C4 Forums | Control4

Z-Wave - CA vs EA - Generic Driver Questions

Hizzle

I have an EA-5 and EA-1 and have also purchased the z-wave module.  I can setup a z-wave network and detect/join modules/switches to the z-wave network but the generic z-wave drivers don't work on the EA controller.  Is there an issue preventing the generic drivers from working on the EA vs CA controllers?  The z-wave module is the same and the driver allows you to bind the generic driver to the z-wave module but then the driver says that it's not-connected and doesn't seem to query the device to get the information.  Is there really a difference in how the EA and CA operate with z-wave devices, even though the module is the same?

3 minutes ago, Hizzle said:

the generic z-wave drivers don't work on the EA controller.  Is there an issue preventing the generic drivers from working on the EA vs CA controllers?

The generic drivers can only be used with CORE controllers - they use a different built in chip.

To round out my question, I use a Mi Casa Vera today to manage my z-wave devices.  If I can move them to a Control4 controller, I would like to do that.  Would getting a CA-1 to manage the z-wave devices, and continue using my EA-5 as the main controller be an option?  The CA-1 would then act similar to what the Vera is doing today but I'm sure it will be much faster. 

msgreenf, the zwave chip in the module and the "optional" part number are the same so they should be the same chip.   Am I missing something or is there a different chip in the Core CA-10?  Optional zwave module part number to order from the CA-1 spec sheet:

Z-Wave Integrated expansion slot accepts Control4 Z-Wave modules (sold separately) Z-Wave modules C4-ZWE, C4-ZWH, C4-ZWU (sold separately)

Zwave 700 is built into the Core3 and the Core5 only, and uses the new generic drivers.

The Control4 Zwave Plus module could be used with EA and in a chip for the CA1 processors, and it's drivers works with a limited list of devices.

Let me put this differently: to use the generic/universal Zwave drivers (somewhat) recently released by Control4 you MUST have a Core 3 or Core 5 controller as the ZWave hub (which have a built in ZWave 700 chip) - these drivers cannot be used with the older ZWave modules (regardless of if you use them with a dongle or the built-in nesting spot on the CA1, or what version of the module you have).

There are way more zwave devices than zigbee devices on the market.  I have roughly 100 Leviton z-wave light switches in my house.  They blend into the standard rocker switches. I also have heavy duty switches to control 220v loads and outside/weatherproof switches, etc... They are much more versatile and less expensive to boot.

1 hour ago, Amr said:

Can some one shed some light on the importance of Zwave, what are we missing not going this route? Also the support of vanilla Zwave w/o alerting it like C4 Zigbee?!

Pretty much what the guy above said.  There are a lot of not super-expensive zwave devices available to use - switches, sensors, covers, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.