C4 Forums | Control4

Rgbw tape lights

Hello,

New to those forum so would like to say hello. I'm pretty new to control4 , and looking for information on how to do my first rgbw tape light project. I have 4 areas of tape . 3 areas are in a coffered ceiling , amd the last in a kitchen undercounter , and upper cabinets with glass doors. 

I've run many ccts using lv undercabinet lighting but confused on wiring setup with drivers and decoders . If anyone has any pointers or a guide to point me I  the right direction would be awesome. 

I'd recommend using Shelly RGBW2. The modules are cheap, easily accessible and you can use any LED strips with it.  Wiring is also easy. 

Furthermore, our driver is also fairly cheap and heavily utilised in the market, has colourwheel support and Shelly supports a wide variety of products

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/lighting/shelly-suite/

What country are you located in? Different countries have different recommended brands (some US brands such as American Lighting for instance aren't available in Australia or other countries, and Kasta isn't available in USA). It also really depends how complicated you want things, and how much to spend. 

I can advise on the shelly driver, as I actually wrote this one (keep in mind, this is the CHOWMAIN Shelly driver, as there is another driver which was added to DriverCentral recently with a similar name, which is made by a different company, and has different capabilities). Keep in mind, whilst it isn't mentioned in the title, Internet is not required to use the drivers (cloud support is used exclusively to enhance the drivers)

I'm located in Canada. So essentially I could use one of these and add a switch leg  to 12-24v driver then go to the Shelly unit and have rgbw control. While adding you mentioned driver . ?

Thanks for commenting . 

19 minutes ago, Deves said:

I'm located in Canada. So essentially I could use one of these and add a switch leg  to 12-24v driver then go to the Shelly unit and have rgbw control. While adding you mentioned driver . ?

Thanks for commenting . 

Pretty much.. The RGBW2 puck supports 12Amp's too, so, you can run a lot of lighting off the same puck (it would all be one color, but easy to manage, which could be an advantage). You could also speak to someone like American Lighting

11 hours ago, Deves said:

The project im working on it uses a central lighting panel. The Adapter off the switch  could be wired into the Adaptive phase module?  Sorry to ask you so many questions. 

Depends on how you want to wire in the transformer. You could just wire a dumb switch or relay to the shelly and that can be used to turn off the lights. you could also program any control4 switch to turn them on or off. The dimmer module would only be to turn off power to the transformer which would be overkill and ideally you would not want to do that as the transformer is powering the shelly and since its wifi will take a moment to boot and connect before it will start responding to commands.

16 hours ago, Deves said:

The project im working on it uses a central lighting panel.

Take a look at our product line mirusinc.net we have a centralized low voltage lighting system. Not going to be as cheap as shelly but we have a solid product line with options for small installs like the one you are describing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.