C4 Forums | Control4

Lutron Keypads & Scenes With Control4

Hello All,

This question applies to both RadioRa2/3 & HomeWorks Systems. In cases where Lutron is integrated with Control4 how are scenes managed with the Lutron keypads?

Would it be easier to do all the scene/keypad function programming in composer or is there a way to link to pre configured Lutron scenes. For example if I wanted a "Relax" button on the keypad in the living room which would set the lights to 75%, turn off kitchen lights, and start playing music out of the C4 system, would I make a scene in C4 that set the lights to whatever levels and started the music or a scene in Lutron for just the lighting, then add the music function to the keypad button in Control4?

Thanks for the help!

Carter, I would recommend you program the lighting scenes in Lutron and then use of the phantom (I think this is what they are called in Lutron) buttons to activate them in Control4. The reason is "popcorn" effect if you control more than a few lights. Basically, each light will turn on (or off) one or a few seconds after each other. Not a great user experience. Creating the scene in Lutron then mapping it to a Control4 scene allows the light command to be run from the Lutron processor and be instantaneous. In Control4, you can easily create a "combined" command that would then run a number of actions from a button press. For example, when pressing keypad button, turn down lights, turn on projector, amplifier, pull screen down and start a movie. If you use Lutron keypads, you can actually do the same thing. The only thing you lose (vs a Control4 keypad) is the multipress as these are not recognized in Composer for a Lutron keypad. 

Integration between Lutron RA2 (and de facto RA3 or Homeworks) works very well and is very stable. Reach out directly or on the forum if you have specific question on it or need help. And programming in Lutron is quite easy and software is/can be (depending on version) accessible to anyone. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the info!

So am I understanding this right: the scenes for lighting are programmed through lutron software, then the lutron keypads actions are programmed through composer pointing back to the pre created lutron scenes or are the keypad actions to activate lighting scenes done all through lutron then a separate keypad action (Composer) to activate any A/V or other Control4 integrated products for that scene?

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to do something similar.  I understand the way to use the phantom keypad but just to be clear can you verify that C4 can see a simple single tap depression of the new Lutron Ra3 keypads and then do multiple actions including sending back a Lutron scene?  For example a Relax Lutron scene button would be seen as a trigger in C4 which then depending on time of day could control the Hayward pool light driver and send a virtual keypad button command to Lutron to trigger an appropriate Lutron scene?  I don't have the C4 system and Composer HE yet and sure would like to make sure this is going to work in advance of buying a bunch of RA3 keypads and dimmers.  

one way to do this assumes you have Lutron keypads:

Build your lighting scene in homeworks and assign it to the button on the keypad

find the integration id of the keypad on the lutron integration report and monitor in Control4 for the Release of the button that triggers the lighting scene

in custom programming set the other actions you want to happen based on the Release of the button

with that principle you can program just about anything to happen from any lutron keypad button

the key is to make the programming actions trigger upon the Release of the button

If you want to make something happen based on time of day you can set up a single Day/Night variable in homeworks and tie that to a timeclock

in this case we'll say Day is sunrise to sunset and Night is sunset to sunrise but you could have any number of timeclocks based on whatever time frames you want

in that timeclock the only thing that needs to be written in the lutron database is the Day or Night variable being true based on the timeclock

on the button programming side select Single Variable instead of Normal or Conditional and this will give you a Day/Night tab for the press

program the lighting scene according to your taste for day and night

on the Control4 side youd have to write a conditional based on time of day to match your Day/Night variable in lutron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.