C4:SendToDevice(43, "NOT_ACTIVE", {})
Available[260487782]: Kino

The Apple TV driver just says "Not Activated"...

All I can add is that like @South Africa C4 user I have used this driver for years and it works great. The few times it stops working, I simply reboot my ATV - but I was not aware of the Refresh command and will try this next time to see if it works. If your ATV firmware is up to date and your driver is up to date and you have rebooted both your C4 controller and your ATV, and it still does not work, then I would call your dealer.

2 hours ago, C4 User said:

All I can add is that like @South Africa C4 user I have used this driver for years and it works great. The few times it stops working, I simply reboot my ATV - but I was not aware of the Refresh command and will try this next time to see if it works. If your ATV firmware is up to date and your driver is up to date and you have rebooted both your C4 controller and your ATV, and it still does not work, then I would call your dealer.

I am the dealer. 😉

So what i understand from the feedback here in the thread is, that the latest upgrade itself doesn´t seem to be the problem and it should be working.

So i think i´ll go through a reboot/refresh cycle again with the client and if that doesn´t help, i´ll start from scratch and remove and re-pair the driver and the ATV.

On 11/21/2022 at 12:36 PM, pkkaiser said:

AppleTV IR driver, set and forget no matter what Apple does to screw things up

there is also a great driver that I beleive Jessie created that has just about every ATV command there is. Ip for ATV just has had zero track record of being reliable. 

20 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

there is also a great driver that I beleive Jessie created that has just about every ATV command there is. Ip for ATV just has had zero track record of being reliable. 

Not quite zero. I've been running it for 3 years at two houses with 4 AppleTV's at each house. I'm a day 1 updater and we've experienced no issues so far. So we know it works in at least 2 households. lol.

But now I'm giving @IntrinsicGroup's iOS 16 AppleTV driver a run and it's working quite well. Love the additional features and functionality it provides including access to the AppleTV Control Panel.

37 minutes ago, jimbones said:

Not quite zero. I've been running it for 3 years at two houses with 4 AppleTV's at each house. I'm a day 1 updater and we've experienced no issues so far. So we know it works in at least 2 households. lol.

But now I'm giving @IntrinsicGroup's iOS 16 AppleTV driver a run and it's working quite well. Love the additional features and functionality it provides including access to the AppleTV Control Panel.

I have installed it in over 100 homes with no luck in any of them. Eventually it breaks I have it to help get it repaired or install ir control. I am floored to hear you have no issues. I know that their own 1st party control with the other ios devices does not work at times, which just further solidifies our position. 

1 hour ago, Matt Lowe said:

I have installed it in over 100 homes with no luck in any of them. Eventually it breaks I have it to help get it repaired or install ir control. I am floored to hear you have no issues. I know that their own 1st party control with the other ios devices does not work at times, which just further solidifies our position. 

i only have 1 ATV in my house but i have never had an issue with the official IP driver. it has stayed working through multiple updates. Not disputing your experience just giving mine. I was hesitant to even get one after hearing all the issues on here but so far I have never even had to reauthenticate.

We've had mixed results - we have a few out there running on the IP driver but we've had enough issues - and enough trouble having clients on-site to activate it - that we've stopped using it. AppleTVs are either in a rack or behind a TV and hidden - and as the driver gives no true added functionality it's just not worse the hassle of even the setup

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.