C4 Forums | Control4

Chamberlain MyQ continues to gouge

zaphod

On 12/17/2022 at 12:55 PM, Neo1738 said:

Yeah but me being a sucker and wanting my car to know if the door is open or closed will likely pay for subscription. I have had it almost close on me once or twice. 

get the c4 app and a garagadget one of the most cost effective solutions i have seen to control my q doors or really any door.

14 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

get the c4 app and a garagadget one of the most cost effective solutions i have seen to control my q doors or really any door.

Why give your business to a company that makes it so difficult to do something simple.  Put your HA dollars elsewhere.

They have gone to the extent of changing their "dumb" switches so that you can' use a simple relay anymore.

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

or just buy a door that is friendly and compatible from the onset...

While I don't disagree, anything not chamberlain (or their sub brands) is nearly impossible to find around here - part of the problem (and why they can do this crap) is that they have a near monopoly in many areas.

On 12/18/2022 at 6:02 PM, Cyknight said:

While I don't disagree, anything not chamberlain (or their sub brands) is nearly impossible to find around here - part of the problem (and why they can do this crap) is that they have a near monopoly in many areas.

Aren't you in the US?  You can buy Genie openers on Amazon.  Plus they appear to be carried by Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc.

I mean it is annoying, but most companies are charging for connected/cloud type products.  For a while before Intercom Anywhere would work with iOS devices - I was paying 2n a yearly fee to use their doorstation.  I am no expert but I know Ring has paid programs and I think Nest may too.  Sure you can use those for free but not all the features, want extra features it will cost you $40-$70/year or something.  obviously our own C4 charges for 4sight (yes its bundled with other products but 4sight/cloud connection services is still part of the cost)

So with MyQ want to use their app, its free, want to have your Tesla control it, it will cost you money.  Annoying yes, but it is on trend for consumer good/IoT companies- everyone wants RMR to add to their bottom line and accessing cloud services is cheap, but still not free.  

Genie may have another business model and that is great, but I can certainly see why MyQ is doing what they are doing

21 hours ago, eggzlot said:

I mean it is annoying, but most companies are charging for connected/cloud type products.  For a while before Intercom Anywhere would work with iOS devices - I was paying 2n a yearly fee to use their doorstation.  I am no expert but I know Ring has paid programs and I think Nest may too.  Sure you can use those for free but not all the features, want extra features it will cost you $40-$70/year or something.  obviously our own C4 charges for 4sight (yes its bundled with other products but 4sight/cloud connection services is still part of the cost)

So with MyQ want to use their app, its free, want to have your Tesla control it, it will cost you money.  Annoying yes, but it is on trend for consumer good/IoT companies- everyone wants RMR to add to their bottom line and accessing cloud services is cheap, but still not free.  

Genie may have another business model and that is great, but I can certainly see why MyQ is doing what they are doing

But MyQ doesn't charge if you are using their app, just if you want to integrate it with other stuff.  That is one difference with some of the others like Ring.

16 hours ago, zaphod said:

But MyQ doesn't charge if you are using their app, just if you want to integrate it with other stuff.  That is one difference with some of the others like Ring.

They are charging for a “feature”.  The “feature” is integration with other systems.  Ring charges for features.  I was looking at Kasa today and they have charges for certain features as well. 

Edited by eggzlot

17 hours ago, jebt2921 said:

I love the new MyQ integration in my Tesla. Elon wants $350 to add automatic garage door opener to model Y / 3 so I’m good with paying $45/year or $179/5 years to MyQ as I likely won’t have my car for that long anyway.

I have had a Tesla for 8 years and the Tesla Geofencing works with Homelink to open and close my doors automatically.  MyQ via IP makes more sense than Homelink I guess, but the current solutions works very well for me. Are they taking the Homelink functionality away?

10 hours ago, eggzlot said:

They are charging for a “feature”.  The “feature” is integration with other systems.  Ring charges for features.  I was looking at Kasa today and they have charges for certain features as well. 

Kasa and Ring have a cost in server hardware to store video footage.

MyQ has no added cost when the command comes from Alexa, Tesla or anybody else vs coming from their App, they're not adding overhead or AI or server storage, or other cost related service.
They're just charging because they can, and because they didn't do a proper cost analysis all those years ago when they started and now it's a red line on the balance sheet.
AND, they're not consistent as to which platforms have to pay.
Which adds up to it's BS.

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

I have had a Tesla for 8 years and the Tesla Geofencing works with Homelink to open and close my doors automatically.  MyQ via IP makes more sense than Homelink I guess, but the current solutions works very well for me. Are they taking the Homelink functionality away?

Exactly my question.  I guess being able to view/control garage doors while far away from home might be interesting, but Homelink works already and the MyQ phone app is free, right?    

On 12/23/2022 at 11:43 AM, cnicholson said:

Exactly my question.  I guess being able to view/control garage doors while far away from home might be interesting, but Homelink works already and the MyQ phone app is free, right?    

Exactly - MyQ phone app is free.  Or at least it has been until now.

On 12/23/2022 at 9:31 AM, zaphod said:

Issue I have is if my family has the garage open when I pull up if I forget to click "don't open" it will close the door on them or me. Sometimes I pull the car out of the garage and back in to get to things etc and it will accidentally try to close on the car. My Y got the door on it once bc I didn't realize it was closing. This eliminates that. I do like having homelink for backup though. Also I currently have 2 doors and will have a pole barn w 3rd door. We regularly go to my inlaws 15 min away and have their door programmed. Would have to give one up to do with just homelink.

On 12/23/2022 at 9:47 AM, msgreenf said:

every API call has a cost...

True, but the cost is pretty small.  Especially when it is something that is done a handful of times per day, at most.  It isn't like you are hammering an API with tons of calls every second.  Aren't a lot of these API pricing schemes set up based on how many calls, and they often have a free tier for low volume users of the API, but if you are hitting it a lot you have to pay a lot more.

I have a SageTV media server that I use to record TV. SageTV used to provide guide data for free, but that ended a few years ago.  So you have to subscribe to an API from Schedules Direct.  That costs $25/yr to pull down full TV guide data every day for hundreds of channels, including full program descriptions, actors, etc.  The demands on that server would be 100-1000X what they would be for MyQ.  And that costs $25/yr.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.